64839members
341651posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xeloda / Capecitabine - Your Top Tips, please?

Highlighted

Re: Xeloda / Capecitabine - Your Top Tips, please?

Helen, can't answer that I'm afraid, but could you ring your Chemo out of hours help-line number and ask them? Reflux is horrible, I know. In fact, it is something I was going to ask my GP about at my next appointment. Not until Mon.5th, though. Hugs, Barton.x

Highlighted

Hi,cap gang,just a quick question. Can you take any antacid meds while on cap like gaviscon etc as I've got terrible reflux acid which I've never had before I started cap?
Hugs,Helen xxxxx
Highlighted

Hello everyone, Helen, so sorry to hear your feet are so bad. It's a real pain, isn't it, as you can't keep off them all the time, although that's what they need! And Mowser - I'm amazed that your feet are so poorly after all this time! You really were in a bad way! I hope you both recovef soon. My 6 week rest from Cap is going well - I have finally got most of my taste back, although sadly chocolate still tastes a bit weird.  Wishing all the Cap gang a happy new year with lots of good news and results for everyone! Barton.x

Highlighted

Hi,Mowser,omg! You have been through the mill on the feet front. Poor you,that's awful. So sorry cap stopped working for you.I'm praying it works for me as I don't have any treatments apart from chemos left.
I'm moisturising all the time,keeping Boots the chemist profits up I reckon lol on the amount of creams I'm using.
Wishing you good results with next treatment xxxx huge hugs, Helen xxxxxx
Highlighted

HI Helen,

Totally sympathise with you on the feet front! Last cycle, not only did they tell me the disappointing news that Cape had stopped being effective for me after 9 months, my feet were so bad I couldnt walk-we had to hire a wheelchair to get me to the hospital and back! Two weeks on from having been taken off Cape, the feet are still only very slowly getting back to normal. Nails have lifted off the big toes, still have blisters healing on the sides of big toes, the feet are all cracked and peeling underneath, and feet still get hot if I have been walking on them a lot-I am worried I may have done some permanent damage!! 

Sorry to have some off Cape as it seemed to be working really well for me initially. I am hoping and praying the new treatment works....

Take care of those feet-rest as much as you can and moisturise moisturise moisturise!! Frozen peas are great-went through quite a few bags!!!

Mowser xxx

Highlighted

Hello cap gang,how are we all doing with the peachy devils. My side effects were dreadful on week off! Felt awful ,feet on fire,had to keep putting cold face clothes on them to cool them down as so painful.If I could put a bag of frozen peas in bed I would!!
Hope everyone is doing okay,huge hugs,Helen xxxx
Highlighted

Hello Jo, I did have a CT scan on 14th November after cycle 6 and finally got the official results on 2nd Dec. They said there had been no progression, which is good but a little disappointing when I had a result of "significant reduction" after my first CT scan after starting Cap in July (scan on 9th Sept after cycle 3), but I'm grateful for any good news. Good luck and best wishes to all Cappers. Barton.x

Highlighted

Hi Barton
I'm on cap as well. Am on seventh cycle. Don't have breathlessness but have tiredness. I didn't realise that you could have that. Length of a break. Have you had a scan recently and your tumours have shrunk? It's interesting the different treatment paths that are taken. Hoping you're feeling better soon.
Bazcas. - I don't have many problems apart from insomnia and tiredness. There a many varying s/e for cap and some ladies gave it worse than others
Many hugs jo xx
Highlighted

Hello, Bazcas, yes, I have quite severe breathlessness and tiredness. So much so, in fact, that after 7 cycles my Onc has given me 6 wks off until 22.1 15. In fact, with the week off before I saw him, it will be 7 weeks. Two weeks in, I am still very tired. When I went in town with my sister on Monday, I was totally wiped out by the time I got home and we were only out for less than 3 hrs. We didn't rush around either -I can't! Don't be worried, though, by my experience as I am currently on Fragmin injections (blood thinners) for a DVT I had in October - the two combined may very well be causing my problems.
I do hope you resolve your breathlessness and tiredness soon. Speak to your Onc about it next time you see him or her - don't try to be brave.
All best wishes to all Cappers. Barton.x

Highlighted

Hi I have been on Capecitabine for 3 months now will have to wait a while for scans to see if it is working. So far apart from feeling really tired I have been fine except for getting really breathless, does anyone else have this problem.

