Asking for lighter work refused

Hi I’m currently off work due to a hemotoma removal from my original masctomy site, I have a very manual job and I have been off work for six weeks. The day before surgery I requested could I be placed on lighter work when I return as the manual work I do now I wasn’t sure if I could continue to do, I was told no I can only come back to my contractual job nothing else. I did say that due to my cancer diagnosis three years ago I was now classed as disabled my employer refused to believe this saying cancer is not a disability.  As I have looked up on various gov web sites cancer is classed as a disability the employee can ask for reasonable adjustments to their work patterns or to use different equipment to make working easier the employer does not have to do this, but could be classed under the disability at work act as discrimination against the employee.                     My question is has anyone else been in this situation and if so what have they done , thank you .

<Empty imported post>

Are you in a union? That would be my first port of call. Also speak to HR if your employer has them. You could ask your doctor for a fit note stating what you can/can’t do. Macmillan are very good with advice too.

Your employer is wrong. The disability across would now apply to you

Sorry, posted before I finished. It’s the equality act 2010 that covers you.