Returning to work - any tips?

Hello Ladies

I have been signed off work since I was diagnosed.  I finish radiotherapy next week and I am starting to consider going back.  I only work part time, but it is quite a stressful job, with no room for any errors to be made, or opportunities to take things a bit easy.  My boss and colleagues have been really supportive whilst I have been off, but I wonder if once I am back they would expect me to hit the floor running.

I have accrued a couple of weeks leave and my first thought was to take all this off before I actually get back, to give me a couple more weeks at home to recover - and to be paid!  I would lose the leave after the end of June as that is the end of the leave year and we can’t carry anything forward.  I assume this means I can’t then return to work on a phased basis, as I will “formally” have already returned to the “full time” hours I actually do.

Anyway, that is a long introduction, just to ask those who have already been through this what tips or advice you might have about returning.  I am feeling quite concerned that my brain is absolute mush and I am going to get things wrong and so on.  I am also concerned about just being back in a work environment.  I have pretty much been by myself for the past four months, and if I am tied I rest, if I am hungry I eat etc.  Hearing anyone else’s experiences would really help me out.

Thank you.

A

Hi

Lovely to hear you feel ready to think about going back to work. I have just received my diagnosis so just signed off.

Is it worth speaking to HR if you have one or occupational health? I know where I work I will get a phased return over 4 weeks and if I wanted extra I can use any accrued leave to extend my phased return.

Mel x