Hugs to all

Bazcas

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi mowser
If you have lots of unanswered questions can you email his secretary? I have done in the past, well, mine of course, not yours ;-) This can help to put your mind at rest, or at least clarify things before you have to wait for your next appointment. Usually the chemo ward, or main hospital switchboard will give you the secretary's name and/or email address and in my experience they are pretty good at forwarding your concerns to the oncologist. Btw I was told from the start about my receptor status I didn't have to ask, but only from here have I learnt to ask how strongly hormone positive I am and also to know that receptor status can change. You should be able to ask as much as you want to know about your type of BC/SBC.
Take care
Nicky x

Highlighted

Moser,so sorry cap has stopped working for you. You will be ER+ if you are on Letrozol. It's just finding the right treatment that works for you.
Huge hugs,Helen xxx
Highlighted

Mowser

I've got bone mets and  was on Letrozole  after chemo last year. SEs were aching limbs and tiredness. I was on it for only about 3 months then my Oncologist put me onto Capecitabine. Two days later I was able to run up the stairs at home - previously I was pulling myself up using the bannister.

It works for some, but not others, I suppose.  I was  on Tamoxifen during the summer holidays and that didn't seem to do much for me either, so I'm back on Capecitabine.

I think I have seen long threads on here about the different manufacturers of Letrozole and which seem to be better.

I hope it works for you.Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Thanks Nicky.

I feel vulnerable at the moment-onc is quite matter of fact and I had so many questions once I got out of the room I wanted to ask him, but I feel he just gets a little exasperated with my questions!!

I am so scared that this thing will take off and no other treatment will work... do you know I don't even know what type my tumour is! Did you ask or did they tell you??  I suppose the fact that I am being put on a hormone drug means it must be oestrogen receptive, but I dont know how strongly-if I hadn't pushed for these scans before Xmas as I wasnt feeling well, the tumour markers (which he had been using as his guideline for how well the treatment was working in previous months) would have given him a false picture and it would have been business as usuall! More Cape and he may even have felt confident enough to let me have an extra week off to rest feet! Meanwhile the little s--ts would have been having  party of their own.

I guess I had taken his comments about being on it for two to three years as I was responding so well, that I think even he was surprised it had started up again-he called it perplexing. Well if he is perplexed, I dont know what I am! Can this drug work as well as Zeloda does? I suppose I think because this wasnt his drug of first choiuce maybe it is a law of diminishing returns??

Sorry for the rant but I have so many questions, and they are just buzzing round my head!!

Thanks though for answering and for just being there...

Mowser xxx 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi mowser, so sorry to hear you have been having such a rough time and that Cape is no longer working for you.
Letrozole is the generic name for Femara so they are the same drug in essence but as the others have said the branded ie licensed product often gives less side effects than the non branded. I had the same thing when I was on Arimidex/anastrozole and couldn't believe the difference in extra side effects. It was only reading about it on this forum and putting two and two together that I realised how it was affecting me. So it is worth asking for, even though your GP will probably try to put you on the unbranded one as they are a lot cheaper.
Femara and any other of the aromatase inhibitors (AIs) work on hormone positive BC and can be very effective. I had nearly 5 years of stability on Arimidex until my BC changed receptor status and I went from being HER- to HER+ in which case the hormones didn't (and don't) keep the BC stable any longer. I found this out by a CT scan showing my mets had gone from just being in my bones to also spreading to my liver. Again, from this forum, I knew the HER2 status can change so I requested a liver biopsy and it did reveal that I was now HER+. If you are feeling up to having this procedure done (it's not pleasant) you could request a biopsy to see if your BC is still the same status? As the others have said, some ladies have changed to being triple negative whereas I'm now triple positive.
Hoping you get your tree decorated and the infection clears up in time for you to enjoy the plans you had made as well as Christmas itself.
Nicky x

Highlighted

So you got this drug before you had mets? I have numerous in my liver and bones... I suppose it can be used before and after diagnosis of sbc?

