cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private medical recommendations and changing jobs

3 REPLIES 3
Bondgirl

Re: Private medical recommendations and changing jobs

Hi, I have had private health with Aviva since 2003 and was diagnosed in 2014 with stage 2 lobular and ducal breast cancer, also nodes involved. Had all my treatment, being surgery, chemo, more surgery then radiotherapy all covered by them. This July my husband decided to retire after us having our own business for 28 years, the health cover was paid for through the business.

I spoke to,Aviva and they just transferred it to a personal policy, it wasn't that much dearer but was quite expensive per month. They told me I could lower the monthly premiums by accepting a higher excess, to,reduce it more I took off some elements of cover we did nt need.

They transferred my existing medical history, but when I looked to shop around the other companies were mega expensive coz they wouldn't cover the pre-existing condition.

if it was me I would speak to BUPA and ask how you can reduce the monthly premium.  

Xx

HJB

Many thanks! 

Seabreeze

Hi HJB,

I can't make any suggestions re other companies, and I'm sure you have thought of this already, but just in case....if you're currently with BUPA through work, it may be that they give you a standard charge for cover and continue to do so as an ongoing customer/policy holder if you leave your current employer.

If you change to another provider they may well base their premium on a completed medical questionnaire and bump up the quote re breast cancer. I know it's irritating and not really fair....just something you might want to consider if your current provider only gives you a limited amount of time to confirm after leaving your current employment.

Hope someone can help you re which companies are good.

Seabreeze x

HJB

Private medical recommendations and changing jobs

I am currently covered under BUPA through my work, however, in the event that I leave work, I would still like to be covered privately. I am nearing the end of my BC treatment. Can anyone recommend/ share any good and reasonably priced private medical schemes ( although BUPA has been brilliant, they are very expensive!).