63369members
333428posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xeloda / Capecitabine - Your Top Tips, please?

Re: Xeloda / Capecitabine - Your Top Tips, please?

Hello marli, sorry you have had to join us but welcome to the Cape Crusaders. Good luck for tomorrow.

You have done the right thing in reading through the other posts on here, but there are so many I know it is difficult.

You are also right to be prepared with questions to ask - please try and have someone with you to make notes and listen to stuff you might not hear if you are stressed (totally understandable).

The main thing to be aware of is the big D (diarrhoea), although some people have the opposite problem (not me). Some people also suffer from nausea. The hospital should give you pills to ward off those problems. Also, sore hands and feet. Please be prepared with plenty of moisturing creams.

I wish you good luck - please keep in touch and let us know how you get on. Ask us any questions you like.

Hugs. Barton.x

Hello Ladies. Hope you don't mind me joining you as I start Capecitabine tomorrow and am rather nervous.

I have been reading through some of the earlier posts as well as the more recent ones and have found out quite a lot of useful information. It has bee more than 3 months since dx with secondaries in liver and peritoneum (abdomen) so have had a long time to dwell on it.

To cap it all because I have had chemo before they have not given me the introduction. I am, however going to ask as many questions as I can.

Any questions I should ask and any tips please. Marli x

Community Champion

Was reading your last post and thinking 'yes, its hard to make plans' its a rough road we are all on - but its a good idea to put in a few plans  for small things to look forward to xx

Moijan💙💙💙

Thanks everyone for your support and advice. I see Oncologist next week so it gives me time to make a list and plan what my next step is ? I certainly feel strong at the moment. I am putting things to the side though as I feel that it am giving the signal to my illness to take over. I know that sounds a bit mad !

Just worry about family and how they will manage. Not all my family knows and my Parents went with me to the last appt. I think it made them realise how unwell I am. Told them that I take each day as it comes and there are going to be rough days. We keep trying to go out for the day but does not happen as I am unwell so it has to be last minute decisions.
Hugs and thoughts with everyone xxxc
Community Champion

Racer, I agree with the other ladies, try and get a second opinion. I have challenged my oncologist on numerous occasions and have also been referred to the Marsden on several occasions. It may be that Cape isn't benefitting you as much as maybe something else can and a major teaching/research hospital will have far more tricks up their sleeve than a local hospital will. Hope you continue to feel a bit better and get out and about a bit more as you seem to have been doing.

Nicky x

Racer
I don't post very often but would agree - try and get a second opinion . The royal marsden possibly if it's close to you . I did the same and have been there ever since .
Community Champion

Racer, did you get a second opinion? (Will pm you)

i

you sound as if you want to fight this....its important that you are true to yourself...the oncs WILL tell it like they see it....but it feels pretty damning and set in stone when they speak like that....I wonder if they realise?

my gut feeling is...get a second opinion at somewhere you trust...

Moijanxx

I know what you mean by emotional, racer! 9 times out of 10 Onc appointments I end up bawling at the slightest thing - luckily my sister can remain calm and finish my questions for me! It's always good to take someone with you if you can. I'm glad you weren't alone at your last appointment.

Hugs. Barton.x

Thanks Barton . I am going to take my Husband to the next appt . I suppose I am not going to like what they say but think I will make a list . I had taken my Mum to the last appt and she thinks the Oncologist was listening and knows what a strong person I am .
We will see and as you suggest try to stay calm as I do get emotional . Think I am stubborn lol . I will keep you posted xxxx

Hello racer, lovely to hear from you! I'm afraid I can't help with advice about disagreeing with your Onc - luckily, I have never (yet, anyway) been in that situation. However, I still think that as it is your body they are talking about, you ought to have much more of a say in what they do to/for you. I would enlist the help of your obviously very supportive husband, and make your wishes known. It is probably much harder to do than for me to say, and obviously do it as politely and calmly as possible.

Sorry, probably have been of no help whatsoever! Hugs and best wishes to you and your family.

