73.3K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xeloda / Capecitabine - Your Top Tips, please?

HelenAquarius

Re: Xeloda / Capecitabine - Your Top Tips, please?

Hi fellow capers.. sharing some good news.. had ct scan and results showed stable lungs.. hoorah! This is my 3rd chemo in a year after progression on paclitaxel and then Eribulin gave me bad peripheral neuropathy so had to stop that.  Happy to be a stable mable this time. 

Happy new year everyone

Helen xxx

george

Thanks, Barton. It made such a difference having a few extra days 'holiday' from Cape. Also, the reduced dose has made SEs so much easier to manage. Start cycle 8 tomorrow.
Hope you had a lovely Christmas too. Can't believe how quickly it has gone.

George x
Barton

Hello George - glad you got some days off Cape over Christmas - it makes all the difference when you aren't tied to eating times re taking the peachy pills!

Thanks for the good wishes, and same to you and all other Cape Crusaders.

Hugs. Barton.x

george

Hi Abney

glad to hear that you are out of hospital and that you have been able to celebrate Christmas; it sounds like you have had a lovely time which you have definitely earned after having to spend Christmas in hospital. It is always a relief when people react positively to our changed appearance as a result of chemo. I remember being very reluctant to show my shaved head to my niece and nephew ( 11 and 14), but they were totally unphased and my niece had great fun trying my wig on! 

I have been 'lucky' in that I was able to get off the cancer train for a few weeks. Onc gave me a few days extra off chemo and has reduced the dose so I was able to enjoy all the family / friends get togethers. I have had a really lovely time although I have probably drunk a little too much red wine! Back on the train tomorrow though as I have an onc appointment and TM results. Also, waitng for CT and MRI scans to check I am still suitable for a liver resection. Honestly, the fun never stops!

Good luck with chemo on Wednesday. Often the thought of treatment is worse than the reality, in my case anyway. Make sure you have lined up some good DVDs for Thursday; that is what I used to do when I was on. Taxol so I had something to look forward to the following day when I didn't have much energy.

Hope all other Cape Crusaders are doing well. Happy New Year to you all. Xx

George

Carolyn52

Hello Abney
Blood thinners are a big part of everything ...when I had my hip op last year ..I had to do six weeks of fragmin injections ..aagh ..my tummy looked like a pin cushion afterwards but better to be safe !!
Xxx
Barton

Hello Abney, glad you had such a lovely, relaxing time over the weekend!

I know what you mean about dreading the chemo, but trying to tell yourself it is ultimately helping you. Putting poisons in, to hopefully kill the other poison inside you. Good luck, and best wishes.

Hugs. Barton.x

Abney

Hello lovely ladies thank you for your replies and happy new year!
Wow I'm certainly not alone on the blood thinners! Interesting to hear so many of you in the same boat as me. Thank you for sharing this. I hate the injections and hubby has to do for me as I just can't do it! I know I'm a big wuss! 😂
How was your New Years? I had a lovely time at my sisters. Very chilled evening with yummy food and watching fireworks on tv. Today we celebrated Christmas with all my grown up nieces and nephews (they were all partying last night!) had a lovely roast dinner and opened our presents. I was very excited as got a pair of ugg slippers! Perfect for now! They all were so sweet when they saw me without the head scarf on- husband shaved my hair off yesterday. New start with bald head again!

So now need to build a bit of strength for Wednesday's chemo session 😩 Must remember it is helping me 🙏

Sending lots of love xxx
Stacey

I am not on chemo yet, but expect to be next month.  I had pulmonary embolisms after a long haul flight in 2005 so once I start chemo I know I will have to be on blood thinners as well.  Giving myself the heparin shots freaks me out for some reason, I have to do so every time I fly long haul.  So I do hope there is a tablet alternative. 

nicky08
Community Champion

Hi ladies

And a Happy New Year to you all - and all mets ladies. Sorry you had such a long stay in hospital Abney but glad you are now home and hope you have a lovely belated Christmas celebration. 

I too am on Rivaroxaban, which is one of the new types of blood thinners. I was previously on Heparin daily injections but asked to be moved to the oral tablets. I have continued to have them whilst on, or off, chemo and there are no cross implications other than a non-cancer patient would have with regards them currently not having an antidote. However the tablets effects last for 24 hours, unlike warfarin, so your blood is not thinned for the same length of time which presumably why they are now a fairly routine prescribed drug. I see one of the few (2? 3?) cardio-oncologists in the UK and I know he would not be allowing me to take the tablets if there was a contra indication so it is worth asking about if your own oncologist and/or cardiologist is unsure and you would like to change from the daily injections.

