Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recently diagnosed

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

Re: Recently diagnosed

Hi Lizzie

Just checking into see how you are feeling after your first chemo? 
Becks xx

Highlighted

Hi Becks,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

It really has been an awful time and I just want to get started in my chemo now. Just tonight another lump (lymph node) has come up on my neck and I just want it to stop!

It’s really heartening to read your journey though, especially that you are doing well now.

I wish you luck for the last bit of your journey too.

Much love and thy thanks again, Lizzie xxxxxx

Highlighted

Hi LTrun

You are having such a tough time of it right now lovely but it will get better. I wanted to reassure you that it does get better. 
i was diagnosed last year at 46 with tnbc and today is my one year to the day since starting chemo. Chemo is doable, it makes you feel rough at times and if I could compare to anything it’s like a bloody awful hangover sometimes. I got some side effects such as dodgy feet and sore mouth but there’s something to treat all of that. I lost a couple of toe nails, wasn’t painful and oddly there was a nail underneath too. I finished chemo in May and my nails are back to normal and have been since Christmas.

One thing I will say is that the steroids with chemo will disrupt your sleep, don’t lay in bed trying to sleep as those were the worse times for my mind wandering , get a cosy onesie, get up, watch Netflix etc and take your mind off it.  I used to call my sister in Atlanta too as she was up with the time difference. 
Everyone has a different experience with chemo but it’s doable and very effective with tnbc, the surgery is doable too (I had a double mastectomy with recon) . I also had rads and that was ok too.   I do have a genetic fault and currently waiting on surgery for my ovaries so I can finish this journey I’ve been on. 
I am back at work and on 3 monthly check ups now, seems like last year was a bit of a blur but honestly you tick each treatment off, and find it does go quickly. 
I wish all of you lovely ladies well, and if you want to ask anything please do. Becks xxxx

Highlighted

Hi Artycart,

I’m really sorry to hear your news too! It really is all such a shock.

I’m starting chemo next Thursday and to be honest I really wish it was sooner! 

As horrid as it’s going to be, at least it’s started the fight against this vile thing!

I hope your chemo goes well.

xxxxx

Highlighted

Hi Lizzie,

Your post sounds very familiar...I’ve just been diagnosed a week ago with triple negative. I have a large lump which was initially diagnosed as DCIS. It came as a devastating shock to be told a week later they had now found cancer and had the oncologist waiting outside the door to speak to me right away. 
I will be going straight onto chemo like you and it is a longer course of treatment than most people have and then surgery. I am having genetic testing too and have had a bone scan and heart scan this week in preparation for the first chemo early next week. 
I hope chemo is not as bad as we are worrying it will be xx

Artycart 

Highlighted

Hi Aurore,

Many thanks for your reply.

My plan is to have three cycles and then repeats of the scans followed by another three cycles.

I’m also opting for the genetic testing. If that comes back positive and once they’ve shrunk the cancer enough I will opt for surgery.

It’s most certainly all up in the air at the minute and I’ll be glad to get started.

Good luck with the remainder of your treatment.

Lizzie xxx

Highlighted

Hello Lizzie

just wanted to send you a response as I know there are not always many responses to us being diagnosed with triple negative. It’s positive your treatment is starting next week, that will give you a routine - what is your plan? 
I have just completed my 4th AC and will move onto a second

chemo in 2 weeks time. It’s a lot to take in in the first few weeks and emotions can be up and down and give yourself time. 

i have done a lot of googling - please avoid !!!! 
This forum is very supportive and kind. 

I wish you all the best 

aurore

Highlighted

Thanks Jan, 

I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I'll look out for that book, it'll give me something to do during chemo.  I'll just be glad to get going!

Take care and I'll let you know how my first session went.  It's on Thursday 20 and in the nicest possible way, I really hope its the let down you mentioned.

Take care

Lizzie xxx

Highlighted

Hi Lizzie

Ramblings are very therapeutic. First of all, I’m sorry you have such a horrid diagnosis. No wonder you’re reeling. Your world has been turned upside down, all sorts of thoughts will be rushing through your head and both anger and fear are normal responses. To some extent or another, every one of us here has been through it and we do find our own ways of dealing with the s***. I think the best piece of advice I cn give you at this stage though is to keep away from Google. It’s a terrifying minefield of information and it can;t take your unique circumstances, let alone your emotions into account.

I found chemo a bit of a letdown after all my panicky imaginations - they do everything to mitigate the possible side effects and, though it’s long and tedious, it’s all completely bearable. Just don’t take anything that requires two hands (like knitting) because one will be linked up to a beeping drip! What comes after will depend on the drugs and how you respond to them - and that can’t be predicted but again they’ll do everything to reduce the impact on you.

Your glass half-full comment made me smile. Have you read The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse byCharlie Mackesy? There is one bit when the mole asks the boy if his glass is half full or half empty. The boy says he thinks he’s lucky to have a glass. It’s a book we should each be given with our treatment plan!

I do hope it goes well for you. As the book says, “When the dark clouds come... keep going.” I may adopt that as my motto Smiley Wink 

My very best wishes for you, Jan x

Recently diagnosed

Hi all,

I’m new to the forum. Apologies for the long post...

I was formally diagnosed last week with stage 3, grade 3 triple negative invasive ductal breast cancer which my consultant has confirmed is also an inflammatory cancer.

It’s come as a complete shock and everything feels very unreal at the minute. 

It all started in Mid-December. My diagnosis took a while as originally I was sent to the head and neck clinic. I presented with a lump near my collar bone as well as one in my armpit and, because I was also having night sweats, they thought it was lymphoma. They took a biopsy, knew it was cancer, but didn’t get enough to confirm where it was coming from.

Two weeks after having the biopsy I went back to the head and neck clinic (yes two weeks!). Thank goodness the consultant sent me to the breast clinic. He just wanted to rule it out!!

I saw a fantastic breast consultant who didn’t mess around in getting mammograms, ultrasound and biopsies done. She knew what she was looking at and the biopsy results were back in two days’ Since having a CT scan and being seen in the breast clinic things have moved at lightning speed and I’m starting chemo next week.

I can’t believe how quickly it’s changed the shape of my breast. In the last 3 weeks it’s doubled in size, is completely misshapen and has a patch of what looks like sunburn on it.

They know from my scans that the cancer has spread. It’s in the tissue of my breast, lymph nodes in my neck, under my arm, near my throat and there’s a small pocket in the lining of tissues near my sternum. Tonight I’ve noticed a node starting to swell on the other side of my neck.

The good news is that it isn’t in any major organs - phew!

I’m 46 and terrified! I’ve had some tough times in my life - I’m visually impaired and began losing my sight in my early thirties.  But nothing has prepared me for this.

I am most definitely a glass is half full person, but boy I’m finding it tough to be positive at the minute. I was doing OK until I met  with the oncologist and then the reality of it all hit me full on.

I’m sure there are many women on here who’ve been through similar experiences and I do have a couple of contacts close to home who have had breast cancer, but I’m finding it hard to ask for help and advice.

I’m really unsure what to expect and whether what I’m feeling now (anger and fear) are normal.

Again, sorry for my ramblings.....

Lizzie x