cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shoulder and Humerus replacement due to Secondary Breast Cancer

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Shoulder and Humerus replacement due to Secondary Breast Cancer

Hello OllieDollie,

My metastatic cancer was found in my humerus in Nov of 2016.  I had a great surgeon, and had humeral replacement surgery in dec 2016.  I am unable to raise my arm up as well.  I can probably raise it to my ear.  But my surgeon told me that would be the result. They could not re-attach the muscles in the back.  But I still see a PT to help me with mobility, and it really helps.  I have strengthening an stretching exercises to do, and I find that if I stop doing them (like lately), my shoulder and arm freeze up and I do have pain.  I learned however, that I can’t force things.  My arm will never be what it once was.  But I am still learning how to live with it, and ways to strengthen it and improve it.  I think what made mine hurt more and have less mobility was the radiation I received right after surgery.  It made things worse, mobility -wise.  See if you can find a good PT to help you.  My surgeon says I shouldn’t have pain, but I do, especially if I don’t work with it.  But things do get better.

Best of luck,

9em9

Hi I am going down a similar road. I have found a book which has given me comfort. It is called Higher Self Now by William Buhlman. It won't cure you but it has reassuring words for you and those who are dear to you. Easing your mind will help ease your body. Good luck.

Oh my gosh, your post has touched me deeply, and I wish you better days - I hope you get some support from professionals - emotional as well as physical.  There's nothing I can say to help - but I just wanted you to know that people are here . . . . with kindest regards.

Shoulder and Humerus replacement due to Secondary Breast Cancer

I was originally diagnosed with primary breast cancer in June 2016, in May 2018 I was diagnosed with secondary breast cancer in my bones and had to have a shoulder and humerus replacement in September.   All the professionals I have dealt with have never had a patient with my symptons with this form of operation and really don't have much knowledge on what movement, pain etc I can expect.   

I have very limited movement in my shoulder and unable to lift my arm up from my shoulder - I have physio and hydro-pool physio every week but I don't seem to be progressing - has anyone else had this kind of operation and what movement do you have?   I am constantly in pain if I try moving my right arm.

I also had my ovaries removed last month and suffering from menopausal systems especially hot flushes, which means my sleep is very poor, as well as not being able to sleep on my right hand side - I am so tired and drained.  Is there anything I can do to help.

The worst thing about this disease is the not knowing, no-one can reassure me that everything I have been through and everything I am doing and taking is going to make ay difference or give me a longer life expectancy.  I am single and dealing with all of this on my own and its so incredibly hard - any advice is greatly appreciated.