Barton.x

Happy Easter everyone . Hope you are having a good weekend and eating plenty of Easter eggs lol xx
I saw Oncologist on Thursday and it was my actual Consultant which made me nervous. He asked me if I thought that the Cape was benefitting me . I told him I had been sick but felt quite well the last couple of days. Also I felt it was positive as I feel I am doing something to fight this horrible disease.
The Oncologist does not think I am benefitting from the Cape and that it is more side effects. He said my platelets had dropped slightly and my Hb. He asked if I wanted to continue treatment. I said it has been taking a couple of weeks for bloods to recover. The Onc said it is my liver that is the problem and will decide in a couple of weeks when I should have my next cycle. Think I am going to have a battle as I want to continue and feel that they are not giving my med a chance to work .
Also I feel inspired with everyone's support and positive stories. I feel they are giving up on me and I am the one that has to deal with the sickness etc.
I actually went out on Friday night and drove the car there too which I have not been able to do for a few weeks.
Are there any suggestions/advice about what I can do if I don't agree with the Oncologist ? I know it is going to get me but want to be as normal as I can for as long as possible. I have set short targets such as my Daughter's prom etc .
Sending cyber hugs and love to everyone. Just got to keep fighting and be positive .
Xxxx
Community Champion

hello Cape Cockerels!

just wanted to say.'Lucky man' is on tonight...such a lovely escapist programme!

hope Easter is treating you all wellxx

Hi George,
Hope the tamoxifen keeps you stable for as long as possible. I was on it for 5 years after my primary and had no issues with it whatsoever. I think the plan is for me to go back on it at some stage too. Best wishes. Waffles xxx

Hi Waffles

So pleased your been chemo is working for you and that the pain you were experiencing came only from wind. We always imagine the worst with this disease, don't we? Yes, I was very pleased with my results, just hoping that Tamoxifen can keep me stable for a little while before I have to go back on the hard stuff. Seeing Onc mid May so trying to make most of time before then. Keep us posted with hiw you are getting on.

Have a wonderful Easter everyone.

George x

Re: Xeloda / Capecitabine - Your Top Tips, please?if

Hi George,
Been off line for a while, through fear, as much as anything else as last chemo failed and had increasing pain in liver area so wasn't confident Taxotere would work. Luckily had good results so big sigh of relief for a couple of months and a bit of peace till the next scan. .Liver pain appears to have been trapped wind caused by IBS and stress. Pain now gone amazingly!! I can imagine anything.
Really great to hear your news. Love Waffles xxx

Thanks for comments ladies, I find my nails are much hard and thicker than before which I put down to the adcal pills. I think I do need to see a podiatrist - am hoping I'll get if free rather than having to pay privately!

happy Easter weekend cape crusaders!

helen xxxx

Hi Waffles

Lovely to hear from you. How are things with you?

George

Hi Moijan, Sorry haven't been on for a while been getting into the Inspire forum and there's only so much cancer talk that I can do ha ha. I've got a second cold where I haven't been "sick" for years but I look at it positively thinking that perhaps my immune system has finally recognised my cancer cells but can't cope with dealing with them as well as a cold bug. Haven't been to my O2 therapy for a couple of weeks cos of infections but I will probably go back when well again. But overall doing ok. Hugs to all of those who are newly diagnosed and those struggling at the moment xx 

Lovely to hear your good news George.
Community Champion

Hi Cape crusaders

When I was on Cape in 2013/14 there were quite a few comments about pain with toenails and it was always the big toe nail! I was having problems with one of mine and realised it seems to be one of those extra little side effects that these wonderful treatments give us! So, definitely not uncommon. My big toenails in particular became very thick and brittle whilst on Cape which has continued since coming off it whereas my fingernails are paper thin and like little razor blades - I have to be careful on not accidentally slicing myself! They are not great condition although I'm trying to add a treatment oil at night to help them and I have to keep them very short or they will flake/bend/break.

Oh well, if it's doing its job it's a small price to pay for this chemo I suppose.

Nicky x

Hello London, and all - re nails - my finger nails on Cape are paper thin and bendy (have to keep them really short), but they grow realy fast and the cuticles too. Also, I have hairs (luckily very fine and pale!) growing on the backs of my two index fingers! Bizarre! At least I don't have hair on the palms of my hands - yet! Luckily I have never had trouble with my toe nails from chemo, and not on Cape either.

Well done Helen and Lindylou for your Cape cycles. In answer to your question, Helen, I have had a couple of 6-8 week breaks from Cape and stayed stable. However, when I had a longer break (due to sore hands and severe breathlessness), and was put on Exemestane, I had quite a lot of progression and thats when it went to my bones. Apparently I am only weakly hormonal now which is why the Exemestane didn't hold it at bay. That was a break of about 8-9 months, though. Hope that answers your question.

Congratulations on your break, London, however short, and glad you enjoyed your riding. Can't help with the flakey skin on your fingertips, though, apart from lots of cream which is what you are already doing. I'm getting the same problem. I do put a blob of Doublebase moisturiser (the hospital gave me a couple of tubes ages ago) on the sore fingers and put plasters on over night. That helps a little.

Hugs to all. Barton.x

Hello all! Having a few extra days off was good as my lips and feet are fine now! I have to go to Barts tomorrow to see if I'm okay for the the 2nd cycle of tablets. ( I went riding too!)

