73.4K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chemo Buddy Needed - Anyone Currently on Eribulin?

Moijan

Re: Chemo Buddy Needed - Anyone Currently on Eribulin?

Hi Abney,

sounds as if youre having a tough time just now..xx

sorry to hear about that it must be very scary when you feel you cant breathe. Hopefully they are keeping an eye on you.Xx

ask the pharmacist if its ok to try 'first defence' , its only oils, but clots up in the nose and catches bugs when they first start growing....it could help you avoid getting another chest infectionxx

also drink as much fluids as you can.

anyway, very best of luckXx And lots of hugs.

Moijanxx

Abney

Hi ladies 

sorry for the radio silence again. Unfortunately I ended up in hospital again for a week with a chest infection. The shortness of breath and limited movement just hadn't improved. I got home sat. I'm still so weak and barely move. Struggling with my breathing but my sats have been fine. They have provided me with oxygen at home which I seem to be relying on quite a bit. Still managed to have my chemo so that was a relief. Just feel so rotten and hate the fact I can't do a thing without getting out of breath and my heart rate going mad. Spent all day in bed today and only managed to get downstairs around 6.30pm because my aunt came over. Got to go to the hospital tomorrow for a line flush and I feel anxious about getting ready and out for it. Took me 10 mins just to climb up the stairs again and that's with oxygen! I just want this breathlessness and weakness to pass. Have given in to a commode as don't have a downstairs loo and also have a chair for the bathroom. Just feel like such an invalid:( hate relying on people to do things for me and hate how crappy I'm feeling. On so much medication too so I think that is contributing to my fatigue. They have upped my Lorazepam - apparently it helps with breathing and also I seem to be suffering with a lot of anxiety! 

So sorry for the self absorbed post. I do hope you all are ok.

sending lots of love and hugs xxx

Abney xx

sealeswomen

And where were you treated?

Moijan

Hi Marnster, thank you for feeding back re treatment plan. Have you asked about filgrastim? Might save your getting nutrapaenic. Xx

Re travel plans.... yes. What a pain for you.. you can get cover but it can get expensive... also onchas to agree... or it invalidates the policy.
I have the exact same problem in reverse to you! Yes we do have reciprocal healthcare, you'd need o double check what levelyou would get.... I think mine would be purely public hospls at your end.
The only fly in the ointment is that were you to become ill on that long flight, thy would put you down somewhere en route and that's where big bucks might come in..... sorry if that sounds negative but I have been looking into it myself
And if you needed medivac plane home .... Thas very costly xx

Anyway let us know how things go Marnsterxx best of lck with the new chemo
Moijan💚💚💚
Marnster

Hello all!

Just checking in to say hi everyone and hope you are all doing well.

Appointment with my medical oncologist went ok last week. No huge surprises about next steps. I am starting on a combination of carboplatin and gemcitabine from next Tuesday. It has a similar cycle as Eribulin. Day 1 you get both drugs, Day 8 you just get gemcitabine, Day 15 is free and then you start all over again.

Apparently it can really knock your white and red blood counts around and it seems to be quite common to need to have regular blood transfusions. I've never had one before so that's something new to look forward to!

My doctor was very negative about doing any travel, especially overseas, because of the risks of getting sick and having no travel insurance. So that was a bit disappointing, but I understand what she was saying. So my plans to go to Spain and Portugal, New York, San Francisco, etc. may be on hold for a while unless I decide to be Captain Risky and say 'to hell with it'. 

So I am just going to plan a bunch of little holidays around Australia instead in those two weeks I get between Day 8 and Day 1! Or maybe I should come over to the UK for a holiday at some stage because I'm pretty sure we have some kind of reciprocal health arrangements between our Medicare and your NHS?

Oh well, lots of planning to do! I actually have no medical appointments this week for the first time in ages. Looking forward to having a bit of time to organise my house after moving back into it a few weeks ago and looking after myself. Have been to the gym this morning and hoping to establish that as a regular routine before I get too tired and bogged down in the chemo cycle.

