HER2-low trastuzumab deruxtecan (Enhertu)

Hi All,

I work in the Policy and Campaigns team at Breast Cancer Now. 

Trastuzumab deruxtecan (also known as Enhertu) which is already available on the NHS for certain patients with secondary (metastatic) HER2 positive breast cancer is now being assessed for treating HER2-low unresectable or secondary breast cancer after chemotherapy. 

This is the first time a treatment is being assessed for HER2-low. Broadly speaking, HER2-low re-defines the classification of HER2 negative into: HER2-low which refers to tumours with an IHC score of 1+ or 2+ without HER2 gene amplification and HER2-negative with an IHC score of 0. 

If you have received trastuzumab deruxtecan for HER2-low  secondary breast cancer, for example, through the clinical trial or privately, we want to hear from you to inform our work on this treatment. 

The assessment of this treatment for use on the NHS in England by the National Institute of Health and Care Excellence (NICE) has just started and we expect a decision in autumn 2023. 

If you’d be happy to share your experience, please get in touch with policy@breastcancernow.org Any views shared with us would be used anonymously. 

Thank you

Holly 

Hi Holly. I’ve just been diagnosed with grade 3 invasive (primary) breast cancer, and awaiting FISH testing of my biopsy which came out as HER2 2+. They have told me I will have chemo before surgery in any case, but the FISH results will determine the drug regime.

Based on your post and having moved on a year from your post, is there anything I should be asking / pushing for if the HER measure does not come through as HER 3+?

It’s all very scary and overwhelming at the moment and waiting for the next results and appointment is hard.