Voluntary work in the work place

Hi All

Any help would be appreciated in this subject.

Though everything has been good for the past 12mths after having breast cancer, employers have been very supportive etc, so no complaints. I do voluntary first aid in the worplace, it has become too much for me after treatment. So I have told my employers that I will not be renewing my first aid certificate in September. Thy have now jumped on me, by telling me that if I don’t continue, I will be moved to another department to work & another person will take over my role. So I now feel under pressure from my employers. What are my rights, can they do this?

Peggy

Peggy

That can not be right. As you are covered under the Equality Act 2010, they have to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to do your job and you are letting them know that this is something, which you have done voluntarily, you can no longer do as a result of the bc. I would have thought that because you are doing this voluntarily I am assuming that it is not part of your contract of employment so how can they do that?  Is it a significant part of your role.

If I was you I would go to the Citizens Advice Bureau to see what they say or contact the McMillan Centre near you as I am sure they will be able to give you advice.  Are you in a Union?

It just sounds so wrong that they are threatening to do this.  Hopefully one of the other ladies on here might be able to provide some further support on this.

Helena xx