Travel Insurance

Hello

We are going skiing in Switzerland in January. It is a bit of a last minute decision as we were offered a cheap, affordable  deal involving a long coach journey;-).   It is more so that my family can ski - i am a very cautious skier and will venture onto  green pistes only.  However I am really looking forward to the trip.

I have travel insurance with my bank account which covers winter sports. But due to my breast cancer diagnosis I need to pay an extra £150. This seems rather steep. 

I would be really interested to know if anyone has had good experience of taking out Travel Insurance?  I know I can shop around myself but it is horrible answering all of the questions about your medical history. I don’t want to be doing that loads of times.

I was diagnosed in December last year, had a lumpectomy and radiotherapy and am currently on Tamoxifen

Thank you for reading 

Hi, it’s really annoying that travel insurance can hike the prices so much. Have you searched on-line for a cheaper deal? I know it can be daunting keep repeating the same information, but if it saves you money then perhaps worth a try. Firms like Staysure come to mind. I’m sure others on here will also have other information. If you are not having active treatment apart from Tamoxifen the risk seems pretty low.  Good luck x

Good day to all!

My desperation has no limits. I always dreamt to visit Dresden. So, last weekend we found a very good deal, which with no hesitation we bought. However, we completely forgot that granny is on Tamoxifen now. The travel agent made 4 bookings with the same insurance, without knowing that Granny needs a different one. I believe we have to change that, but we can not afford it right now. They are all so expensive, one insurance for granny costs as much as the trip for one person. I believe, we will ask the agent to return our money and I will read in continuation about Dresden on sites like travelsafe-abroad.com/germany/dresden/.

I had a read of various posts regards travel insurance - and then when checking online, actually for bog-standard travel insurance it really wasn’t much more (I think I paid under £50 for the year - but have no other health issues, and am not going to the USA).  

What was useful to learn was to get annual basic travel insurance, and then for higher risk activities (trekking at high altitude for me) to arrange specific insurance just for that time period (rather than do my usual of getting annual insurance to cover high altitude treks)

Hi @Cox05  ,

know you posted a little while ago, did you sort out your insurance? I was researching options last night for our ski trip in Feb. I found it frustrating as my history (high grade DCIS with SMX and immediate DIEP) didn’t quite fit into the choice box options. Eventually though I found Insure With and I got a policy with winter sports cover for our family of 4 for 8 days for £100. Their reviews seem good too. More than I’ve ever paid before though thanks to the DCIS. Maybe having a reconstructed boob will make me more likely to fall over ?