Highlighted

Sorry Femara question was for Desi!!

Highlighted

Thanks Kaye,

What do you mean by Femara?  Is that the same drug? I was told by onc to ask doc to prescribe Letrazole as health insurance wont cover it?

Highlighted

Hi Mowser so sorry to hear that you have had progression on Cape.I was on letrozole for three years before I had mets to liver ,bones and chest nodes so it worked for a while.good luck with the letrozole hope it works for you stay positve.
Sending huge hugs your way
Kaye xx
Highlighted

Hi mower myself and Helen have both been on Letrozol it didn't work for us as we mutated to triple negative but I do know ladies that have been on this drug for many years in some cases. It brings with it jiont pain but this varies from one person to another. Ask for your prescription to be Femara gps don't automatically give you this make as it is very much more expensive but I found as well as other ladies that it didn't give the same level of discomfort to my joints the difference for me was quite considerable. Good luck with it and I hope you also get many years out of it. XXXX
Highlighted

Hi everyone,

Well have seen the onc who was sorry to tell me that after only 9 months, Cape has stopped working. Smiley Sad

They said I had new liver mets and some of those already there are getting bigger (I didnt want to ask by how much-too shellshocked and worried it would make me feel worse).  My feet are recovering and I have asked for an extension to my antibiotics for the urine Infetcion as it hasnt cleared yet-still getting pain in abdomen.  

I have been taken off Cape immediately and started on a hormone drug called Letrozole. Hormone blocker.  I am a bit disappointed as the onc said towards the start of Cape, that after he saw me responding so well to the drug, he predicted I could be on it for at least two to three years. I guess I wonder whether even he has been surprised by how quickly it has become resistant.

Has anyone had experience of this drug (either before, or after Cape) and can give me some inspiring stories?  Honestly not sure how to feel. I dont remmeber hearing much about this driug in all the posts i have read on the various threads..

Hope you are all having a lovely Wednesday and looking forward to the festive season. I need to get my act together and start getting Christmas ready!! At least I picked up a tree last night from the garden centre-I usually go for the non needle drop ones, but this year gone for the cheaper Spruce, as I LOVE the fragrance they give off. You close your eyes and think of Christmas!!

Take care all, love and hugs

A vulnerable Mowser xxxx

Highlighted

Mowser ,I think you need more that 3 days antibiotics!! Hope fully onc will give you some. Please ask him. I had to get 10 days antibiotics for toe infection as 7 days weren't enough .
Hope everything goes okay for you today.huge hugs,Helen xxxxxx
Highlighted

Thanks all, just hobbling around getting ready to go. The frozen peas worked a treat, melkted two bags in a matter of minutes, me feet were so hot!  Will let you know how it goes. My urine infection still not better, pain came back last night with a vengeance and I only have tablets for today-it was only a three day course!! Not enough I dont think as I am always immuno suppressed!!

Thanks for all your well wishes. I will pick up some Christmas magic dust while I am out to sprinkle on our tree for all of us!! (Not talking drugs here, you understand!!)

I look very fetching in my fur lined maroon crocs, mens socks, black leggings and an old long cream jumper to hide my generous, wobbly behind. (No proper exercise since March!!!) No make up, or jewellery. Au Naturelle as you would say. Going to scare the hospital staff!! 

