74.3K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xeloda / Capecitabine - Your Top Tips, please?

Elily

Re: Xeloda / Capecitabine - Your Top Tips, please?

New poster here! I am about to start 3rd cycle of Capecitabine. On the 3rd day of the 1st cycle I suddenly realised that I felt better than I have felt since initial diagnosis of breast cancer last June (secondaries in bones and liver were immediately discovered from scans). I'm keeping feet and hands well moisturised and my only SEs at present are the nasty taste in the mouth and rough tongue. Any recommendations for these? Otherwise, I feel almost "normal" ( whatever that may be!) and am getting back to full time work.
Jo_BCC

Hi Ladies,

After reading that some of you have now been diagnosed with secondaries, I wondered if any of you had tried our Secondary Live Chat service which runs each Tuesday evening between 8.30pm and 9.30pm, the session is hosted by a nurse and facilitated by a moderator.  The forum users that come on to secondary live chat are a wonderful support to one another, having the knowledge and understanding of what having a secondary diagnosis entails.  If there's anything you need to ask about treatments etc then the nurse is at hand to help here.  I've put you the link below to have a look at.  It would be good to see you there, it's just one of the services BCC provide to help support you through this.

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/community/chat

Take care

Jo Moderator

2catlady

Hi,Madge,thank you also. Like you I don't know how I would cope without the wonderful ladies on here. Sometimes I feel very alone and scared but being able to post on here has helped me cope.
Huge hugs to you ,Helen xxxxxx
madge1

Hi all and Helen, I just wanted to let you know how I am getting on!!! I also had double whammy of BC, bone secondaries and ? Indeterminant Liver lesion in Dec '13, was put on Letrozole which I had for 8 wks, but my symptoms worsen, and I was offered a one off radiotherapy treatment to my ribs which has helped with pain, and was offered Capecitabine by my oncologist. In the meantime I had a 2nd opinion at The Marsden, where by the consultant there said the same but also said I could have IV chemo which would shrink the tumours quicker but the outcome is the same, so I opted for oral chemo as less side effects and have kept IV chemo for later!! I have had my first cycle, with few common side effects and I am back seeing my oncologist on Monday. I am hoping when I go for my next scan that this is working!!! I want to Thank everyone who posts on the forums as reading their experiences and journeys has helped me immensely. Big hugs to all xxxx
Julie
2catlady

Thank you Pam ,that's very informative.
Huge hugs to you,Helen xxxx
pam01

Hi all...I wanted to respond  to the question about oral or IV chemo next......Just to tell you my situation first! I was diagnosed with primary BC when I was 45 in 2005. After lumpectomy, chemo(no taxol at that time cos I didnt have node involvement)and radiotherapy....which knocked me into menopause....I went onto anastrozole with regular bloods to continue to check my menopause status. I developed secondary BC in feb 2011 and switched hormonal treatment to exsemestane. I was never absolutely convinced it was working but my markers were stable as were the first couple of scans and then there was some slow progression and my onc decided it was time to change treatments. According to NICE this would have been to an IV chemotherapy......capecitabine is listed as a second line chemotherapy in secondary BC........but there is a balance between risk and benefits...as well as level of fitness etc....I think some oncs come down on the side of IV treatment whilst well enough to have it.....others think oral treatment with less side effects whilst well enough to do more is best. On top of that is the patient view.....and different people respond differently to different drugs.......A complicated mix!! But if you feel strongly enough about one or the other then make your feelings known.....certainly a number of ladies have had benefit from capecitabine...often for quite long periods of time.(including me!)

2catlady

Thank you Sheila,yes he a bit of an arse. The BCN is no better she never rings when she's says she will and says she will be with me when I see him and she isn't . I was left two months with nobody to see how I was doing when I got my double whammy diagnosis. I think it just shows lack of support for MBC patients .
Take care too,Sheila ,huge hugs to you,Helen xxxxxxx
Porkie