Good luck to all Cape crusaders I hope 2017 is a better year forgot and for us all.

Nicky x

Anneemay

Happy New Year everyone and hopefully a more healthy one. I am also glad to see the back of 2016 and feel more positive for the year to come.

I am up to see my oncologist on Thursday to see what to do next !!!!.

I am feeling quite well at the moment, eating well and gradually putting on a little bit of weight which my husband is very pleased about. I lost so much prior to my hospital admission.

The last time I drained the right side of my PleurX catheter there was no drainage so I am hopeful that the effusion has dried up the only other explanation is that it is blocked but I am not getting any symptoms to suggest this, a chest xray is the only way to confirm. I am still draining 500-600mls from the left side so I think the plan will be to put me on a lower dose of Cape to see if this will dry the fluid up. Hopefully I will not react so badly to them this time but I am fully prepared and will remain positive to the outcome. 

Good to hear you out of hospital Abney and you were able to enjoy Christmas with your family all be it belatedly. Best wishes and hugs. Ann xx

Bousy

Hi Moijan,

Yes thank you I have found the bone mets group, will join. Saw oncologist on Thursday and have now started cycle 4. Not feeling up to mark last couple of days. Temp was up a bit but after an early night it has come down. Not eating much tho. Have a scan on 23 January to see if tablets are working. The best new year present would be that they are working. As I don't have many side effects I feel they won't be working. Pain from radiotherapy is kicking in this week, they said it would get worse before it gets better. Good job I have morphine for pain.

Everyone have a happy new year. Glad you are feeling a bit better Abney.

Liz x

Barton

Hello Abney, so glad you are out of hospital at last and improving a little bit. I, too, am on blood thinners for the rest of my life after a DVT in late 2014 in my right calf. I am currently taking Riveroxaban tablets as I am on a chemo break. However, once I return to chemo I have to return to the Fragmin tummy injections as my Onc says the tablets haven't been tested with chemos.

I do hope you continue to improve.

Hugs. Barton.x

Moijan

Hi Bousy....hope you fond the bone mets thread?

Its titled.....

.Bone mets - please join in and its under' living with secondary breast cancer' not under

'treatments and medical issues'

Moijanxx💚💚💚

Moijan

Abney! Oh am so glad you are at home now....that was a very long hospital stay.....would have driven me bonkers!

I too am on tummy injections for ever, as I got a dvt on Cape...fairly early on in my two years. The hospmissed it as it was just a swollen ankle at first...but then the ankle to knee! So I was packed off to my general hosp for an ultrasound. im on Daltaparin/fragmin, but there are another heparins about. My venous cons said that the new tablets have no antidote and so im not eligible....these short acting heparins are safer for us at the momentxxx

do enjoy your New Year celeb and xmas....(.I missed my birthday and my xmas last year, due to a broken wrist .....took me a while to catch up too!)

keep in touch Abney💚💙💚

Moijanxx

Abney

Hello lovely ladies, thank you so much for all your messages. Was really touched. So sorry I haven't replied sooner. I "escaped" hospital last night. Relieved to be home as I could feel myself sinking into a bit of depression. Still feel so exhausted and coughing but need to except it's part of it all. Had a heart scan again as they trying to work out why my heart rate is crazy. But heart is working normally. Still have the fluid around the artery but it hasn't got worse and still the same so they not concerned. They are hoping my heart rate will calm down once all the medication has had time to work. As a result of the clot I'm now on tummy injections every night long term:( I think once my chemo finishes they may review and switch me onto tablets but I have to be on some form of blood thinning meds for the rest of my life. Oh we'll never mind!! The oncology team feel pleased that this has all been treated and are confident it shouldn't happen again. They are hopefully Paxitaxol will work for me so I have to be positive. I'm back in it on Wednesday. Been in bed all morning and my lovely husband has been bring me breakfast and lunch! We are going to shave my head today as its a terrible mess. I think it's more upsetting seeing chunks of hair missing. At least when I'm bald it's my choice!! I have lots of scarfs I have been wearing already so will continue with that! We are going to head to my sisters later for a mini new year celebration and tomorrow we are going to celebrate Christmas! A nice roast dinner, all the family and presents! Looking forward to that!

