363443posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exhausted after resuming 12hr shifts

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Exhausted after resuming 12hr shifts

Thanks so much for getting back to me.  I’m glad to hear you are doing ok and agree that I do need to “ make the leap” and give it a go.  I know in myself that I need to get back into work in order to get my confidence back as well as a vital part of moving on from cancer/treatments.

Hey there,

Im actually doing really well, I’m doing 2x 12hr shifts per week with at least a day in between and it’s completely manageable.  I work in AE which is very busy and can be stressful but I am so glad to be back and I love it. I’ll be honest the first 4-6 weeks were tough on the body, I was physically exhausted but my strength is returning and the recovery is getting shorter. There are jobs out there for 8hr days or part time hours which don’t include 12hr shifts- I think if you love your job then make the leap- it’s worth it.

Hi I’m wondering how you are doing at work now?  Like you I was a nurse working 12 hour shifts before diagnosis August 2019.  My treatments finished March 2020 then like you lockdown and shielding.  I didn’t work as a nurse throughout.  My latest contract was as a hospital based bank nurse and supported phased hours back were not an option.  I have been doing regular volunteer shop work but just short hours.  I’m now applying for new jobs.  I feel physically fit but the thought of 12 hour shifts which are commonplace in healthcare makes me anxious.  Not just the physical toll but mentally.

thanks

No, but, essential though your work is, I’d remind you to listen to your body. I’m awestruck! I finished chemo March 2019 and I still get long bouts of fatigue. Look after yourself?

Exhausted after resuming 12hr shifts

Hi,

Anyone resumed work doing 12hr shifts? My last treatment was in March 2020, I was then locked down until end of July. I have gone back to work (as a nurse) on a 4 week phased return, 2 shifts per week firstly 6hr shifts for 2 weeks, then 9hrs for 2 weeks and now normal 12hr shifts.

when on shift I’m fine(adrenaline and all that) but after my second shift I have started experiencing severe pain in my back around my kidneys and up into my sides. I’m just wondering if anyone else has resumed 12hr shifts in any capacity and is experiencing anything similar??

thanks