Hi Helen, I had double whammy disgnosis nearly 3 years ago of primary and widescale bone mets. I was lucky letrozole kept me stable for over 2 years then before chemo I was put on EE combination but this did not work very well so I have just in the last month started chemo. My oncologist recommended IV (which was my worst nightmare - I hate hospitals / needles etc). But he wanted to try and hit it hard whilst I was still relatively strong and keep the tablets for a later date were his words. Having said that it was my finaly decision but I trust my oncologist and have gone the IV route having had a port fitted in my arm to get over my phobia with needles as much as I can. I am finding it difficult but if it works and gives me a period of time back on a hormonial / hercepin then I am sure it will be worth it. I do hope that letrozole works for you but if you do have to go onto chemo I am sure the ultimate choice is yours. With love xx

roxy12

Hi Helen, just seen your post about your onc. He doesn't seem very caring at all. Have you ever thought of changing to another one? Mine explains everything to me and spends time with me if I need it. I think you need someone you can have faith in. Take care, love Sheila. Xx

2catlady

Hi,desi,no,I've never had any chemo. I'm really scared about getting it! I was diagnosed with primary and bone mets together in June last year. I had tamoxifen first but it didn't work and now I'm on letrozole & zolodex injections and waiting to see if it's working,but tumour markers still going up. Had bloods today so I'll get results when I go for my zometa on Monday ,praying they have come down. I thought we would get pill chemo first before the other ones,yikes! I'll ask onc next time I see him. He said he may try something I think maybe E/E before chemo ,but I'm not sure. As he tends to mumble something then gets up and leaves us sitting as he goes to see next person! I would rather have the tablet form too first if I have to have chemo ,I do think we should have a choice! (I'm 48)
Fingers crossed that we both get time on letrozole before chemo,huge hugs,Helen xxx
Desi-2

Hi Helen could I ask whether you have had IV chemo before? If I remember correctly you are currently on letrozole and we are of similar age I'm 49 but when my onc said my next treatment if letrozole fails would be chemo I asked about the Capecitabine pills and he said no it would be IV as I'm otherwise young and fit. I think I would rather have tablet form but doesn't look like il get a choice 😕 hopefully neither of us will need it for a while yet. Xx
2catlady

Fantastic news,smartie & Pam . So pleased for you . It's great to see it working as I think this may be my next treatment.
Long,long,long,may it continue working for you both,hugs to you both,Helen xxx
pam01

And I can add to the good news. I have been on capecitabine for 2 years and 4 weeks. A repeat MRI scan on my back last week shows no progression since Feb 2012.....long may it continue! Pamx

Smartie

Hi All, just thought I would share my good news, I had the results of my scan yesterday after 4 cycles of Capecitabine and the lymphs in my chest have all remained stable, some even shrinking a little 27mm down to 25mm - not a huge amount but still a step in the right direction! The tumours in my abdomen have also stayed pretty much the same and some are apparently showing signs of necrosis in their centres.
So I am delighted that the Capecitabine is working for now and will continue on with it with a follow up scan in 3 months.
It's a much better result than I could have hoped for and even my oncologist was surprised by the shrinkage - he had thought stability was the most we would have gained, glad to say they are not always right!
So glad I have joined the Xeloda ladies!
Smartie x

nicky08
Community Champion

Bumping up.

Smartie

Hi Nicky, thanks for that. When I was on IV chemo last year my counts really took a battering but I had the Peg injections to boost them. Am seeing my oncologist in 3 weeks (after my scan 7th March) so will discuss things then and maybe look at a dose reduction if it's working. (Fingers crossed!) in the meantime will avoid the general pop as much as possible and get the hand gels out!
Smartie x

nicky08
Community Champion

Hi Macie

I didn't see your post before so I thought I'd give a quick reply.  There is a lot of info on this thread about the different side effects so it's worth a read.  The main one does seem to be the peeling feet and hands although this is different for everyone.  I'm only just, after 12 months, getting a few cracks on my heels but try to use a urea rich (25%) foot cream.  I also need hand cream but I get dry hands anyway in the winter.  Some of us seem to suffer more with this side effect than others.  I have noticed my hair thinning though.  At first I did notice more coming out than usual then I suppose I got used to it.  However, just after Christmas it was coming out so much I posted a question on here.  It does seem to have calmed down a bit now but I have changed to a treatment shampoo/conditioner called Nioxin which helps with thinning hair.

Hope you are getting on OK with Capecitabine and do come back to ask any more questions you may have.