How are you all doing? I do hope your Christmas's was better! Wishing you lovely ladies a happy new year and let's hope we all have a positive 2017!!! I can't wait to see the back of this year!! Just hope next year is kinder! Sending lots of love and thank you again for all the support xxxx
Moijan

Hi Abney

hope things are going well......enjoy your day xxx

Moijanxx🎁🎉

bonariensis

Hi Abney I'm sorry to hear you are in hospital for Christmas but probably the the best place to be for you. Hope it's a good day tomorrow with your little one. 

B xx

george

Hi Abney,

Sorry to hear your news, but pleased things are more settled now and you have had some positive news re: tumour shrinkage and continuation with treatment. Not where you want to be at Christmas, but it is the best place as at least you know you are in safe hands. Hope you have a good day.
To all other lovely Cape Crusaders, have a wonderful Christmas and here's to a good 2017. I always live in hope, all we can do. 😊🎄🎄🎊🎉
Barton

Hello Abney, so sorry to hear you are back in hospital - and such a frightening experience too! You have really been through an awful lot this last week - I do hope things start to improve for you soon. It sounds like you are a bit more comfortable now, but sorry you will have to spend Christmas in hospital. It sounds like it is probably the safest place for you at the moment, though. Good luck, and hope to hear more good news soon (shrinking of chest tumour excellent!).

Hugs. Barton.x

Moijan

Hello Abney, you poor thng! i think you are so very brave!

I am so glad they managed to bust that clot and am overjoyed about the tumour reduction. As you are in hospital im sure they will keep you mobile, wonder why the clot appeared?

Could it have been something to do with the pleural effusion? Or as youd been feeling so poorly, were you a little less mobile? Thats how I got my leg clots 2 1/2 years ago, try and drink loads of water( unless they tell you not to)  sounds like you are in a general hospital? And I cant recall where you are from..but you are obviously in a good placexx

Have a good christmas Abney, will check in here from time to time

Moijan💚💚💚

Carolyn52

Hello abney
So sorry to hear you are in " jail" for Xmas but it sounds like the best place to be and you will feel secure that you have the best care.
Enjoy Xmas and I'm sure your family will spoil you with pressys and visits.
Carolyn xxxx
nicky08
Community Champion

Hi Abney

Have just read your post and can't believe what a frightening time you have had! Thank goodness though that you had gone into hospital and all of this was spotted, if you had been at home who knows what would have happened with the blood clot. Although I know you would rather be at home you will be in good hands and back on your own two feet in no time. Wishing you (and all Cape Crusaders) a Happy Christmas and I hope you get to enjoy the present opening with your family and get back home ASAP.

Take care

Nicky x

Abney

Hi ladies I hope you all are ok. Just thought I'd let you know that I'm back in hospital again. Came in on Monday for routine bloods and line flush in prep for chemo on Wednesday and my heartrate was up to 160 and temp 38! Nurses were thinking neutrapenic so took me straight to A&E. Anyway after lots of tests they discovered that wasn't the case but the pleural effusion was back but on right lung this time. So was re-admitted! Thinking ok they'll drain again and I'll be home in time for Xmas -had to have a CT scan which basically showed it wasn't just that I had a massive clot across the lungs:( at first they thought it could be treated with injections but I started getting progressively worse and couldn't breath. So they did an emergency procedure in the early hours of the morning to burst the clot- scary and not best experience. However it seems to have worked and with medication hopefully that will disappear. But my breathing and heartrate have been bad so they have me in the high dependancy unit. Currently have drain in to pump out the right lung which has been so painful. Been on a lot of morphine. Also had pic line changed yesterday as my first one was blocked! Was told yesterday I won't be home for Christmas which is upsetting but my husband will bring my little one in to open some pressies. One good thing out of this all is I found out the tumour on my chest which was pushing up against my artery has shrunk a bit! So looks like the radio I had when I was last in hospital has worked! I know this can change but to hear something positive really does help. Also I was scared they would take me off the Paxitaxol but they are not so that should resume next week or week after. Not that I'm desperate for chemo but was worried another treatment was gonna be abandoned!
Anyway I hope you all have a lovely Christmas and sending lots of love xxx
Barton

Hello Bousy - sorry to read you are currently experiencing so much pain. Hopefully that will subside soon and the rads reduce your levels dramatically. Glad Cape seems to be working for you so far and that you are coping with it. Long may it continue.

Hugs. Barton.x

Carolyn52

Hello Liz
Welcome ..bone Mets thread is under " living with secondary bc" which is under this one.then you will see " bone Mets .please join in " ..most of us with bone Mets meet there . I have bone Mets to hips femur pelvis and spine too ...had one blast of rads and felt a bit ropey for a few days ..they say it can take 14 days for it to kick in and help.xxx
Bousy

Hi Moijan ,

yes im on morphine tablets and they have given me oramorph so it helps. Feel like I've been kicked with a football this morning. I know it gets worse before it gets better.

