Can they sack me for being off work too long

How long has everyone been off work. I want to go back in March after initially saying I would be back in January. I have had idc grade 3 triple positive, chemo 17, surgery Jan 18, rads March 18 and a hysterectomy and ovary removal 2 weeks ago. I work for the local authority and my line manager didn’t seem very sympathetic when I emailed her. I feel I need to get some counselling and get my mammogram done which is scheduled for jak 2019 first. Can they sack me? I would have been off 19 months by the time March arrives.

Have you got Occy health on your side /Union support if not may be worth getting this and maybe speaking to on phone to Macmillan advisors who are knowledgable about work matters ? They can terminate your contract if they don’t feel you can return to work in an acceptable period of time but what is "reasonable " period of time is subjective ( this happened to me and they wouldn’t give me a further 4 months to recover ) but if you have a clear plan and reasons for this hopefully they will give you the time you need .Get some advice and support with it .Jill x

Hi Fairy, definitely get some advice from macmillan and citizens advice. Local authorities usually have very good policies and procedures (I work for a multi academy schools trust and we adopted most of the local authority policies after becoming a MAT).

Check your absence policy. There’s usually 4 or 5 steps they have to take before being able to dismiss you on capability grounds. You are protected under the equality act and they are obliged to make reasonable adjustments to accommodate you and your return to work.

As Jill says get a referral to occupational health - but beware they are instructed by your employer so not entirely independent.

You need to take the time to recover, no good going back too early and after a hysterectomy you need those 3 months.

Sending positive thoughts your way xx