Critical illness Claim Stuck with GP

Has anyone else had problems with their GP causing a delay in completing a form for critical illness? 

I have recently had a mastectomy due to invasive lobular breast cancer and contacted Legal and General to put in a claim at the start of July. I was diagnosed with cancer mid June At this point I was still working. L&G sent out the claims form and paid for the form to be completed. 

I called into the Drs today to be told by a girl who handles the claims that it had not been paid yet, I said it has, as I contacted L&G. She was not sympathetic at all and said it will be completed as and when as it is non NHS work. I explained that I am not receiving full pay from my employer and she just shrugged her shoulders. I walked out of the GP practice crying. 

I then called L&G and asked them to contact the GP practice to tell them it had been paid, which they did do. 

I am incredibly frustrated and upset as this has taken months to get this far. I read posts of online saying that people had been paid out in weeks. It’s bad enough going through breast cancer treatment, I find out next week if I will need to have chemotherapy, but will definitely need to have radiotherapy and tamoxifen.

Hi @Sunflower14 ,

We’re sorry to hear what you’re going through, it’s understandable that you’re feeling frustrated. Hopefully someone will come along soon who can share a similar experience. We just wanted to let you know that if you would like to chat about this, our nurses are just at the end of our free Helpline 0808 800 6000 and it’s open 9am-4pm weekdays and 9am-1pm Saturdays.

Take care,

Laura at Breast Cancer Care

Hi Sunflower14,

The last thing you need at this time is an unhelpful GP practice. However I’m not surprised - I often think the receptionists and staff are trained to be unhelpful.  

My only advice is to go to the top - I would ring or go back to GP surgery and insist on speaking to the practice manager at the surgery, failing that make an appointment with the GP him/herself, although no doubt that will be a further wait of several weeks.  Also get a family member or friend to go with you and stand up for you - choose a stubborn one!!  My wife has been my best advocate with my GP surgery, and she takes no nonsense and almost shames them to be helpful.  (I have now moved to a helpful GP practice - so much easier!)

With my critical illness policy I got the breast surgeon to fill in the form and she was very willing to and didn’t charge and i had the money in weeks.  Glad to hear L&G being helpful - maybe ask the surgeon if he/she willing to help and then ask L&G to send form to surgeon?  I’m sure oncologist would also be willing to complete form if you have moved on from surgery.  

Good luck.