Take care everyone!

Moijan

Have finished my pm withasmilexx

withasmile

perfect timing with the toothy graphic Moijan!

Moijan

Hi withasmile...have pmd you re teethxx

sorry about the toothy graphic..,.I had no ideaxx

withasmile

hi Moijan and Marnster

sorry to hear about your fatigue Moijan, if its any consolation I've had it too. . .absolutely exhausted this week.

How was your onco appointment Marnster?

I had to go to the dentsit with a troubesome tooth and we've decided its best taken out. I'm feeling sorry for myself already and the appointment isn't until next Tuesday. Tooth extraction most DEFINITELY wipes the smile clean off my face!

I'm going back to bed now to catch up on zzzzzs.

Speak soon, wishing everyone a happy weekend- Helen looks all set to have a riot!

xx

withasmile

hi Helen (aka Spongebobchemopants?)

so pleased to hear your hair is hanging in there, its amazing how much comes and and yet still leaves enough to look good. We spend years trying to tame thick hair, so now we can reap the rewards thick hair brings!

Enjoy the hen w.e and enjoy that cocktail

xx

helen44

Morning lovely ladies

Sorry I haven't posted for ages but have been reading all your posts everyday. I'm hoping that eribulin is being kind to everyone - I seem to be pretty ok most of the time. It's the chemo free week this week & am going on a hen weekend in London tomorrow, hoping for a sneaky cocktail or glass of prosecco! Moijan - hope you've recovered from yours!

One of the games over the weekend, although I think it will be quite sophisticated (afternoon tea & cocktails), is for the hen to guess the owner of various pairs of pants! We have had to customise a pair & see if the bride can guess the owner from the clues - I have sewn a Spongebob patch on mine!!!

My hair is still hanging in there ladies - the last 3 weeks I've had plenty come out but it was very thick to start with and has just thinned so far. I'm determined to go to my friend's wedding with my own hair, fingers crossed.

Can I just say thank you to all of you. Reading your posts definitely helps me get through the treatment of this b*****y disease. You are all amazing and inspirational.

Big ((((cyber)))) hugs, Helen x

Moijan

Hi ladies,

funnily enough...this week I too,  got kind of overrun with tiredness and very tetchy.....its only week 2

( but am skipping chemo this week and having my next cycle/ week 1 at the usual time...)

anyway, I went to a long  'celebration' on Tuesday and had some proseco, ..i knew the bumf says avoid alcohol, but I fancied a glass!  I only had one glass.

Tuesday evenng it was hot and my head felt as if it was swelling up under my wig....I felt awful all day Wednesday, so i went to bed at 9pm..I also drank copious amounts of pure whole apple juice.

At around luchtime today I suddenly felt ok! Cant explain it....other than i went to the loo a lot late yesterday and this morning....so maybe I needed to get rid of some toxins....who knows?

i do hope you feel a bit better Kay, and Marnster, am still thinkiing of you too xx

Withasmile is likely smiling all along!image.jpeg

Moijan💚💚💚

pussy

Hi Marnster

Hi withasmile

thank you for your replies I certainly will listen to my body I am past worrying about anything else like housework etc will leave that to him indoors 

I never had the energy to do anything apart from sticking vick on my nostrils to protect myself from anyone turning up with any germs by the time I had got  up walked through to room I was tired again 

i can cope with the tiredness I have to day as I can do most things I want to and I know I will pick up now till Wednesday when I start cycle 3 

Marnster I hope you get something easy and all goes well with appointment 

Withasmile make the most of your time off enjoy it while you can 

Hope everyone else is doing ok 

cyber hugs to all

kay

withasmile

hi Kay and Marnster,

I found the tiredness/fatigue came at random times rather than having a set pattern. Just woke up some days and WHAM it was there and was unable to do much except sleep.

