Newly diagnosed September 2020

Hi All

I am Jo, just turned 50 a few weeks back and my first mammogram detected calcifications and the recall after biopsies found lump in my right breast 20mm, grade 3 and affected nodes.      Today I went to my next appointment after bloods, MRI and CT petrified and actually came out relieved because it has not spread any further.  There is also scatters of paint on the right one (left one clear) which having another biopsy next week for peace of mind but mainly to take the decision as they recommend a masectomy.  Also was told today am triple negative so chemo is first stage.  So it is not good news but could be worse I guess as worrying all week that it was worse.      Scared of next few months will be bring, I have two children 7 and 11.  Also have gentic test as runs in family.

Just thought I would welcome myself officially to this group as wasn’t sure until today.

Jo x

Hi Jo

Welcome to the forums. You have found yourself, I hope, in a warm, friendly and helpful place, definitely preferable to Google, which is not recommended. Steer clear at your emotional peril!

I’m pleased for you that there is no spread and, although a mastectomy sounds terrifying, the reality isn’t as bad as we imagine. It just requires a shift in thinking. I wish you luck with your chemo, which will start very soon, and hope you react well to it. Remember, there are no rules now - everyone is different and you may be almost as fine as usual or completely wiped out - or somewhere between the extremes. Whatever happens, it’s right for you. Consider joinIng your chemo starters group (for whatever month) on here. It will be a great support for you. 

One piece of advice for chemo - have two thermometers. They aren’t foolproof and you’ll need to be sure your readings are accurate (voice of experience ere lol). I wish you all the best x

Hi Jo, I am sorry you find yourself here.  I am new (this week) here and have too been diagnosed TNBC, have now had my first 2 chemo sessions (weekly for 12 weeks, then every other week for 8 weeks, eek!) and next one on Monday.  My lump is 3cm and also node involvement.  Body scan showed it hadn’t spread which was fab news. I’m waiting for the genetic tests (although no known family history) which I guess will steer the surgery options in a few months time.

The unknown is the worst bit of all of this I have found.  I am much calmer since starting the treatment and thankfully so far have felt pretty ok.  Although I’m realistic enough to know that I wont always feel like this.

Let’s hope you get a date for your chemo quickly. 

x