How do I get on bone mets forum, when I search for it can't seem to find it.

liz x

Moijan

Hi Liz,

sorry you re in pain, did they give you anything to help relieve it?

If not, try and chat to your gp or bcn. Maybe some of the girls on the bone mets thread can share what they take for it.xx

Praying that the rads will help asap.

have a good Christmas

Moijan💚💚💚

Bousy

Hi everyone,

i went for some radiotherapy treatment yesterday to relieve pain I have in left hip. Turns out I have tumours on vertebrae of spine which are pressing on nerves causing pain. I had 5 doses in one yesterday. They warned me pain will get worse before it gets better and it is. Felt terrible yesterday. Hope to feel better today. Cape seems to be ok so far, just finished 3 rd cycle, have scan in January to see if it's working.

Hope everyone enjoys the holidays.

liz x

Moijan

Hi Catherine...good luck with thatxxx

Moijan💚💚💚

CatherineJ

Thank you all for replying. I did go for a second opinion last week and he said Carboplatin, so I will ask again about that tomorrow. So many choices at each stage!
Downbutnotout

Hi Catherine - sorry to hear of your latest diagnosis. All I can tell you is my own experience and what my oncologist suggested. I started with Carboplatin and Gemcitabine after my recurrence. Apparently people with TNBC respond well to the platinum based chemos, such as Carboplatin. After Gem Carbo I tried Capecitabine (Capecitabine is the generic name for Xeloda). It's given in tablet form. You have 14 days of tablets and then 7 days off. Most people seem to find it quite easy and I know some have successfully taken it for a number of years. I was one of the few who couldn't tolerate it because of a lack of the enzyme necessary to metabolise it, so I had less than one cycle. Having said that, even the small dose I had seemed to be reducing my skin mets.

I think the only way to assess if your onc is right with her treatment plan is if you got a second opinion but that would take time.

I hope this is of some help and maybe some other ladies will be along to tell you from their experience.

Best of luck with everything.

X

Barton

Hello Catherine, welcome, but sorry you have had to join us. I'm afraid I can't help you with your decision about which chemo to have. I haven't had Carboplatin, so don't know what that would involve. Have you had a meeting with the Chemo team to explain your choices (I know you are seeing your Onc tomorrow)? If this is instead of an Onc team meeting (pre-chemo type thing), make sure you go armed with paper and pen and ask lots of questions. I hope you have someone to go with you - if you do, ask them to also write stuff down as you will probably (understandably) be totally confused by it all.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but we are all here for you. Most of us "hang out" in the Bones thread, under the next header down from Treatments (sorry, can't remember the name at the moment!), even if we don't all have bone mets. 

Whichever chemo you decide on, it might be a good idea to also follow the thread for that chemo -everyone generally has lots of usefull tips for coping with that particular chemos se's (side effects - unfortunately, you will soon become horribly familiar with all the terminology!).

Hugs and best wishes. Barton.x

CatherineJ

Hi, I'm new to this area of the forum but have just been told I have bone mets and possible liver mets. I'm triple negative. My primary was found last Christmas and i was considered Stage 1b so this is a real shock. I've never had chemo as my tumour was considered too small at primary, so I had lumpectomy and rads. My question is: I'm going to have chemo next week and I've read that a lot of triple negative ladies have Carboplatin.  My onc is suggesting Xeolda and Capecitabane.  How can I find out if she's right? Is this combo because I've never had chemo before? We see the onc tomorrow for the final decision and I'm trying to learn as much as possible. Many thanks for reading this. X

Barton

That's great, Anneemay! I hope the lower dose means you don't suffer those nasty effects again!

Hugs. Barton.x

Anneemay

Yes I will be seeing my oncologist in January so I'm anticipating that I will continue on the Cape but on a lower dose. Ann xx

Barton

Oh, Anneemay, so sorry to read you have been so ill! But glad you are now out of hospital and feeling slightly better - I hope everything improves soon. Are you going back on Cape (because of good results) when you are over this hump? Hoping improvements continue.

Hugs. Barton.x

Anneemay

Haven"t been around for a couple of weeks as I was admitted to hospital after having a urgent appointment with oncologist. I had just started my 3rd cycle of Cape on the Thursday evening but by Sunday morning I felt so unwell with the diarrhoea and vomiting I contacted the oncall nurse and advised me to stop taking the Cape. I was not eating as I didn't feel hungry and was gradually losing strength to get out of bed.