Nicky x

nicky08
Community Champion

Hi Smartie

When I was on IV chemo 6 years ago my wbc and neuts were really badly hit, almost every cycle, and I had to have the injections to boost them.  After 12 months on Capecitabine I still haven't had a 'low' month with these counts so it hasn't been a problem. It could be that a dose reduction may be needed, a lot of us seem to have this if any side effects happen.  The oncs like to keep you on it as long as possible so will get the dose right to make this happen.  Since my 1st cycle I have been on 80% dosage which is still working well.  I would be a bit careful though if you know your neuts are down at the moment, I've just been hit by a sickness bug for the second time in six months and I'm sure this will be because my immune system is compromised at the moment.  I also have had, for various reasons, a few breaks inbetween cycles and I'm sure this does help get the blood counts back up again.  Good luck though with the Cape, hope it works wonders Smiley Happy

Nicky x

Smartie

Hi to all Capecitabine ladies, just a quick query over blood counts. I am in my 4th cycle of Capecitabine and also on Denosumab as a result I get blood tests every 3 weeks and 4 weeks before each treatment. Just had results of bloods which have fallen at the end of the first week of Cape in the cycle and my white count is just 2.2 and my neuts 1.1.
I was aware that any chemo treatment will affect blood counts but didn't think it would be affected that much am now a bit nervous about crowded places/infection etc. has anyone else suffered low blood counts on Cape or is it just me? And if so did you get a reduced dose or a break from the chemo to let them recover?
Thanks, Smartie x

Macie40

Hello ladies I have come along to ask for some advice I am due to start Capecitabine after results of bone scan are in.I had taxol and epirubicin which was quite tough 18 months ago so I am hoping cap will be a lot kinder to me I am 73 and have TNBC but know there are no other options other than chemo.I would like to ask what side effects are most common ,do you have regular blood tests and is there hair loss on cap, I know a number of you ladies have been on it for a number of years in some cases so I am hoping you can share some of your experiences with me .I have just started Ibandronate acid and so far so good I look forward to hearing from anybody that can help or advise me love Macie x x x

pam01

I have been on capecitabine for very nearly 2 years. I use flexitol heel balm (you can get it over the counter but it can also been prescribed) It is a high urea containing cream. I mainly use it overnight with clingfilm or with cotton socks. During the day I use udderley cream. I also use the body shop hand and nail cream which I find very good for my hands. I still run into problems however and for the last six months or so i have been taking 2000mgs bd for 4 cycles and then having a cycle off to let my hands and feet recover.....this time I have actually had 4 weeks off but plan to restart on weds.....so far it has continued to work.....best wishes Pamx

Clove4rock

Thanks for that Lucinda, have used the underlying smooth which helped initially , will try the eucerin cream from boots , have also heard that cream with urea in it is helpful so worth a try.
lucinda

Lots of ladies on cape use Udderly cream ( you can get it from Amazon) and have good results, I have not really had any problems but have been puting cream on my feet since starting cape and am now on cycle 9. I have been using eucerin cream (they sell it in boots), I was adviced to use something with erea in it. I put a liberal layer of cream on the bottom of my feet and then put on cotton socks, helps with the absorption and also stops coating the bedding with cream. Another lady posted she ehad used boots own E45 and found it helped.

Clove4rock

Hi everyone, hope you are all coping well with treatment, I am on day 7 of cycle 4 and up to now have coped with side effects , today my feet and hands are really red/ hot and look a bit swollen using ice packs and lots of emulsifying ointment / diprobase which chemo ward gave me, have stopped diprobase as think its alcohol content was making skin worse, today skin on feet is really red tight , desperate to avoid them having any reason to reduce dose as due scan next week to see if working, any tips or creams anyone can recommend would be really appreciated,
swanie

Hi Joanne

Sorry to hear that things are not looking their best for you.  The steroids will help reduce the swelling.  hope the onc comes up with some answers for you.  I am sure she will not mind me mentioning her - Nanniespikey has recently gone through treatment for brain mets, she is doing well - it may be worth looking at some of her posts etc. once you are clear about what is going on.

Hugs Jacqui

joanne130

Thanks for the replies. Onc has put me back on steroids (think he is thinking it's the cancer!) see him in two weeks so should know more then.

swanie

Hi Joanne

As Nicky said - get in touch with your BCN or onc.  I am on 1800mg twice daily and visual problems are not one of the SEs I am experiencing and looking at the blurb this is not a noted SE.  At the risk of being a total downer and worrying you unecessarily this could potentially  be brain symptoms.  Hope it is the the Capecitabine - however if it is anything else the sooner picked up and dealt with the better.

