Started Paclitaxel yesterday - anybody further along with this treatment? How is it please?

My breast cancer journey started over 7 years ago and I have had two lots of different chemos since then. This will be my third lot and I am looking for a bit of feedback please.
I had my first weekly Paclitaxel yesterday and so far so good, I don’t feel rotten! The steroids are keeping me awake though and have been since 3am! I am scheduled to have 24 weekly sessions, which seems a lot, but put into context, I suppose it would be 8 x 3 weekly cycles, if it was done that way! 
I would be interested to see if anybody has had/ is on Paclitaxel and how they found it? It’s early days for me and I am expecting some side effects. I’ve also come onto this forum, as I know we’re all in the same boat and support is essential! I have plenty of support at home and beyond, but can’t share my deepest thoughts with loved ones, for fear of upsetting them xxx

Hi Alwayshope,

I am more or less exactly where you are with the paclitaxel. Please could you join in under the Paclitaxel Buddies thread so we can all stay together. If you read that thread you will see that most cope well with the paclitaxel and it is doable. After only two doses I have had problems with sickness and fatigue which I found/ am finding difficult but I’m inspired by others who have posted and am hoping things will improve for me. I hope you have minimal side effects. There is some great advice on how to minimise them.

Wishing you all the best,

Bee x

1 Like

Hi

I’m 17 months on from Paclitaxel. I agree it’s doable and definitely worth it but each person responds in their own way. Some are lucky to get through it with few problems but don’t feel bad if you are one of the unlucky ones, like I was. And don’t be misled by the leaflets that make you fear a shed-load of side effects - you may get one or two but It’s nothing beyond managing. 

Paclitaxel was offered to me as ‘better tolerated’ than EC (I had 3 of them, then 9 Paclitaxels) and with fewer side effects. Definitely the immediate side effects (fatigue and general zombie-ness for me, no nausea) lasted less time so I had maybe three out of seven days when I felt I could face the world confidently. I was told I’d definitely lose all my hair but I didn’t. I started with what I’d describe as mild peripheral neuropathy, which took the form of tingling in my fingertips and toes and I still have that, along with the peculiar neuropathic pain it can cause. It’s still early days and this may yet wear off. In terms of short-term effects, it was way easier than EC.

My treatment was adjusted according to my response and I was also offered the option to stop after the 5th session (I had a rib injury following a minor car accident and the PN made the pain rather severe) but I got through it. To be honest, no matter the side effects, if it’s the recommended treatment,  it’s got to be worth a try at least. 

I hope you get an easy ride but, if you’re like me, you just count down the weeks. You’re soon past the halfway mark and nearly there!! I wish you all the best for a successful run xx

Hi there - it sounds as if we’re completely in the same boat. I was diagnosed straight to stage 4 in 2013. Initially EC in 2013 and then Palbociclib in 2016. I started Paclitaxol at the end of July this year.  When I asked how long for, my oncologist said “until it stops working” so I’m very keen to get a pattern that I can live with. First month I had a pre-cocktail of steroids, anti-histamine and stomach liner. This month they stopped the steroid cocktail and it’s been misery - very breathless with violent vomiting every Wednesday (treatment on Thursday). I didn’t like the steroids but now I’m begging for them back.