I am now home after having I.V fluids to rehydrate and correct my electrlyte imbalance, C.T scan and colonoscopy. The good news is that all investigations revealed no problems and that my pleura mets had improved on the Cape. So now have just got to getter over this blip and let my tummy settle down as it still is not completely right. I have also got oedematous arms and legs because my albumin levels are low so now on a high protein low fibre diet with no alcohol. Still it"s good to know that I will get through this and it is only temporary.  Ann

george

Hi Barton, Moijan and Still here

Thanks for your good wishes. I am feeling more settled than last week. I know things change and I will have lots of stress in Jan with scans and TM results, but am enjoying the good news while it lasts. Had a great day today, living in the moment.😊Hope all well with you all and thanks again.
Have a good week

George x
Barton

That is excellent news, George! Wow - personal service from the consultant! You are lucky. You now have a good plan - here's hoping you can rest easy now for the next couple of months.

Good luck withthe Cape.

Hugs. Barton.x

Moijan

Yes George,

i agree with Stillhere.

they are obviously looking after youxx

Moijan💚💚💚..

Stillhere

So pleased for you, George, now you can relax and enjoy Christmas! You are honoured having a personal call from the Consultant, they are obviously giving you some thought and it's good to have a definite plan of action. Have a good week! xx

george

Can't believe it. Liver consultant just phoned me, how good is that? Explained why I can't have RFA and that onc'suggestion to carry on with chemo for a few more cycles w is fine. Will arrange CT scan and MRI for late Jan and make an appointment to see me in Feb so op.likely to be end of Feb, early March. So here's hoping chemo continues to work until then. Feel much more reassured and amazed that he took the time to call me, never had that before.
Hope everyone else doing well and SEs are minimal.
Have a good week

George x
george

Hi Barton

Thanks for the reply. My Onc gave me a little break from Cape due to sore hands - fingers tips are peeling and hands red and sore. Only got extra 4 days on week off, but better than nothing. Have made the most of weekend to eat what I want and drink lots of red wine, not great for liver!
Good news that you can have a break over Christmas and that everything is stable. I am sure you will enjoy the festivities.
I am still stressing about when to have liver op. All so confusing🙄
Enjoy rest of weekend 😊
Barton

Hello Georege, yes, was given a 6-8 week break when I last saw Onc on 1st Dec. Mainly due to very sore fingers, but also to the breathlessness I have been having. I have another appointment to see Onc on 12th Jan to review things. I had completed 14 cycles since restarting Cape early this year.

Hugs. Yes, damp and gloomy in "sunny" Devon, too, today!

george

Hi Barton

Thanks Barton. Are you having a Cape break now? How long for? I am hoping Onc will put me on Tamoxifen when I take chemo break as it has worked before, but you never know.

Have a good weekend. Very wet and gloomy here. 🌧
Thanks again, George x
Barton

Hello George, yes, you are correct - I did have a break of several months. I was then on Exemestane during the Cape break, but it stopped working (I'm apparently only mildly hormone receptive now), so was put back on Cape. Apparently they had been considering putting me on Vinelorbine, but when I asked if I could return to Cape because it had worked so well for me originally, they agreed. So I still have Vinelorbine in reserve. During this current break, they haven't bothered putting me back on Exemestane as it didn't work previously.

Hope I haven't waffled for too long. Good luck, George, with whatever you decide to do.

Hugs. Barton.x

george

Hi Barton, did you mention that you stopped Cape for a few months and then started it again? Just thinking as know will have to come off chemo for op.
Have a good weekend

George x
george

Hi Barton,

I was on 4,300 and now been reduced to 3,800. Onc seemed confident reduced dose would be just as effective. Still feeling anxious about whether to have op sooner or later. Hopefully, will get an appointment with liver specialist again soon.
Bousy, glad to hear pain has reduced.
Sarah, sorry to hear Cape stopped working. We're you on it for long? Taxol stopped working for me, but new treatment more effective so far. Good luck with your new treatment.

Have a good weekend all

George x
Bousy

Hi everyone,

New painkillers are easing my pain already. I have a CT scan in January to see if cape is working or not. 

I had FEC first time round in 2012 with my primary tumour, which wasn't too bad. 

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Bousy x

Barton

Hello Sarah66, so sorry to read Cape has failed you. I too had FEC-T for my primary, in 2011. Hope it does it's job for you again.

Hugs. Barton.x