Love and hugs and will report back soon.... (((  )))

Mowser xxxxx

Highlighted

Ah Mowser, nearly 3 years after Cap was stopped and the only shoes I still wear are Crocs, all year round. The Cap did work well on the bc though as it is for you too I hope. I remember seeing in the New Year once with everyone with hats, gloves and me in bare feet on some cold flagstones, just what was needed at the time. Let us know what Onc thinks, take care. X
Highlighted

Good morning cap gang.
How are you doing Mowser xxxx I get the shooting pain down leg like a sciatica pain. I think I read it's a side effect of denusumab or it may be the cap. I forget now as every thing causes SEs! It would be lovely to read side effects: you will get good nights sleep,you will feel on cloud 9 lol thinking of you and those poor feet. Each cycle can be different and breaks do help. Huge hugs xxxxx
How is everyone else doing?
Huge hugs,Helen xxxxxx
Highlighted

Hello Mowser. No, I'm not Welsh - I'm a Devonshire lass through and through! Born in Devon and lived here all my life. Visited Wales several times though - beautiful scenery.
Sorry to hear you are still suffering dreadfully with your feet. That sounds like a severe reaction. Can only offer cyber hugs and more advice to stay off them as much as poss. By the way, you do have a tea towel or something between you and the frozen peas I hope!? Don't want you getting frost bite on top of everything else! Hugs, Barton.x

Highlighted

I think the effects on my feet can vary a bit cycle to cycle...but a break cetainly reduces it...Im on second cycle after a 2 week break,,,no probs at all with feet on last cycle but feeling a bit of tingling today (day 6)..will be at its worst day 12-14 and first day or 2 of stopping and then largely settled beore starting next cycle.......last few cycles i have had an extra week off every second cycle and then extra 2 weeks off after 6 cycles,....but we'll see how it goes!

Highlighted

Hi Barton,

Thanks for your reply-have been in bed all day with my feet moisturised, and then on top of a bag of frozen peas... They still hurt like buggary.  Smiley Sad

Hope you have had a good day yourself, are you Welsh? Its either you or Bevlaar!!

Speak soon

Mowser xxx

Highlighted

Thanks Helen,

I feel those hugs!! You are one warm caring lady...

Mowser xx

Highlighted

Pam,

Thankyou so much for your thoughts and advice-I have had periods where it got a little tricky and soles of feet got really red and sore, and nails infected, but nothing like this. My feet are throbbing in unison and I can't bear to even touch them.

I am reassured that it will settle as it did for you, as I really don't want to be taken off a drug that is currently working for me.

Can I ask, when your feet got better after an episode, did your feet 'turn' more quickly on the next course or were they as resilient as before? I know the walking on them is not a good thing when they start to play up, but you will know its difficult to stay off your feet when you are trying to have a life!!! 

Also I have noticed pain in my right leg recently -like a shooting pain moving down from hip through thigh and into calf -almost a nerve type pain. Have you ever had that?

We will know where we are when I see the oncologist tomorrow.

Will keep you posted,

Mowser xxxx 

Highlighted

Hi Mowser....yes I have had times where i can bearly walk...although never off my feet altogether......it does get better and fades and disappears as gradually as it comes...no doubt you will have a bigger break to give it a chamce to settle......my suggestions for what their worth....stay off them (as you are !) as much as you are able...try to limit your walking as they are starting to get sore . use a high urea containing cream (such as flexitol with or without  vaseline and socks on top. I find sketchers -air trainers (with memory foam linings) good and also periodically use MBT type shoes which takes more of the weight through the middle of your foot and gives soles and heels a bit of a break. Keep nails well trimmed (straight accross) to try and reduce nail infections (which at times have almost taken me off my feet). lets hope they settle down very quickly.xx

Highlighted

Oh Mowser,what a horrific time you are having! Poor you xxxx
Can onc not reduce your cap for you to a smaller dose especially if it's working. I'm on 2300 (4600 in total every day) my onc said if bloods are still not recovering he can reduce my dose. It's worth asking if dose can be reduced.
Please don't feel embarrassed being in a wheelchair if you need to you use .
Huge gentle hugs ,Helen xxxxx
Highlighted

