Capecitabine

I recently saw my oncologist who told me my secondary breast cancer has now spread to my liver. I have been having Fulvestrant injections in my buttocks every 28 days which I found very painful but seemed to work at keeping the cancer in my bones. I felt I could carry on living for years and felt I had choices. Now I’ve been told I either start chemo tablets twice a day for the rest of my life, or I take nothing. 

If I take chemo my prognosis is 3 to 5 years, without chemo my prognosis is 12 months. How do I decide? I am desperate for advice. I’m not sleeping, I cry for no reason and I am terrified of leaving my wonderful husband and family.  I am 66 years old.

My oncologist will ring me on the 7th October to ask my decision. 

Please, please can someone help me know what ths drug is like

Hi Mounties.    I was exactly the same as you I was on Fulverstrant  but stopped working also had more Tumoursin my spine after having a MRI scan, I was terrified wondering if there was more treatment Oncologist has put me on a chemo Tablet Capecitabine been on it a week no side effects so far but early days, I am 77 so older than you, it’s your choice I chose the Chemo tablet option.  I have got a CT scan next Monday and a face to face with my Oncologist who has been absolutely great I do get Scaniety so not looking forward to the results . Capecitabine is supposed to be a good drug there are ladies on here who have been on it for quite a few years.Good luck let me know how you get on.

Hi Mounties,  I have just started capecitabine, I am currently on my week off. I too had an area in liver so they moved me from palbociclib/ fulvestrant to capecitabine.  So far so good, I am moisturising my feet and hands twice a day in case of the hand/foot issues. I also had a bit of acid reflux, solved now with omeprazole (taken 2 hours before). It is a struggle all this we have to go through but there are lots of different regimes and I have read up and seen on forums this is a well tolerated drug and is also good for liver etc.

and like Lesley says drink plenty of water, I do have to make myself as it’s all too easy for me to have another cup of tea ️. 

Take care , keep us updated of how you are getting along and likewise.

claire :slightly_smiling_face:

How have you decided? I’m in similar shoes, and I was curious if the allowed me to be have scans if I turned down chemo and hormone treatment?