360416posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having to apply for universal credit.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Re: Having to apply for universal credit.

Hi, the benefit system is complicated even though DWP claim UC has simplified it! I work f/t as I have no option. When I was diagnosed and treated I contacted both Tenovus and Macmillan for help as I could not face returning full time to my v. Stressful job in contact centre. They looked into benfit claims for me and helped with the forms but sadly I wasn't entitled. I had to return to work as too many commitment to give up but I fought for reasonable adjustments- when OH deemed me fit I got my union involved and got a second opinion which forced employer to change my shift patterns and move me to a less stressful business line which did help until I found a new job off the phones. I am now 58 and cannot retire til 67 but I have been told I can apply for ill health retirement if I cannot cope due to side effects of meds or mental health issues. However they can't say if I would get it or not. Sorry I can't offer more help but hope this info is of some use. Best wishes Michele x
Highlighted

Having to apply for universal credit.

I'm in remission from breast cancer. ...active treatment ended Jan 17.
On tamoxifen now. Gave up work on diagnosis. Getting ill health pension for 3 years. Was on support group esa until last week. Now I have to apply for universal credit. A friend has told me I won't get it.....I'm getting pension....I'm 50....and I have some savings plus my husband works. I had a medical assesment 2 minths ago and have veen deemed fit. I suffer on the tamoxifen and have peripheral neuropathy. If I'm honest I'm enjoying not working. ....looking after my family and grandkids.
Anyone experienced this? ? Should I continue the process or not bother. X