Docetaxol

Just had my first dose of the T and despite being fine on the FEC ( three cycles although dose was reduced after cycle 1 due to neuropenia sepsis) . It’s now Day 9 and although the mouth issues have cleared up I’m feeling increasingly tired and having to take anti sickness meds- something I didn’t need on FEC . Also I was admitted to hospital on Day 4 with a temperature and whilst not neutropenic was given intravenous antibiotics followed by a course of oral ones which finish tomorrow. My temperature seems to hover around 37.4 but sometimes drops to normal. I am feeling very low with this as I can hardly function or eat much which I know is essential to increase my immune system. The unit have just told me to monitor the temperature and contact them if it rises to 38. Anyone know when I might begin to feel normal?

Hello. Reading your post has struck a chord as it is day 11  after the first T which followed 3 FEC. Today is the first day of feeling vaguely normal and able to enjoy food.  I was beginning  to think it may never happen. The side effects were very different to those on FEC. As you describe there has been an overwhelming tiredness. I too required anti sickness for a couple of days 8 and 9 and had mouth problems. Hopefully you too will feel better in the next couple of days.

Hi Angie
Thanks for your reply- I too am just beginning to feel less fatigued on day 10 but now have hot burning feet which keep me awake at night! Added to that I’ve been told not to take painkillers in case I mask an infection and so I’m struggling to keep my temperature under control as it doesn’t quite reach the 38 degrees when I can phone the chemo unit for advice. This does make me feel quite unwell at times. Not looking forward to two more doses of this- I had my FEC reduced to 80% after the first one sent me into neutropenia sepsis and hospital for 5 days. Good luck and let me know how you get on with the rest of the cycle - nice to chat to someone who’s at the same stage as me!

Hi Ange
Thanks for your tips- I will ask about Ibruprofen when u phone the unit today although again I think with me it will be difficult as I am on Ramipril for blood pressure so have had to avoid it in future!! My feet seem to have recovered I’m pleased to say and I thought yesterday I was beginning to feel normal - so I went for a gentle walk and then was wiped out for the rest of the day with the usual increasing temperature by bedtime. Today I’m back to feeling exhausted and bleughhh with that horrid bitter taste in my mouth. Am hoping to feel ok by next week when dose two is due…