Do let us know how things go

Jacquixx

nicky08
Community Champion

Hi Joanne
Maybe you should talk to your BCN if this continues? I'm on 1450 twice a day and although my close vision isn't as good as it was I haven't noticed anything like double vision since being on Xeloda.
Sorry I can't be of any further help.
Nicky x

joanne130

Hi

I started on capecitabane in December with 2000mg a day (2 tablets on a morning and 2 on a night) everything has been fine until Friday.  My dosage was increased on Wedndesday to 3000mg a day,  since Friday I seem to have developed double vision.  I'm not sure if this is the capecitabine or if things are progressing again (diagnosed with spread to menegies in October). Any advice woud be appreciated. Joanne

Desi-2

Thank you Jacqui.
swanie

Hi there desi-2 as far as I understand hormone therapy is stopped once you start chemo.  I was offered either Capecitabine or IV chemo and opted immediately or the Cape as I knew I would need a line for IV.  However I did as the onc which woud work the best he said he couldn't be sure so maybe best to go for the easiest option first.  I is definitely worth having a proper discussion about your options.

hoping you get the right treatment and it all goes well - Jacqui

Desi-2

Hi could I ask if all of you ladies are also on hormone therapy with this chemo pill ? The long term success you seem to be getting is very encouraging but although I am on letrozole at the moment the once doesn't seem to hold out much hope of it being effective as my oestrogen level is so low and I have ben told to prepare myself for the fact that chemo will have to be considered at some point he says it would be IV but guessing if I couldn't cope with that these may be another option.
Chris007

Hi I am on cycle 3 and have really noticed hair coming out. otherwise very little side effects. Hopefully this will stop as time goes on. I also have trouble sleeping although desperately tired - any advice? Hands and feet ok but getting through cream like you wouldn't believe. Wishing you all a good dry weekend. Chris x

beanbob

Hi girls, I am joining you on this chemo. Day 4, cycle 1 of 8. TMs were gradually rising and Dec scans showed some some progression (onc said 'subtle' which I liked). Tamoxifen had stopped working. Onc says I will go back to hormones after being zapped. Learnt lots about it from this thread, so thanks to all x.
nicky08
Community Champion

Hi

Good luck to everyone either already on this chemo or about to start it.  I've been on it since Feb last year and have had very little side effects other than sore hands (which have only just started) and a very dry area on one of my feet.  I do use a high urea content cream on my feet and also the healing plasters you can buy do seem to help. Top tip, go to somewhere like Wilko to get them cheaper than the main chemists who charge a fortune!

One quick question: has anyone had a lot of hair loss on Xeloda?  I noticed I was losing some pretty much as soon as I started Xeloda however it has become more noticeable recently.  I know it is listed as a SE but had hoped to keep my barnet this time around Smiley Happy At this rate I'll be bald in no time Smiley Sad

Nicky x

Margaret222

Hi Lucinda and everyone. I was diagnosed with mets to liver and spine in November. Am half way thru my first Zometa cycle and on my second day 0f Capecitabine(Xeloda) i went 12 years before re recurrence which I am grateful for. Had just become confident of a cure!
In December, was meant to go back on Letrozole, but tumour markers rose over 2 weeks so was put on Xeloda. So glad to hear your experience Lucinda as was dreading really red sore hands and feet in particular. I too have pain in my hip, just behind my right pelvic girdle,It began during Zometa cycle, so it may be referred pain from the target area of lower spine. Not keen to introduce too many alternative treatments for the moment...had started probiotics, but have been warned of the dangers by the hospital pharmacists, so may take one every two days, but not if I lose my white cells. Good.luck to all of us.xx
lucinda

I have been on capedcitabine since August and apart from odd bouts of nausea I have not really had any se's.Sbrillyjack I did have the aches you are describing when I was on letrozole and my onc told me to take glucoscamine daily. Takes a while to kick in but it did help. I have just started taking it again as I am suffering with arthritis pain in my hands,hip, knee and in fact anything that has a joint! Hope things get better for you, i am due a scan next cycle to see how things are going, tumour markers have been falling steadily so very hopeful. xx

doodlecat

Kath, I am in Scotland and I am just completing my eigth cycle. Never been told it was limited. xx
Clove4rock

Thanks Carol, delighted it is been given long term in Scotland, this has given me real hope if it works as mine has spread to lungs, glands in chest and liver so for me I want to continue on it if next scan showing any improvement.

