Paclitaxel

Hi All,

If anyone could share their experiences / side effects of paclitaxel, I would very much appreciate it. Any success stories?

I’d also like to hear from anyone who has gone on to a more ‘kinder’ drug since. This is my mum’s first IV chemo since being diagnosed with secondary breast cancer 2.5 years ago. I am apprehensive that from now onwards it will be all harsh and unforgiving IV chemos. 

It has been confirmed that there is some bone marrow involvement (after receiving stable scans end of April !!). We thought we could breathe a sigh of relief for the next 3 months, but apparently not. Breast cancer, the gift that keeps on giving!!! Praying the paclitaxel does the job! The only consolation is that my mums looks and feels the best in ages after two blood transfusions. It is difficult to believe she is not well.

I just wish for someone to find a drug to indefinitely keep it at bay!! Soooon !!! 

Sending love and hugs to All xxx

Hi

Paclitaxel is one lined up for me when the time comes. I asked what was the point since it obviously didn’t work first time round and was told 1. The dose is lower 2. I might metabolise it differently 3. It’s one of the kinder treatments. I don’t know if that helps - it’s an oncologist’s perspective, not a ‘victim’s’. There is also an alternative which is even kinder - nab-paclitaxel. I have come across women moved onto that but I think it’s combined with another treatment. 

The side effects remain the same, unless you do metabolise it differently. Peripheral Neuropathy would be the deterrent for me as mine has never gone away. I’m used now to tingly toes and fingers lol. BUT I have read of many success stories in the groups I belong to. I’m afraid it’s all hit and miss for us, no predicting what will work and how it will affect us. I’m glad to hear blood transfusions have helped - I keep asking but I’m so borderline I get told it’s not necessary! So I continue in vampire-mode.

Best wishes to you both. I hope the paclitaxel is kind to her,

Jan x

Hi @Secondarysister2  
I had weekly Paclitaxel last year as part of adjuvant treatment for what was then thought to be early stage breast cancer. The plan had been 4 rounds of EC followed by 12 weekly doses of Paclitaxel. I ended up in hospital with diverticulitis after the very first infusion of Paclitaxel. I don’t think the chemo was the cause, but the high dose anti-sickness drug and resulting constipation played their part. I missed the next 2 doses whilst I recovered, but went on to have 9 more. I had a dose reduction for the last 3 because I had some peripheral neuropathy. PN is common, and is one of the more serious side effects, as it can be permanent - whilst mine is mild, it is still there. Other than that, it was the relentless nature of weekly treatment that I disliked the most, having very little time each week when there wasn’t some side effect or other. That said, it was never extreme. 

The CT scan I had at the time of the diverticulitis led to the discovery of secondary spread in my liver. Seven months later - after an unsuccessful liver ablation and a fair amount of hospital faffing - I went back on systemic treatment last week. Immunotherapy (Pembrolizumab) plus NAB-Paclitaxel. The first week has been largely symptom free. I am aware that I have had seven months to rebuild fitness, including getting back to regular running, and I am comparing that with how I was after 4 rounds of EC and being flattened by my period in hospital. My biggest concern is the PN building up again, especially as I have to have this for 6 months this time.