But now although they don't hurt in any way the skin just behind my finger nails is suddenly very dry and flaking off despite having loads of cream everyday. My nails though are very hard for the first time ever and are growing fast, this seems most odd! Has anyone had this as a side effect and if so what worked to get rid of it? Thanks all!

Hello Ladies,

I have been taking cape since September 2016 when I was diagnosed with skin mets only a few weeks after finishing all my treatment for primary breast cancer. I find it ok, very achey sometimes, fatigue etc but can't work out if that is the cape,herceptin or anastrazole? Difficult isn't it?  

Well HelenAquarius I just had to reply - saw a podiatrist last week and she had a right go at my big toe nail.

That night the throbbing kept me awake so kept daubing savlon on it and now just about able to walk  in shoes properly again!  I see this podiatrist about every six weeks.  Not sure I want to it she is going to cause me problems!

Best wishes to all on cape

LindyLouLou

Hi Racer, thinking of you and sending cyber cuddles your way :-)

ive done 7 cylces of cape now, last 2 have been hard due to fatigue - seem to spend 50% of my life dealing with this poopy disease - don't we all!  With appts or organising and taking meds or lying on the sofa with zero energy. 

Anyway, have had ingrowing big toenail for years that I manage fine, but recently skin on toes gone downhill with the cape, and I've been poking about too much with a sharp pair of scissors (eeek!) and managed to make it infected! Bum! Not badly but I mentioned it to onc who has put me on antibiotics and given me a week off cape - hoorah. Feel strangely blessed!

I asked for a longer break soon as want to regain energy and he laughed and said, how long for.. 5 minutes? At least he's got a sense of humour! He said when I get my ct scan result (having scan tomorrow) if stable then would consider 6 weeks off..

So.. question. Who else has had time off cape and for how long and did you remain stable?

love to all crusaders... hoping to stay in the cape club for as long as possible! 

Helen. Xxxx

Oh racer, so sorry to read you have been sick and are so tired all the time. As others have said better than I can, please rest as much as possible, and keep as well as possible. Good luck with your Onc appointment on Thursday, and do let us know how you get on.

Hugs, and best wishes. Barton.x

Community Champion

Sending you big hugs, Racer, you are going through it at the moment and it's never easy when you feel so bad. Tough times but you're a tough cookie. Look after yourself, carry on doing what you need to do, not what everyone else would like you to do even if it means some disappointment not being able to get out and about. We're all here looking out for you. Hope all goes well later in the week at your onc appt and update us when you want to.

Nicky x

Community Champion

Hi Racer
Lovely to hear from you... I know having to rest must make you feel a bit powerless, but the others are right..... rest up till you feel better.... give your immune system a chance to recover ....

eat small snacks, drink loads and get up every hour or so for a trip to the loo or just a walk to the kitchen... keeps your blood moving and also may help you feel a bit betterxx

lots of love to you... keep us updated, oh and tell everyone to cover their mouths when sneezing/coughing..... I'm always telling my oh and any children I'm in contact with

Moijanxxx

Hi racer

Thanks for updating us. Sorry you have not been feeling too good and I hope your new regime of rest and small snacks is working. I know I am stating the obvious, but you do need to look after yourself. I have spent days in my pjs as sometimes our bodies just need rest and tlc. Good luck with your oncology meeting on Thursday-will be thinking of you.

Hugs, George x

Hi everyone sorry not been on forum . Not last week but the week before I have been quite sick. Macmillan Nurse came to see me last Monday and told her how unwell I have been and to look at my anti sickness meds. Felt fine and saw Oncologist on Thursday who agreed to me going on the Cape for a week and two weeks rest. I had found 3-4 small lumps in the side of my neck and she thought I may be brewing an infection .
My son has a cold which I think I have caught from him. Today is first day not been sick but I just have a lack of energy. My hubby has said at times when I am talking to him it does not always make sense. He said I look spaced out sometimes. Just been going to bed during the day and stayin there until the following morning. I just want to keep fighting this and feel bad as it is School holidays and cannot go out. We have had to cancel a few things as we don't know how I am going to be .
See the Oncologist on Thursday just hoping I can continue the treatment. My hubby went back to work today but is stressed as he knows I will say I am fine when I am not . So another pj day today and just eating light snacks.
I will try and post at the end of the week when I have seen the Oncologist. Hope everyone is ok especially people who are having a rough time.
Love and hugs to everyone xxxx
Community Champion

Racer, havent heard from you either, how are things?

moijanxx

Community Champion

Babsy, hows it goin?