Oh Mowser, I'm so sorry - not just that you have to come off Cap, but that are experiencing so much pain and discomfort! It must be an awful disappointment for you to come off Cap as it's working for you! I'm sure they will find another one that will work for you without causing so much pain. I have had very painful feet on Cap, but nothing that stopped me walking completely.
You have a very caring sister, to go out and hire a wheelchair for you. I can understand how disappointing it must be, though, that you can't go out Christmas shopping with your daughter. I'm sure she will understand, though. Could your sister have a word with her?
And to top it all off, you now have a sore throat and cough! Keep yourself warm and off those feet as much as possible. All best wishes to you for a speedy recovery from everything you are suffering from. Barton.x

Highlighted

Jo, to answer your other question, my daughter is 22, but mentally much younger, as she has autism and learning difficulties. I am her primary carer so we in a bit of trouble in terms of getting things done for Xmas!

Her dad is invisible, hardly ever contacts or sees her, my 25 year old son works and lives on the other side of London. My two sisters both work full time, and one had a son with cerebral palsy, so not much support available in times like these...  

But we take the hands we are dealt with in life! We will get through this.

Lots of love Mowser xxx 

Highlighted

Thanks Jo, 

What I would say to you is even though you have not exeprienced these side effects, I think maybe there is a cumulative build up.

So do make sure you cream your feet and rest them, keep them from getting too hot, the first sign of problems developing, listen to them and pace yourself in terms of how much standing and walking you do.

I was like you, relatively trouble free until the round before last-I am now in the first week of my 12th cycle! They didnt recover properly in the week I had off and they have really taken off big time this round.

Think the dosage may be too much for my body to cope with-I have been two weeks on, one week off since March and a dose of 1800mg morning and night. My liver tumours needed to be hit hard as I had quite a few and some were large. 

I will see what he says tomorrow (onc), I am so embarrassed to be in a wheelchair just for my feet but I really cant put any weight on them.

Take care, I will let you know how it goes tomorrow,

Mowser xxx

Highlighted

Hi mowser

What a nightmare time you are having! Hoping that you get relief for your hands and feet soon. It sounds absolutely awful. I am on cape. Just about to start 7th cycle and have been extremely lucky with s/e's compared to what people like yourself have had to contend with. I have no hand and feet problems apart from ingrown toenails!
It's so hard regarding the kids! How old is your daughter?
I'm hoping you get to some if the things you have planned this week!
Much love
Jo xx

Highlighted

Hello, thanks so much for your well wishes!

Well after taking the antibiotics, for my UTI, my abdomen pain has eased, but now, my feet are so painful, I literally can't walk on them..Last night I had to crawl to the toilet on my hands and knees.

Today my feet are so painful, I cant put wieght on them. It feels like they are on fire and they are both throbbing in unison, and sore to the touch.

My sister has gone out and hired me a wheelchair just so I can get to my appointment-have called hospital-they have told me to come off Cape immediately otherwise, I could cause permanent damage to my feet and the nerve endings, and I will have to come off Cape altogether. I am really worried now as this drug does seem to be working for me-I am concerned I have damaged my feet forever. I have a croaky throat to and a cough developing. All ways round I feel so crap girls. Smiley Sad

My daughter was hoping we could go on and get our tree today, and do Xmas Shopping-she doesnt understand why i cant go out, and is feeling miserable, as she wants to do Xmas things with me.

I am stuck in bed, with a bucket as a loo, feeling so fed up. 

I am not prepared for xmas at all-apart from some on line shopping, and I had all sorts of xmassy things arranged to do this week, including dinner at friends. a work xmas party, and a panto. At this rate I dont know if I will be able to make any of them.

