Chemotherapy isn't as bad as Hollywood portrays ?

So I just had my 2nd chemo, my hair has gone and I’ve had some pretty miserable, painful days. I do think it’s important that anyone who is newly diagnosed or hasn’t had their chemo yet, know that it really isn’t like the movies. The Haematology unit at Wishaw General hospital where chemotherapy is administered is WONDERFUL. The head nurse Lorna is just fabulous as are all the staff. It’s very cheery, calming and welcoming. Not at all like the images we are all scared of. Chemo isn’t great but it isn’t as bad as a lot of us were terrified of. Aches, pains, sleepless nights but it is so quickly forgotten when you feel OK. Please don’t worry about your chemo, it’s not that bad ??

Hi @CarolineSavva ,

Thanks for sharing your experience. We’re sorry to hear about the pain you’ve been in and also that you haven’t had a reply yet. Hopefully someone will come along soon to share their experience too.

We would just like to say that we are here for you and if you would like to talk about any concerns or worries you have about your treatment or anything else, our clinical experts are only at the end of the phone on our free helpline 0808 800 6000. It is open 9am-4pm weekdays and 9am-1pm Saturdays. You can also ask our nurses any questions on the Ask Our Nurses board.

Best wishes
Laura at Breast Cancer Care

Hello Caroline, 

Really sorry to hear that you and your mum were diagnosed within a short time of each other.  I wish you both the very best. 

I am not really sure how chemo is portrayed in the movies etc.  I have watched with criticism at times on the TV but then  I think it may be hard to get it right so to speak because in the end we are all different and we may respond differently.  We also have to bear in mind that they are a multitude of chemo drugs for different conditions.  Age,  pre existing conditions etc, Individual differences, stage of cancer can all take their toll and the effects of chemo can be strikenly different from person to person.  For example,  Some people manage to work through chemo,  others may end up hospitalised due to sepsis.  It’s effects can be very variable. 

I never once contemplated not going through chemo even though I  researched the potential  effect of each drug etc.   For myself,   the full. painful effects were not felt until the 5th session out of 6, and more so  after chemo had ended.  At the time when others were thinking I should be swinging from the chandeliers in celebration, I felt the full physical effects of taxotere, looked and felt my worst (even though the head hair was growing back)  and over two years later still have some residual effects.   My take on it was that,  for me,  chemo was a necessary evil to endure. 

I wish you well and I think it is great that you have such a positive attitude, and that you are using it.  I wish you well in your treatment and that you keep that positivity.  

Wishing the best for you and your mum, 

Chick ? x

Thank you for positive but realistic description 

Recently diagnosed with chemo coming before surgery, thank you for your post. Ok we’re all different, receiving different chemo cocktails but it was reassuring to read your post. Thank you.