Moijanxx

Hi London

Glad to hear your mouth and feet are getting better. It is all trial and error, isn't it? I tried so many things on my mouth and feet before I finally settled with things that worked for me. Easy for me to say, but I wouldn't worry about having a week off Cape. I am sure you will still have enough in your system.
Have a good weekend in the sunshine.

George x

Thanks George, I have used gelclair too and it worked well at making sure I had no mouth sores and finally that and newly prescribed this week caphasol seem to have the lips getting better each day. In hindsight I'm pretty sure my lips touched the tablet the first time I took them. I was warned not to touch them and tip them from the foil to a cup as they are so caustic. I'll know next time to put a barrier lip balm on my lips first!!

I got some moisturising gel socks this morning from Amazon and finally I have no problem walking too! I only hope my liver mets dont decide to start regrowing on this additional week off. But I still feel fine! I always think in many ways I'm healthier and certainly fitter than a lot of people despite all!

Hope everyone has plans to enjoy the sunshine this weekend.

Hi London

I know it isn't what you wanted to hear, but I am sure the extra week will give everything a chance to calm down. When I had a sore mouth, the only thing that helped me was a treatment called Gelclair. I am not sure whether it works on the lips too; it is expensive, but I think you can get it on prescription. I had bad mouth ulcers and Gelclair cured them completely when everything else had failed. It is a very kind treatment so might be worth asking your team if it would be appropriate for you.
Yes, I am definitely intending to enjoy the sunshine when it arrives. Really enjoying the light evenings at the moment.
Have a good weekend all😊

George x

Hello London, glad to hear you will be getting a dose reduction - hopefully that should sort the sore mouth issues in future. However, apart from the mouthwash for the inside of your mouth, have you thought about a normal lip salve for your lips? I use an ordinary Boots one (not because of the Cape, but I have always had dry lips) and that works quite well. Or try ordinary Vaseline. It sounds like you need a temporary barrier of some kibd, with some moisturising properties.

Good luck and hugs. Barton.x

Well they are going to delay the next set of tablets by a week with a probable dose reduction too so that my sore lips have time to heal. Sensible really but not quite the news I want to hear as mostly in every other way I feel perfectly fine (now). I haven't been sick at all and no big D either!

Any tips for using a mouth wash and getting your lips coated too? I have no sores in my mouth so I obviously did that okay but it is hard getting the stuff on the lips too! Unluckily the first time of taking the tablets I caught it on my bottom lip so I'm sure that's why I have had the problems! I use a spoon to dip my lips into mouthwash now which seems to help. My feet are a bit sore still but perfectly manageable now!

I Hope everyone is able to enjoy the forecasted warm weather this weekend! Sian

Thanks London and Barton. Feel I have a 6 week respite until next meeting with Onc and more TM results so will make the most of the time. Glad to hear you are so active London, it certainly helps to keep busy when we can. I am getting more active but, have to admit, I have enjoyed watching DVDs while I recuperate. On series 4 of Game of Thrones. Used to watch Mad Men during IV chemo.
Hope everyone enjoying the sunshine and Cape is treating you well

George x

Brilliant news, George! I'm so pleased for you! It's always lovely to read someones good news.

London - a dose reduction shouldn't make any difference to the effectiveness. I believe the Americans have done a study which shows that a lower dose is just as effective. I think Oncs generally start people on the highest dose possible to see what they can tolerate. It seems to me you are on too high a dose currently, so your hospital team could very well give you a reduction. By the way, the effects are cumulative, so I'm not surprised you are feeling worse on your week off - you will probably find that the week off catches up with you during the first week of your next cycle and you feel better then- that's what generally happens to me, anyway. Good luck.

Hugs. Barton.x

Hallo Sian, well congratulations on your new horse! Your news has brought me out of the woodwork, having a mini break from cancer stuff and have just spent a glorious 5 days in Venice, so beautiful... I didn't feel bad on my week off Cape but my hospital did an unusual regime of one week on/ one off. Hopefully they will jig the dose so you feel ok on it, I got 2 1/2 years out of it and felt better than I do on my current trial. Only thing I noticed....nearly 18 months on,my feet still got red and sore after walking in Venice! 😕 better to be in the saddle!!😀 I'd love to hear about your new ned, PM me if you have time x

I like your good news story George! My liver mets are really quite big now but I still hope that this chemo will be the one to shrink them properly! I've never had any symptoms from the liver and bone mets and have only ever felt unwell on treatment! I really still lead an active life when I can and this forced sedentary life is tricky! Lucky I work for myself and can do as much or as little as I need to keep me sane!