Have any of you suffered from your hands and feet as bad as it stopping you from walking and did you recover??

Mowser xxx

Highlighted

Thanks for that Belinda. The only chemo since secondary diagnosis has been Cape so I await a clinic appt to find out what next.

Moneck

Highlighted

Hi Mowser...hoping the antibiotics do the trick for you and you start to feel better soon. It must gave been awful pain but thankfully nothing cance related! xxx
Highlighted

Hello Mowser. So glad you have a (in the light of what we are all going through) "trivial" cause for your pain! I bet that was a tremendous relief! I hope the antibiotics work quickly for you as you deserve a good (pain free) Christmas. Best of luck with your results from Onc on Tuesday - an anxious wait, and we all feel for you. Love and hugs, Barton.

Highlighted

Hi,Mowser,so glad you now have an answer to your pain as we know how our minds run away xxxx hopefully you will be sorted with antibiotics and on the mend for Christmas.
I'm glad you are finding support on here. Everyone is always so helpful and friendly.
Huge hugs,Helen xxxxx
Highlighted

Hi lovely ladies, checking in after a really horrible weekend. Do you remember I was asking about groin pain and lower abdomen pain on a previous thread a week or so ago? Well, it just got worse and worse so much so that I had a total meltdown at home last evening-just had enough of it all-pain, exhaustion, nausea, constipation, and feet that I can barely walk on they are so hot and tender.

Ended up going to bed early, taking oromorph for the pain last night, (have not needed it much up to now) and today went to out of hours doctor. Transpires that I have a urinary tract infection-which weirdly I felt relieved about, as I was linking it to the other stuff that is going on. Hopefully, it is a completely unrelated.

Still feel terrible, but at least now I have antibiotics which I hope will knock it on the head quickly and reduce the pain! I see my oncologist Tuesday when I will get all of my results. Will be an anxious consult-you all understand about that!

To you lovely ladies, LD, Chocolates, Bevlaar , Bertie, Barton, Cat lady and all of you who have taken time to write back to my posts, and for all of you who are posting, thank you all so much for giving me strength and support. Its a difficult thing to explain to others just how important this forum is for us, willing each other happiness, and health, and a happy life with all that we are trying to contend with.

It gives me strength, and a lot of hope for the future and that is priceless. And I know I am not alone on this journey.

I wish you lots of love, and hope those of you feeling under the weather, feel a lot better soon!

Mowser xxxx

Highlighted

And there was me thinking it was your sign because of an unusual, exotic pet Margaret! :-)
Highlighted

Hi Margaret. ...you csn change your profile picture by clicking on:

My Profile /  Avatars. There are quite a few to choose from. Love bev xxxx

Highlighted

Am feeling intrigued by the icons allocated to us..e.g, the lovely lion which is to my left! Why am I a lion? Im happy with it, but how did it get there??
Anyway, I wish you all lots of good health, hugs and positive feelings.....

Highlighted

Oh moneck...really feel for you lovely lady. You rest up until you're 100%"recovered. Looking after no. 1 is what's important now. Big hug ((( ))) xxxx
Highlighted

Hi Moneck what an awful you have had lately ,rest up as much as you can and let everyone do the hard work,sending you huge hugs
Kaye xxx
Highlighted

Hello Moneck. What an absolutely awful time you have been having! Shame about the Cap, but I'm sure they will find something else that works for you. Rest up and have a good Christmas - let someone else do all the work! Drop in to the Christmas Eve party if you feel up to it. Cyber hugs. Barton.x

Highlighted

What a horrible time you've had Moneck, you doze and get your strength back. Since 2008 I have had some colorectal involvement, no symptoms as such, hope you start to feel stronger. I don't know if you have had it but Doxorubicin worked well for me. X
Highlighted

Oh,moneck,what an awful time you have had,huge hugs coming your way xxxxxx
You,rest up and take it easy.
Huge Christmassy hugs,Helen xxxxx