I found it best to accept it and do what my bod needed and then it was over and I was back to chemo-normal. . .I bought some new pyjamas which somehow made sleeping more fun!

I have a scan at the beginning of May and we'll decide treatment depending on the results. I'm enjoying the break and completely agree with Marnster about 'normal'.

Hugs and smiles to everyone xx

Marnster

Hi Kay

When I was on Eribulin, I felt relatively normal most of the time but then I would get very tired as you described and have to sleep for a long time or find myself needing a long daytime nap. I think it all catches up with you. Be kind to yourself and your body. Don't fight it if your body is telling you to rest. 

Now that I've been off any chemo for almost two months, I know that what I had come to accept as feeling 'normal' was not normal. I have so much more energy and that background feeling of almost mild flu like symptoms is no longer hanging around. 

Of course, I'm off to see my medical oncologist this morning to discuss the next chemo for me to try so this good feeling won't probably be around for much longer!

Take it easy on yourself. Listen to your body and get the rest you need. 

pussy

Hi Moijan

i am Doing ok apart from the fact at the end of each cycle the fatigued and exhaustion that has come over me is a bit disabilitating  fir couple of days can not think of right word or spelling today As I said in previous post slept for 12 hours I do not know when I ever slept that long perhaps when I was a teenager but the rest of the time I am ok now got indigestion sorted and the other it is my week off starting tomorrow so today though still feel very tired it is not has bad as Saturday evening when it came on then Sunday and Monday so perhaps that will be happening at the end of all cycles. Has it effected you in that way? Or anyone else that is on it 

but over all it is a bit like the paclataxol I was on 2014/2015 but as long as it does the trick I can put up with a couple of days of exhaustion 

hope you are still ok

and withasmile  how are the blood clots hope injections are working when you going back on eribulin

hugs 

Moijan

Bousy XX

Fingers crossed xx Cape stopped working for me too

Hugs Moijan
Bousy

Thanks, I hope so too. I just want oncologist to find something to work for me after cape didn't work.

Take Care,

Liz 

Moijan

Hi Kay, hope things are going well with you?

this chemo seems quite mild....how are you finding it?

Mx

pussy

Hi carolyn52

you are doing so well on the letrozole and avoided chemo for a long time I hope it continues for you 

it is nice you pop in now and again 

take care

kay

pussy

Hi Bousy

good luck with your scan let's hope it works for you and buys you more time before you start eribulin 

Take cate 

kay

pussy

Hi All

i never tried cold cap after reading about it think we go through enough with out adding to it 

I have just finished my 2nd cycle and I have been so tired I actually slept for 12 hours from Saturday night till I woke on Sunday then was tired when I went to my sons for buffet tea so only stayed couple if hours came home went to bed feel shattered today no energy just want to sleep but can't. Hope I feel better tomorrow I think after I finished cycle 1 I had a day were I collapsed with tiredness on settee but this been 2 days my week off starting Wednesday so should pick up. Before you have chemo drink lots of fluid it helps plump the veins 

not sure on pasta because that is not really of nutritional value is it? I like pasta though but can not see how it helps veins 

glad it went ok sarah66 hope helen is doing ok

hugs to all 

kay

Moijan

Well you sound very fit and happy on it tooxxx
Carolyn52

Hiya moijan
I'm like Billy no mates on bone Mets at moment ..it's so quiet ..so I'm hijacking this one ..ha ha ..macaroni cheese is my favourite ..luv it ..hence the reason I'm such a happy person with the trupyofan then !
No chemo so no constipation probs ...cup a coffee and a adcal tablet first thing in the morning and 2pm choc does the trick.
🍫xx
withasmile

Hi Sarah,

yay! Number One done.

By the time I got to Eribulin I'd had three other chemos and my veins were non-existant so I had a portacath fitted. . . its made life a lot easier - no worries at all finding veins for bloods/chemo/CT scans - and although I don't really 'feel' it there, it does look and seem a bit alien.

