TNC, IBC & orange peel

Besides myself. Been diagnosed with TNC. Had one chemo session, having it weekly. Before chemo started, I noticed orange peel skin not over where the lump is but in a different area. Has anybody else had this & what was the outcome. Can you get both a lump that is TNC & also IBC at the same time. So worried, I’ve not slept. 

Hi Pewter

I’m TN to. The irony for me was that I went through all my primary treatment, knowing I had two tumours but completely unaware one was TN. I definitely played ostrich but all I saw was a row of hormone scores. I never looked at the line above, which was negative negative negative. Nor did I understand and no one ever mentioned it to me, for which I’m grateful. I know how I felt at my diagnosis and, knowing what I know now, I can’t imagine how I would have felt and where my thoughts might have gone. With my secondary diagnosis, I have to say I’m just shrugging it off. So it’s TN. Nothin will change that.

First, I just wanted to say that you should now have access to a breast care nurse or team. Ring them. They know their business and have access to your records and can answer your question, hopefully putting your mind at ease. If you don’t know their number yet, just ring the switchboard and ask for the breast cancer nurses. Alternatively, I can strongly recommend ringing the number above. It’s a wonderful service, the nurses listen and are so reassuring. It seems an easy enough question to answer and will give you a chance to talk about your feelings which, to me, seem half the battle. 

There is a very good and ‘professional’ FB group for TN patients in the UK/N Ireland. It might be worth looking into it. Members exchange experiences, celebrate treatment successes, explore their fears - it’s good to find others in the same situation. One thing you will learn is how long many women live with the condition and how many new treatment options are coming to the fore. The other thing that strikes me about what you wrote is the suspicion that you may have been Googling IBC. Please don’t. You will find almost everyone here agrees that Dr Google is dangerous. There is no consideration for your emotions, it has no idea of your unique circumstances and generally it ends up frightening us to the point of terror. Been there. Never again. 

I hope you see this in time to make a call today (the earlier the better for your bc team). I wish you all the best and hope your treatment is successful.

Jan x

Hi @Pewter  i went to see my gp before christmas because i developed inflammation and had orange peel skin iand elarged pores in places around my breast, i was worried sick i had IBC  …gp sent me to breast clinic where i had mamogram, ultra sound and then a core biopsy as they found 2 small lumps, i was told i had breast cancer straight after biopsy …when the results came back i was diagnosed with grade 3 invasive ductal ER- HER2+ and after MRI and PETCT i was told the cancer is in one node, with that i asked about the inflammation and orange peel skin and whether i could have IBC too, the breast dr said she thinks that where the cancer i have is aggressive, its where it is growing in the breast tissue and making my breast swollen, causing the inflammation and orange peel skin and not IBC, so she did a punch biopsy to rule it out, the test came back negative for IBC and i was convinced i had it, the breast dr told me that a lot of ladies have inflammation round the skin of the breast caused by the cancer inside the breast tissue itself.