Returning to work

I am coming to the end of my 18 months if treatment and I am getting really anxious about returning to work. Is it normal to want some extra time off to just get over my treatment?

Hi @Kazzie  

Congratulations on coming to the end of your treatment

It is extremely understandable that you are feeling like you need extra time to recover from your treatment: the effects of cancer treatment have both physical and psychological effects. My oncologist advised me not to return to work until I was crawling the walls!  
There is lots of free support and advice (including legal employment advice: employees who have been through cancer treatment are covered by the Disability Discrimination Act and employers have to make reasonable adjustments when you do return) available through Breast Cancer Now, Macmillan and Maggie’s (and probably others) and you may find speaking to someone about your specific concerns helpful. 
Good luck

AM xxx

I’d say both normal, and very advisable! You’ve been through *so* much - huge congrats! - and of course you need time to recover, both physically and psychologically. 

I know it might not all be up to you but try to give yourself as long as you need/can. I had a therapist explain to me that when I hit the point of recovery that I could finally start doing things again, little fun things, my guilt  would kick in that I was doing those but not at work. But, world of difference between doing something enjoyable for a bit, and hours of focus. So yeah, go easy on yourself xx

Hi Kazzi 

glad to hear that you are coming towards the end of your treatment, well done for getting there. You are not alone in thinking about the difficulties of returning to work after what you have just gone through, I know there are many ladies who are eager to get back to their old life and who cope amazingly well, I was not one of those ladies.  Even though I loved my job, I didn’t feel “well” even after my treatment was finished and it took me a lot longer than I expected to being to feel like I wanted to go back. My employer was very accommodating and agreed to part time and phased return but also made it clear that when I did return they expected me to participate at full capacity. I didn’t feel this was something I could commit to, which made it easier for me to extend my leave of absence. I guess it depends on what treatment you have had and how demanding your job is, only you can decide when is the right time. Don’t feel guilty about not going straight back if it’s not right, you have been through the mill and need time to come to terms with what has happened. We all  recover at different times and some of us cope better than others. What is important is that you look after yourself and don’t get forced into going back because other people think you should be on the mend.  Good luck with your decision and do what’s best for you. Sending you lots of virtual hugs,

Sue

Definitely not @Kazzie  I have been off since my diagnosis in Nov 2020, I was lucky though my manager furloughed me as I work in a preschool and she said it was too risky for me to be there during Covid. I did do little bits to help from home and in September went on long term sick. I had Chemo and radiotherapy which finished in Dec 2021 and I am still having Herceptin injections 3 weekly. I am suffering side effects and am in pain everyday, also suffering anxiety since finishing my treatments. I am going to try to go back to work a few hrs after Easter but feel that I do not want to return even part time yet, I just need time to take in the rollercoaster of the journey I have been on. But as I say I am lucky that I was paid during furlough and have only been on ssp since Sept 2021. I am in the process of trying to claim ESA. Its so hard trying to move forward after everything people don’t understand that even though we have finished treatment we are still struggling xxx

Take as long as you need.

I thought I was up to returning to work, and threw myself into it: BAD move!!!

When you feel fully rested - then it’s time.  And a phased return - you can have no idea how you will feel heading back (physically and mentally)