Sorry the cold cap was a bit much too.

Have an easy w.e

xx

Moijan

Thanks for that Carolyn xx Pasta has an antidepressant in it...,tryptofan, youd need a lot of it...but i do lurve macaroni cheese to bits!   The hot water bottle is a gem.....

hope you are doing well? I was advising soneone to eat chocolate for constipation.. and i then thought..well Carolyn never complains of it, so maybe that whyxxx

Moijanxx

Carolyn52

Hello moijan
Someone on the threads can't remember who ..doh ..said that eating a lot of pasta type food before helps them to find the vein easier ..probably makes them swell .
I don't know the reason but might help if you like pasta ! I always put a hot water bottle on the veins first and drink loads of fluid too. Otherwise I end up like a pin cushion for my monthly blood tests !!
Xxx
Moijan

Well donr Sarah,

i too have vein trouble, but have decided to postpone having a port...most times the ladies get the needle in first try. Do they allow you to soak your arm in hot water first? That seems to help a lot and I do make a point of drinking 2litres prior to my chemo appt.xx also eating well,just before seems to help....

how are you today? i felt unusually tired yesterday..the day after my day 1 chemo.(Am due for my filgrastim injection today to boost my immunity.)

have a great weekend...

re hair, 

i think you may well lose it, sorry...they say 50 of ladies but, i have discovered the 50% seems to be the amount of hair lost! But hopefully you wont.

what you must do is wash it much. Less....

i stopped weekly washes, did about fortnightly...then used simple shampoo and cond, put it on  under the shower, pat it on smooth it through and let the water rinse it out..do not rub or scrub...you can dry with a fluffy towel, but dont rub or scrub...and comb it gently. No heated appliances......or you are more likely to lose it.xx

hope that helpsxx

Moijanxx

sarah66

Hi I had my first eribulin yesterday , took 3 attempts to get cannula in . Chemo itself was ok nice and short. I did attempt the cold cap but with the pain I am getting in my lung too the pain of the cold cap was all too much , and I would have had to keep it on for 90 minutes after chemo , all too much ! Oh well will see if hair stays or goes . Xx

Moijan

Hello Bousy,

welcome to the thread...and welcome to Eribuln...the wonder drug...fingers crossed it works its magic for you xx im just around cycle 15 and its been very good for me....looking forward to hearing how things goxx

Moijanxx

Bousy

Hi Pussy,

I'm on fulvestrant for 3 months to see if it works before going on Eribulin. I have mets in liver too. Having scan in 6 weeks.

Hope everyone is ok,

Liz x

withasmile

Moijan- "needle in first time" the words we all want to hear!

Sarah good luck tomorrow, sending you best wishes and hugs. Let us know how you get on.

Kay, glad you've got the problems under control. I feel quite envious of your daily creme egg.

Love to all xx

Moijan

Yes Pussy, just had my first Erib of I think 15th cycle..... am feeling much better thank you

Sarah very best of luck tomorrow, take heart both of you this chemo is somewhat miraculous..... so expect great results over time.

I was only on the drip for 15 mins today.... such a lovely brief episode, needle in first time.
Have a great dayxx
sarah66

Hi all I am starting eribulin tomorrow , will be using the cold cap to see how it goes. I am hoping I am able to regain some energy ?? And start doing thing , I am in a lot of pain with the lung pleura Mets and in morphine at the momment . Good luck all xx

pussy

Hi Withasmile and rattyspongebob

i hope you are all doing ok apart from ratiness I was like that with my sister last week on the phone 

