Did you mean: 

Letrozole - Different brands

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted

Re: Letrozole - Different brands

Highlighted

Hi Angel Eyes

What is male pattern baldness...? I would google - but not had good experiences with Dr G.. as we all know!!!

I have tried requesting particular brands from the local pharmacy, but like others - told they give out what they have in stock.... until she gave me the best solution.... online!!!

A company called ECHO online pharmacy now send my meds via Royal Mail and have since received FEMARA. I have just started this week so can’t report anything - but it was like winning the lottery when it came through the post! I had read about fillers in letrozole and didn’t want generic I wanted original. I’m lucky my GP accepted my request.

Try ECHO...hopefully you can get fermara too!

All the best

B😊

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi

Cipla seems to be the brand that causes the most ‘extra’ side effects so you can ask your pharmacy to avoid getting that one. Your GP usually would have prescribed Letrozole, not a particular brand, it will all depend on what your chemist can get hold of as to which one you actually get.  Femara is much more expensive than the generic ones but you could ask your GP to prescribe it although I found out what I was on letrozole a few years back that both GP and Pharmacists are quite sceptical about the different side effects each brand brings, therefore maybe reluctant to prescribe the branded medication. From what I’ve seen on the forum, or the secondary part at least, there’s been very little reported cases of male pattern baldness, maybe there has been on the other part of the forum where many primary ladies are also on Letrozole?   You could ask the same question there?

Nicky x

Highlighted

Hello, 

II have to take Letrozole and am terrified about male pattern baldness. 

Can I request Femera through my GP? Is it still available? Has anyone here experienced male pattern baldness and if so on which brand? 

I've been prescribed the brand which seems to attract the most side effects (beginning with C - cannot remember the brand name).

I know there is a different Letrozole thread here somewhere citing baldness at the crown of the head as a side effect that 'creeps up' after taking the drug for eighteen months or so.

Angel Eyes x

Highlighted

Hi all

I was fascinated by this topic, as I just thought I had to deal with aches and pains!

Initially I was given the Cipla brand from the hospital and continued with it (even requesting it from pharmacy) after reading this thread I changed to TEVA this month to see if there was a difference - I can confirm there has been. I will try and request Femara next month for even better results - fingers crossed 🤞🏽 

Thanks all🥰

B

Highlighted
Community Champion

Ah, excellent news. You can choose your pharmacist and get the best brand that works for you. Onwards and upwards then! Good luck. 🍀

Highlighted

Hi, yes I did initially get letrozole from the hospital but it’s now prescribed by my GP so I’m free to go to an independent pharmacy.  I’m also on Palbociclib which is prescribed by my oncologist at the hospital. I’m not a private patient, the NHS have been brilliant with the way my treatment has continued during lockdown. 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Woodbonsai, you appear to be on a different sort of treatment route to those who have answered your query. Or I might be mistaken, but it seems you are the only one getting Letrozole from the hospital. Only my first prescription was from the hospital, since then my GP prescribes so I am free to choose an understanding pharmacy, as are others on here. Are you being treated privately which may make a difference . Letrozole can be openly prescribed so is there any way you can get your GP to do that? You wouldn’t then be constrained by having to have the cheapest bought in. Best wishes. X

Highlighted

I agree Susanmanchester.  There is definitely a difference in the different brands, despite what the medics tell you.  The problem I experienced was that the hospital pharmacy only stocked the brand I had an allergic reaction to for a long time.  They told me that they had no control over what brands they got, the buying department purchased whatever was best value at the time.  Luckily the independent pharmacy I go to now is brilliant and phones round to get exactly what I need and keeps a back-up supply in stock just for me.

Highlighted

Hi I was having awful joint pain on Accord and insisted on speaking to pharmacist- now taking Teva which apparently is closest to Femara . Aches and pains radically reduced less fatigue- they say no difference but clearly there is 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi

When I was on anastrozole and subsequently letrozole I really noticed a difference in the additional side effects different brands gave me. I can’t remember exactly what the ‘extra’ SEs were but enough in one instance to have to have an additional medication prescribed to get rid of it.

I did a lot of checking at the time and many ladies felt the same - both primary and secondary BC. Cipla was my worst brand and Teva the best. Originally, especially when I had anastrozole in 2008 I had the branded version but then both aromatase inhibitors came out of license which is why you just get a non branded generic version. As has been said sometimes the different fillers cause the problem but my GP also said it an be down to the release mechanism where the active ingredient is released at a different rate (to the branded drug which is the one that was originally trialled/researched and prescribed). If you find one of the brands works for you ask your pharmacist to make a note on your file which brand you prefer, and also which ones to avoid.

Nicky x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Yorkie, my secondary breast cancer friends call that brand ‘crippler’ as it is just awful. I tried three different brands before I settled on the one I’m now using, which is TEva. The hospital gave me Dr. Reddi which was ok but immediately a bit achy painy. I spoke to my Onco and he said different brands use different fillers which can affect us in different ways. I tried Accord which wasn’t as bad, and Cipla made me throw up. Teva is great with fewer aches than the others. My GP pharmacy couldn’t , or wouldn’t, always get me that brand, so with encouragement from my Onco I had my prescription sent to an independent pharmacist. Bless her, she has phoned around the country to source this brand and keeps a little stash in for me. I initially went into the pharmacy to have the conversation with her about how I was affected and she was extremely sympathetic. I’ve been on this brand since October 2017. Go for it and try different brands. We are all so different that what suits one does not always suit another. X

Highlighted

Hi Woodsbonsai,

Thanks for your reply, it's really helpful. 

The brand that I'm taking at the moment is Cipla and as well as the joint/muscle pain, I've had very itchy skin. 

I'm definitely going to speak to my team next week when I'm at the hospital. I can't remember the brand I was on before but know the packaging. Hopefully, they will be able to give me the old brand again 🤞

Thanks again x

Highlighted

Hello Yorkie 1,

yes I have noticed a difference between different brands of Letrozole.  There is one brand in particular (Accord) which doesn’t suit me.  It made my joints more painful and worryingly bought me out in a rash and I had to get strong anti histamine from the GP.  At that time it was the only brand available through the hospital’s pharmacy so they asked my GP to supply it.  Even then I could only get the Accord brand from all the big pharmacies locally.  In the end I managed to find a local independent pharmacy who now gets brands that suit me.

i spoke to the Oncologist about it and he said it’s becoming more prevalent for certain brands to effect some people, but they have no reason why it’s happening.  Don’t suffer in silence, if a brand doesn’t suit you ask to try and different one.  I hope you manage to get sorted.

Highlighted

Letrozole - Different brands

Hi all,

I've recently changed brand of letrozole and I'm noticing I'm much more achey than usual. Has anyone else experienced this? 

I'm due my first scan since starting treatment so I'm incredibly nervous/anxious that the treatment might not be working and this is why I'm now feeling sore. 

Thanks x