Clove4rock

Thank you Jane , that is great to hear.
Kath

FMJT60

Kath,

I'm in scotland and being treated from the Beatson, I'm on taxatore but my onc has told me that if we use Cap in the future then I could stay on it for as long as it was working, I'd ask your registrar to explain Jane x
Carol_13

Hi Clove4rock,

I came across your post and was surprised that you have been told there is a cap on the number of cycles you can have. I'm getting treatment in Glasgow and am also on my second cycle of Capercitabine. My oncologist has told me that I can stay on it for as long as it works. In my case was diagnosed with breast cancer in Jan 13 and had FEC/Docetaxel for six sessions followed by right breast mastectomy and node clearance and radiotherapy. Unfortunately none of that worked and I now have skin mets, left breast, nodes and clavicle, right nodes clavicle, breast bone and right lung. So that's why we are trying capercitabine. To be honest the growth of tumours in my skin has continued but I was warned it takes time before any real response can be seen so I'm still hopeful.

Sorry went on a bit there, anyway like I said I've been told if it works they will keep going with it so I would double check with your oncologist on that.
Clove4rock

Thank you Belinda, 4 years plus is amazing and has given me so much hope, second cycle just now and I have hardly any pain which leads me to believe it might just be doing some good, have 2 more before scan to see if it is working so keeping everything crossed and if working I will definitely fight to continue even if I have to find the money to fund it myself, like you said ' I am worth it '
Thank you again. X
belinda

Hi Clove4rock, I'm not in Scotland but wishing you all the best in your fight for Capecitabine for as long as it works for you. I really hope you win. I had nearly 4 and a half years of Capecitabine which has helped me live ten years with secondaries. I had tablets for 14 days and then one week off. My bloods were fine throughout. I am worth the cost of my chemo and, more importantly, so are you. x

Clove4rock

Hi, I am on cycle 2 of capecitabine , I had a lot of pain during cycle one , my shoulders, back, limbs, chest ached constantly and was at the stage where I was about to ask for morphine for breakthrough pain as usual pain relief was ineffective, stuck it out for the 2 weeks and by the end of my week off had returned to normal,now on day 5 of cycle 2 and have very little pain so I presume my body was adjusting to this new therapy or perhaps I had some virus , as I like to believe the capecitabine was attacking the tumours causing the pain the nurses agreed with me! but I hope this relatively pain free stage continues.
I am also heartened to hear of so many on this site who have been on this for long periods and wondered if anyone lives in Scotland as I think the options for continuing past 6 cycles are different hear, the registrar I asked last week was adamant that 6 cycles was all I would get, this I want to challenge if my next scan shows improvement and the side effects are not too bad why should I not be allowed to continue on it, anyone have any experience of being in same dilemma, I presume it is a funding issue or deviating from some protocol. I want to have some ammunition for my next app with consultant.
Thanks,and you all take care and keep up the good work.
Kath
Lucy_BCC

Hi Sbrillyjack
Welcome to the BCC forums, in addition to the support and shared experiences you have here please feel free to call our helpliners for further practical and emotional support on 0808 800 6000, lines open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2

You may also be interested in our other support services such as 'live chat' and 'one to one support', you can read more here:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services

Take care
Lucy BCC

nicky08
Community Champion

Hi Sbrillyjack
I have been on Capecitabine since Feb this year and haven't had any of the aches that you are describing. I wonder if its to do with the Avastin combo? Sorry I can't help but just wanted to reply and hopefully someone else may have had similar who can help out.
Nicky

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello everyone. I have a question re: Capecitabine. I've been on this along with Avastin for only 2 cycles and am experiencing the most terrible muscle/bone ache in every single part of my body, even my ankles. It's so bad that I can barely walk or stand up straight for a minute or two when greeting up after sitting down and getting out of bed in the morning is even harder. My oncologist suggested nurofen but that's not really helping. Has anyone else experienced these side effects and of so will they lessen as I start to get used to them?? Thanks to anyone who may be able to answer x
belinda

Hi Chris, I have reliable TM's and was on Capecitabine for four and a half years but I think it took 3 cycles before my markers started to decline. I would be quite surprised if you would see any difference just yet. My experience was Capecitabine being chemo in tablet form it's slower to show results than an IV chemo.

mrsblue

My tumour markers went steadily downwards over the 2 years I was on capecitabine (I asked to stop almost a year ago because of side effects), reaching a level that was very encouraging for me.  I have liver and bone mets.  I've been on different treatments in 2013 but I hope to go back on cape some day - oncs are not keen at the moment.