I ended sending email apologising to her told her not to ring till a few days after chemo she is so forgetful she never use to be she lives in bath so I only see her a couple of times a year I just got fed up of telling her the same things she is well educated done nursing all her life she looks up and studies everything on breast cancer and has been very helpful with all what is going on with new treatments coming out I link to her medical pages to read the latest but this time she did not know you have steroids with chemo also antihistamines etc she thought I had chemo weds and Thursday I found her hard going I am worried as all my mothers side apart from one but she died of breast cancer at 60 all the others have or had dementia 2 from 60 and 2 from 70 and my mother from 80 when she started and apart from 1 who now  is bad with dementia  they all died from cancer as well but bladder in mams case she had bladder removed in 2002 and died in Nov 2016 from bowel primary lung primary and liver but got septicaemia which was the ending and only one from breast her brother prostrate but that is related to breast so they told me when I was Brca  tested 

and have you seen they are removing 2 more drugs from the breast can fulverstant being one of them that is the injection in buttocks one I was going to be put on that if it had not gone to liver

Hugs 🤗 to all

kay 

pussy

Hi sarah66

welcome to the eribulin I agree with the others this is not has bad as others I have had

withasmile and Moijan are very helpful they have been on it the longest so they answer lots of questions I  have just finished cycle 2 

but if you have read other posts you will be aware of my symptoms but I have them under control now 

indigestion was the worse but last week I had a cream egg at 2pm and was crippled up by 4 usually it has been at night 2 days after chemo and I was having my cream egg about 7pm then suffered really bad have changed how much fruit and veg I was eating cut it down and upped my lansoprazole to 30mg so tomorrow there will definitely be no cream egg it is the only thing I never cut out and as I fetched it forward by 5 hours and got symptoms it has to be that so I will see what that brings 

I wish you luck with your new regime and i hope it works well for you in very way 

there must be 6 of us on here now 

withasmile

Thanks Moijan,

I slept for three hours after my yoga class and now I'm smiling again.

Its been a bit hectic this week (and its only Tuesday!) I just to want to do EVERYTHING and I hadn't reckoned on still feeling so tired.

I hope everyone else is having an ok week so far?

Hugs to all

xx

Moijan

Its strange, but mne hasnt really gone...my virus has, but im wondering if its possible to get withdrawal symptoms? Because after my first dose, I always feel great....anyway, i will ask the 'oncle' when i see him tomorrow! Trouble is...would they actually know? He was a bit surprised when i told him that id spoken to others about week three and that a lot of us get it!

hope you feel better soon Withasmilexxx

Moijanx'

withasmile

I've got a dose of your ratiness Moijan!

I think its mainly tiredness, not sleeping too well and can't seem to relax. I went to a yoga class this morning which I thought might help

xx

Moijan

Yes thank you. Xx how are you?xx

withasmile

Hi Spongerat-Rattybob-Spongenarc-"bleep"Rat-"bleep bleep"-Bogoff-Moijan

Hope this morning finds you less ratty

xx

Moijan

Hello Spongebobs xx

here I am,  smack in the middle of week three and feeling ratty as hell.

Was thinking, could change my name to one of several alternatives,:

Spongerat

Rattybob

Spongenarc

"bleep"Rat

"bleep" "bleep"

Bogoff

to mention a few of the nicer options...!

hope you are all feeling ok

?

moijanxx

withasmile

hi Sarah

I think you'll find Eribulin a pleasant surprise after your previous chemo regimes; the side effects all seem bearable.

I have a few quiet days after the treatment but have been able to carry on with life pretty much as normal (albeit with an afternoon nana nap!) for the rest of the week.

I've done a cooling cap twice- once back in the 90s and then in 2011 but I didn't bother this time. My hair fell out after the first Erib cycle so I chopped it really short, then it stabilised, stayed thinner but didn't grow and then it gradually started to thicken up.

When do you think you'll be starting?

wishing you all the best

xx

Moijan

Hi Sarah
Welcome. My hospital were unwilling for cold cap for Eribulin..but you will lose some hair if you don't
The infusion is about 10 mins and unproblematic. Cold cap extends it to about 90 mins in all

Have a scrol through to see the side effects, but after 14 cycles I don't get many ...just get ratty in week three

Hugs and best of luck, it's a doable and very good chemo

moijanx

sarah66

Hi all , saw oncologist yesterday for scan results, EC chemo had not worked on lung pleura mets, pain increasing so next step is eribulin.  I did 3 cycles of EC chemo , previously had capecitabine,  gem / carbo , taxol and FEC for primary. 

