Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling unfulfilled at work

10 REPLIES 10
Lucy51

Re: Feeling unfulfilled at work

Hi 

I’m so excited for you, I hope whatever you decide to makes you happy and fulfilled. 
Thank you, you’re very kind and thank you to @Stormyseas 

@sending love snd kindness 

happydays

Hi Lucy51

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I’m very sorry to hear about your husband’s diagnosis and your struggles post treatment. Your words of encouragement mean a lot to me. I gave my notice in on Friday - and although it feels scary I am focusing on your wise words - I really haven’t come this far to continue doing something that makes me unhappy.

Sending you a big virtual hug xxx

Stormyseas

Hi Lucy51

Thank you for replying. I am so sorry to hear that it brought up old wounds for you, and about your husband. I hope you can make the most of the time you have together. 
I am about 80% for giving up work, just find it very scary as I have worked for over 40 years. Decided to take it one week at a time for now before making my final decision. 
Keep Smiling x

Stormyseas

Hi Happydays

Thank you for your reply, you are a very brave lady 😄, I hope everything works out well for you, and you find a role that is more satisfying.

Good Luck x

Lucy51

Hi Stormyseas

To follow on from my reply to happydays, if you’ve gone through your finances and are in a position to leave then I’d say it’s worth it. At first it was a big change financially but I soon adapted and can say I’ve never regretted it. 
I think your happiness and mental well being should be the priority after such a traumatic event. 
Good luck for the future xx 

Lucy51

Hi happydays, 

No I didn’t go back to work and on the whole haven’t regretted it. I have really struggled post treatment to move on for a variety of reasons but I think it brought up a trauma from when I was a lot younger that I didn’t know how to deal with and the cancer blew that to the forefront. I’ve been having counselling for quite some time and progress has been made. 
Unfortunately earlier this year my husband was diagnosed with incurable cancer which has compounded some of that but I’m coping and for now he’s doing well. 
Ive never regretted leaving work, I wasn’t in a good place to return but most of all they didn’t support or care about me when I needed it most.

I’m so pleased you’re making the move and I hope you’re excited about your new career. Don’t waste precious time doing things that don’t make you happy or somewhere that doesn’t recognise your value.
Good luck happydays I’m excited for you xx  

happydays

Hey Stormyseas,

Thanks for your reply, you have summed things up beautifully - you are so right, cancer gives you a completely new perspective. I have enough saved up to tide me over for a few months so I'm taking the plunge. I've already drafted my resignation. To be honest, I've been wanting to change career for sometime but I was always the worlds biggest procrastinator and also lacked the confidence to do it. The last 8 months have at least proved that I am far more resilient than I ever thought possible.

Good luck to you in your decision too xx

Stormyseas

Hi Happydays

I hope you don’t mind me joining this thread.

I have been back at work for just over a year now following treatment, and really don’t enjoy being back, even though I cut my hours. I think you end up with a new perspective on what is really important to you following treatment, and find you want to spend more time doing things with your loved ones without the time constraints of working. I am seriously considering quitting my job, financially we should just be able to manage, but I feel I want to enjoy life while I am still healthy enough to, going through this has brought home you never know what is around the corner.

All I can suggest is do what you think is right for you, you don’t want to end up stressed and resenting going to work, on the other hand how would you feel about not working? Are there any other roles you could do at work that you may find more interesting? Way up the pros and cons before making your decision, I know it’s a hard one.

Keep Smiling xx

happydays

Hi Lucy51,

I know it’s been a while since you posted your reply but I just wondered how you got on - did you leave your job?

I’m in a similar position - been at the company for nearly 20 years but haven’t been enjoying it for the last 5/6 years. Rads finished last Thursday and I’m unsure about how to move on with work.

thanks xx

Lucy51

Hi Annpena, 

just read your post about work. Well done going back after treatment and getting promoted, that’s not easy to do. 

I think how we feel about work/life changes after going through so much. I’ve been off work since March and have pretty much decided I won’t be going back. I’ve been with the same employer for 30 years and no longer enjoy what I do. Part of me feels I don’t want to waste my time sitting doing something I don’t get any enjoyment from. 

Financially things will have to change but we’ll manage. At the moment I feel I just need time to get over what’s happened and then hopefully find something I find a bit more fulfilling. 

I hope things work out for you xx 

annpena

Feeling unfulfilled at work

Things were sailing well when I returned to work and was grateful for the support I was given by the management during treatment of my breast cancer. I even got promoted later after coming back . However,  I realised I am not getting fulfilled on what I do anymore started to dislike what I do. I felt I was spending more time at work than my loved ones. I recently cut my hours but has put a strain on our financial situation and I don’t want to go back being full time again.

many thanks

Kerry