Occupational Health Referral

Hi 

I had a welfare meeting yesterday with work and been told I will be referred to occupational health. I have to say I am petrified as I know and my GP knows I’m not ready to go back to work yet. Can they make me go back to work sooner? Thanks xx

Hi Sunflower

I doubt very much that they would be wanting to force you back to work before you are ready.

I work in the public sector and part of the managing attendance process if we are off work for more than four weeks we are referred to occupational health.

I was in regular contact with my occupational health throughout my time off for surgery, chemo and rads.

They were there to support me and at no time pushed me to return. When I was ready to return after 9 months, they were the ones who insisted I had a phased return and monitored how I was coping with it. One of their main roles is to support people back to work when they are ready (not force it) as at the end of the day they want people back to work not push them so they are off again.

It’s natural to be worried about something we have not had to face before and to be fair I do think referals to occie health have been used as a threat against workers which is a real shame as I found them very supportive as have many other people I know and hand on heart I can’t say there is anyone I know of in my organisation who have had a negative experience with them.

Try going in with a couple of questions i.e. ask them how they will help you return to work when you are ready, ask them what the procedure is you need to follow and if you feel able ask them if the meeting has been organised to force you back to work before you’re ready, at least you’d know then. 

Above all else remember you are a tough cookie to have gone through everything you have so try not to worry about the meeting.

Joemic x ?