I now now have a spot showing on the 5 th rib too. 

Any advice on eribulin ? Don't know if I am spelling it correctly. 

I am on morphinefor for lung pain etc so really hoping this chemo will work. I used the cold cap for EC which worked well on the hair. Any advice tips etc would be gratefully recieved. I know it only takes 5 mins for infuse? Anyone done the cold cap? , if so how long do you have to ear it for after treatment. 

The EC chemo floored me so hoping this will be a bit gentler, I would like my life back please !! 

Thanks all xx

pussy

Hi both

Ureka!

i use to alternate each side in tummy sitting grab fat inject 

also I am not if I understood right not having ct scan till after cycle 6 but will check if the specialist chemo nurses are free for my talk on how it is going which at the end of cycle 1 they were booked up and I refused to go back at 4 0clock but They can ring me I have since found out at 4 if I do not want to do the 20 mile journey 

Kay

Moijan

Hi Kay, hope the prine juice works...if you are like me, then your body will adjust,...it will get better. Im convinced now that its lack of water....i get bored with water, but i try and drink fluids from a measuring jug at least teice in the day..( 500 mlls each time...but usually rooibos)

will pm you too

mx

Moijan

Withasmile,

am pleased about your positive scan..xx

re the injections...yes I always go into my tum...thighs would be painful!  Picked up a tip from Barton there.. I always give it sitting now ( she does it on the loo) I sit forward on side of bed as the fat comes forward and im less likely to hit a previous lump!  I give it last thing before bed and press hard on the area for a while as did get more lumps if it bled after.

they say to move 4cms over each time, but i dont ...I do try to alternate the sides tho

will pm you.

jx

withasmile

hi Kay,

phew- good to get all that off your chest! xx

I hope to stay off chemo until the beginning of May. I have my CT scans every 12 weeks at the moment and the May scan will decide what's next treatment-wise

Have a good dog walk and yes, definitely wet weather gear for the w.e

xx

pussy

Hi Moijan and Withasmile

wii it is Friday and started prune juice Wednesday evening in my nutri bullet with figs raspberries  spinach took ffkaxseed capsules no go again last night same drink but with pomegranate and something else with a tablespoon of flaxseed oil in during the day I had glass freshly squeezed orange juice rooibus red tea plus my 2 litres water and a few cups of normal tea still no go so this morning have had apricots with my skyr yoghurt and just took movicol which I will take through out he day not sure what I will have to lunch but I know I am having jacket sweet potato and beans at tea my choice if I have not been but I will eat around 4 in the hope I do not get this really bad indigestion otherwise I feel OK to walk dog today

i did have on wed evening my knees were aching quite a lot not sure if that is to do with the eribulin but will see

Withasmile you enjoy your freedom  whilst you can how long you coming off for have you had a 6 month ct scan yet?

Moijan when my hub gets on my nerves taking over MY housework he does not do it properly he never dusts and we have a log burner and that causes lots of dust or even loads dishwasher properly I have to sort it when I know he has switched it on I get up stop it and put them in order the paddle can not even turn it is hitting his big plate everything put in backwards I am sure he is losing the plot any way I take dog out at these points even if we have already been out for normal walk or go to another room as the more  I scream and shout the more stressed I get sometimes I think he does these things to annoy me he will not answer phone because there is no one who rings him then he wants to know ever bit of conversation I have had and who it was I just say if you answered it you would know then they would talk to you MEN!

now i that of my chest hope every one is doing ok 

have I missed any newbies if so I am sorry and how are you doing?

i have just had part 1 of cycle 2,

hugs 🤗 to you all have a lovely weekend weather permitting looks as if I will be getting my wet gear out 

kay