cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling to get Life insurance her2

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Struggling to get Life insurance her2

Hows everyone doing? Met with my broker yesterday after he'd done extensive research and was told due to the fact I've had 2 cancers and on hormone blockers it would be 15 years before i'd be considered for critical illness cover.:(Best and only option for me seems to be one of the plans where they dont ask health questions.At least a minimum amount would be put away where I cant get it and would cover funeral expenses at least.
Highlighted

Hi Kate

Sorry to hear you wasn't able to get a quote.  You do wonder sometimes just who is deciding how much crap to chuck at one person.....My tumour was grade 2 stage 3    6.5cm in size   but i was 50 and ER+8 PR+8 so ideal candidate for Tamoxifen now Letrazole.  It really does have a massive negative impact on your body.  I am a 55 year old in an 80 year old body.  I am very high maintenance, wrinkles need ironing out and i need Old Lady moisturizer......Hope you're doing OK at the moment and you are able to get this curent concern sorted.

Take Care  Butterfly xx   

Highlighted

Thanks for the reply Butterfly.
The insurance surgery company got back to me and that too was a no go. I don't take tamoxifen as I was only just positive for oestrogen and the side affects of it for me being young were too difficult for my body to take so myself and the oncologist agreed for me to come off it and I've not taken it now for over 2 year. The brokers told me that my problem is my age and the stage of my cancer. It's looking highly unlikely that I will get insured and if I do manage it the premiums will be too high for me to afford. My husband has a great salary but my youngest daughter is classed as disabled and takes up a lot of our funds in just hospital appointments alone, add to that the fact that I can't work myself due to the amount of appointments she has means I won't be able to pay the monthly fees they'll require. To use your quote "I'm stuffed".
I've also got a new lump in my good breast that needs looking at and that will all be on my records so I'm wondering if I should find an alternative way to save/insure myself. I don't really know where to turn.

Kate x
Highlighted

Hi Kander

Not posted for a while.  I've just had a bit of a rant myself. 

I am 6 yrs post diagnosis.  My life insurance went up x 3 following diagnosis,  i had paid it for 30 yrs plus....

We bought a house 2 years ago and despite having gone back to work, decent job with a pension including twice my salary if death in service..... I still could not have my salary taken into consideration or get any insurance.

I did at the time take out critcal illness for my Husband and an additional life policy.

The Broker i spoke with was only young but very knowledgeable and said i should stick with Scottish Widdows who had tripled my contributions. (his exact words were 'you're stuffed')  He did say the Insurance companies consider Tamoxifen & Letrazole as ongoing treatment and won't even consider cover.  He did say it had previously been 5 years but very recent research had indicated 10 years on Tamoxifen / Letrazole.  This was in 2013 and was only just filtering through so i did think he knew his stuff... 

He said come back after all treatment finished...

I have managed to get travel insurance tho' without problems.  Hope you are well and remain so.

Butterfly x .

Highlighted

Thanks Jo

I'm coming up to my 5 years since dx so I hoped my chances would be better but they're saying not yet. My fingers are crossed for my call back from insurance surgery and with any luck he will have me a great policy but I am fearful that it may not happen for a bit longer yet!

Thanks Kate
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi, I don't really have any advice for you but didn't want to read and run, I've not come across anyone asking this before it's generally travel insurance that gets discussed but I guess others must have come up against the same.

It is very unfair as so many things associated with BC are, we didn't ask for any of this yet it's something that follows us around and we can't quite shake it off! 

I guess the further away from diagnosis you get the higher your chances of getting life insurance will be, fingers crossed this current application comes up trumps for you and on a more important note good to see you are a few years on and doing well Xx Jo 

Highlighted

Struggling to get Life insurance her2

Hi Ladies.
I'm finding myself getting increasingly frustrated and angry with the world because I've tried to get Life insurance and at the moment I'm struggling.
I was diagnosed 2013 and competed all my treatment 2016. Triple pos, grade/stage 3 with node involvement, age 29. I tried to get insurance 2 years ago when we got a new mortgage and after going through the long drawn out application process they said I was too high risk of a claim and to try again when I get to 3 years past diagnosis. Fast forward to this week I thought I'd try again so I contacted a broker, he took my details and said he was going to go straight to the underwriters so I didn't have to endure the whole application and end up it being for nothing. After a period of time he called back and said that "unfortunately they're not willing to insure me because I'm a high risk of a claim", again I felt very deflated but I was flabbergasted when his next line was " I'm very sorry but give us a call back in 20 years and we can insure you then". I swear I could have cried. It's unfair! I didn't choose to have bc and it's not my fault that it was the more aggressive type or that it spread. All I was to do is make the future for my family a secure one.
After reading some of the post on here I found that many bc women are using the insurance surgery so I contacted them, He's taken all my details and is going to call me back on Monday so I still have a slither of hope, however he didn't sound too enthusiastic and he stated that even if he could find an insurer, my premiums are going to be very high so I am nervous to see how much they'll want me to pay and what stipulations will come with the contract.

I've not really come for advise, just moral support and a good old rant but I'll obviously love to hear your stories if you think it'll help.

Sorry for the long ramble

Bc never leaves once it arrives, even when it's treated and gone, it leaves a stain on the future and it sucks!