Thanks Nicky, I really wasn't expecting to feel worse on my week off! My plan was to go and ride my new horse on the weeks off, but he is not here yet luckily and hopefully like you with a reduced dose things will settle down soon and it will be the 'doable' chemo I was hoping it was going to be. As far as I know the form I signed said I have only got 8 cycles planned. Sian

Hi London, just want to echo what Nicky said. I started Cape last August and I was on the maximum dose until Christmas. I suffered with big D during my week off, but put up with it as I was anxious about reducing the dose. Finally, I succumbed and asked for a lower dose and regretted I had not done so sooner. No more big D. Also, the reduced dose was just as effective as TMs continued to fall.
Back to today, saw my oncologist who had the histology report following my operation -couldn't believe the news - there was no sign of cancer in the liver, only scar tissue. In July, 3 lesions had been detected, the biggest one being 1.2 cm so Cape had been very effective for me. Seeing Onc again in 6 weeks to see if Tamoxifen keeping bones stable. If not, will probably be back on chemo so fingers crossed.
Hello to all Cape Crusaders and hope treatment is being kind to you.

George x

Hi racer

Good to read your uodate but sorry you are suffering with nausea. I do hope your oncologist had some positive news for you last Thursday. Your son sounds such a considerate young man, you must be very proud of him. Also, hope you are having some stable days without too many side effects. Keep us posted when you can x
Community Champion

Hi Sian/London1

I had a dose reduction immediately when I started Capecitabine back in 2013. I continued to have stability in my bone mets for the 18 months I was on it and also shrinkage in my liver mets in that time. After 18 months a scan showed slight progression in the liver mets which is why I moved to a different treatment. 

It's all down to a balance between not suffering too many side effects and getting results from the dose you are on so tweaking it is fairly normal. In fact when I started it my oncologist said that you are usually started at the maximum dose to see how you tolerate it but most of her patients moved down to a reduced dose and this was almost always the case in her experience.

Enjoy the week off although sometimes you can feel a bit worse, as other ladies have reported.  I found it took me a few cycles of Capecitabine for my body to adjust to this new treatment regime so didnt feel great however after that I felt pretty good all the time I was on it.

Nicky x

I'm now in my week off after the first round of capecitabine. My onc is away this week so I am having a nurse assessment before it all starts again. But as my feet are still sore and my lips are really sore and swollen too they say I'll have a dose reduction straightaway and possibly delay the next lot too. I need a bit of reassurance that a reduced dose so quickly will still work. I haven't been sick and no mouth sores and have mostly felt fine so on balance I feel I've tolerated it okay but the nursing team seem to talk as if I'm very fragile which I don't think I am. Is this normal ?

And here is one for stillhere! Crazily I've bought myself a horse! Sian
Community Champion

Well done Racer, yes Cape used to make me very sick in the beginning....hope tomorrow is a better dayxx

Lovely hear from you again, racer! Sorry to read that the nausea is still troubling you. Enjoy the good days, and take it easy on the others. That was very thoughtful of your son - shame you weren't up to it, but I expect he was just glad to do somethong for you.

Hugs, and best wishes. Barton.x

Oh, London, poor you! I know that feeling (although not recently, luckily!) - the feeling as if you are walking on burning coals mixed with ground glass! Really nasty. Plenty of cream is the answer, as others have already said. I used to use Vaseline, with cotton socks on, but you have to keep your feet up as much as possible as you tend to slide around in your slippers otherwise! I now use Nivea Express Moisturiser instead as it soaks in nicely. However, while your feet are still so tender you will need to keep off them as much as possible. Then take it gently for a while. Hopefully it is a side effect that you won't get again.

Hugs. Barton.x

I take the mushrooms as capsules so no taste. Babsy xx  Racer, they say having a fighting spirit helps prolong life and you have buckets of it, so all the very best xx have you checked out the website www.canceractive.com? Might be worth a look . 

Hi everyone thank you for your kind words and support. Not posted on here as I seem to have a rough day when I am being sick and having to go to bed. Then have a couple of ok days.
It was my son's Birthday yesterday and was going t go out for tea but my son decided to have a take away in case I was unwell . I was unwell and could not eat the food. I felt guilty about it.
I am trying not to give in as I want to go to bed when I am unwell. I think it is the cape making me feel sick and need to keep on top of anti sickness meds.
I see the Oncologist on Thursday I just hope he does not take me off the Cape because I feel it is doing something even if it just slows things down. They had said it would not change things with my liver but I feel hopeful with the things people have said on this thread. Definitely having a positive mind and setting myself targets such as my Daughter's Prom in June.
II will try and post when I can to let you all know how I am going on .
Hope everyone is ok and thank you to listening to me. This keeps me going.
Big hugs xxxxx