cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work Stress

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Work Stress

Hi All

Just to let you know how the meeting went with HR today.

Well I dont think they quite understand and it was put to me that I might need counselling as i mentioned that Its all very well the new woman saying that i am over the cancer, the cancer has gone. I said you never get over cancer, and no one who has never had cancer should ever say that to someone who has had cancer. I sent the lady in HR the booklets that Macmillan sent to me. 

I mentioned also that i was told that my contract is different to the other members of staff who work full time and that i was told that this new woman does not think of me on reduced hours. surely when you are covering the phones you take that into account. The ratio of time should be reflected on the numbers of hours worked.

I felt miss understood, again. Any advice, i would be grateful of xx

Hi 

I have got a meeting with HR this morning to flag up everything and to highlight that I am covered by the Equality act and that I am classed as disabled. I just hope they listen to me :(xx

Hi Jan

I just want them to understand that I am still very fragile, i am not the same person as before my cancer treatment. I get exhausted easily and its come to a point where I have been pushed over the edge. the first meeting with this new woman and hr was brushed over a miss understanding, miss communications. I feel it is a poor excuse. 

Oh gosh, bless you. I had something similar in July, something was picked up on my liver and the breast care team thought it was secondary cancer. But I still ended up in a meeting with HR and this woman.  It really makes me so cross xx

Hi Bookish

Thank you so much for the link. I will pass this onto HR tomorrow xx

Hi Sunflower

So glad Macmillan proved helpful (though it always feels a bit disloyal to mention another charity! I know it’s not). You have been proactive throughout. Maybe you could look on this meeting as a possibility that HR have talked to her and are giving her the chance to mend fences but it certainly sounds like no one really understands that a cancer diagnosis, regardless of the severity of the cancer or the treatment, is what lies with us forever and it can take a long time to come to terms with it and establish what we used to call our new normal (unfortunately the bloody government hijacked that as a neat soundbite for living in the pandemic so its lost its meaning for me.

Using me as an example, having lost all my lymph nodes, I asked the nurse here if a swollen gland that side, in the neck, plus a swollen eyelid, could be a result of the messed up lymph node. She advised I spoke to my breast care nurse. That led to an oncology appointment the next day, a ruined Christmas, two MRIs (don’t ask) and then the news that everything was fine. I knew it was and wasn’t surprised. My husband was literally sick with worry. They should try living with that for the rest of their lives! Me, I’m getting on fine mentally but struggling with damage done during chemo (that’s what comes of being too skinny) so not yet ‘free’ to move into the cancer-free world, dammit!

This article is excellent - sorry if you’ve read it before: 

http://www.workingwithcancer.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/After-the-treatment-finishes-then-what...

It may give you some things to say to help her understand that cancer is much more than a disease to be treated and move on.

Registering your health condition is automatic, under the Equalities Act. You are protected, as far as I am aware, permanently. When you google it, the Macmillan leaflet comes up so you can be informed before you even receive it through the post.

Wishing you all the best and rooting for you

Jan xx

Hi Sunflower,

The Equalities Act covers people who have AND who *have had* cancer. It still covers you even after successful treatment.

Macmillan has a great resource on it all, might be worth passing on to your employers:

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/documents/getinvolved/campaigns/workingthroughcancer/equalityact2010wor...

Hi Jaybro

Good to hear from you. How are you getting on?

Do I have to tell my employer to register me as disabled, even though i have had a mastectomy and the cancer and i am clear of it. Does this mean I am still living with cancer? The new woman last year said to me 'the cancer has gone' i felt that that was a way of saying to me, get on with it. I mentioned this in the HR meeting a few months ago and it came to light that it was a miss understanding on my part. Hmm i don't think it was.

My work load last week was crazy, and the new woman today made a point to say that the phones aren't that busy, but my argument is that when you are trying to get work done and they ring i cant get anything done. I don't belong to a trade union unfortunately. 

Myself and another lady at work have sent an email to HR as she too is very unhappy in work, but we have not received a reply from them.

I phoned Macmillan this morning and they were very helpful, they have emailed me a couple of booklets, one of which i will be sending to my manager and this new lady as well as HR. I handed HR a copy of the booklet when i had a Welfare meeting, which happened before I returned to work. But looks like they are not taking onboard what the law says. I have an appointment with my GP tomorrow too.

This new woman has today asked for a one to one with me next Monday, which i am now dreading, as I have not had chance to do the work she has asked me to do. All i want is someone to take me seriously xx

Hi Sunflower

The fact that you transitioned smoothly and quickly from treatment back into work is to your credit but this situation is unacceptable and perhaps should be moved to a formal level of investigation by HR. Your employer is obliged to register you as disabled under the Equalities Act 2010, which replaced the Disability Discrimination Act. It might be worth looking at the relevant sections on workplace bullying for your own reassurance but I would advise you to ring the Macmillan helpline and choose the Work option. You will get very well-informed advice as well as being free to RANT. Unfortunately, facing up to someone who thinks they are proving they can do their new job well and even motivate the ill to work harder is difficult as they simply don’t understand the damage they are doing.

You are now living with cancer and doing the best job you can in the circumstances. Be proud of that. Acknowledge that you are on the receiving end of what’s legally defined as workplace bullying and that there are things you can do to put this right, even if you choose not to. I’m guessing you don’t belong to a trade union as you haven’t mentioned it. HR won’t want this to be elevated to a formal action so they should support you all the way.

Meantime, look after your emotional health - have a look at the online sessions being run by Breast Cancer Haven and, of course, explore YouTube for relaxation and positive affirmations videos that can help. I hope it gets resolved quickly. Jan x

Hi Shi

Many thanks for your reply

I will call the number on this website, i will do that tomorrow. I was asked to train some members of staff, but I havent used the system for over a year and a half as I have been off sick. I broke down this week, because i feel i cannot do it, as i have not used the system for that long and because of that my confidence has been knocked. 

The constant being picked on is really taking its toll. 

xx

Hi M123

Thank you so much for your reply. I had a phase return in May and I am on reduced hours, however back in March before the lockdown the Occupational Health Consultant did recommend working from home upto 2 days a week. my manager refused this. Then we went on lockdown and now all working from home. I have asked once covid is over can i would like to work from home 3 days a week as we now have a flexible policy, my manager again said she would have to think about it, even though my daughter has a disability and i wanted to be at home to support her.

I am exhausted and fed up with battling in work. it shouldnt be happening, but i feel a bit stuck xx

Community Champion
Community Champion

Sunflower ❤️ Call the number on here, I am sure they can help advise on law against discrimination and how to go about things. Hopefully others will pop on with some additional advise too ❤️ So sorry to hear you are in this position and hopefully you will be given some good advice here also have free half hour consultation with employment lawyer about things. 💕💕Shi xx

Wow, that sounds really stressful! Does your line manager know that they have to make reasonable adjustments for you? https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-information-and-support/impacts-of-cancer/work-and-cancer/reason...

Work Stress

Hi All

I have come back on here as I am really struggling at work. I returned to work in May 2020 after having a mastectomy, radiotherapy and hormone treatment, which is ongoing. 

Everything was great up until a new member of staff who is now my line manager took up their role. I was advised to work from home since I went back to work and it is going well. Some of my work colleagues have been into work to do bits of work. When this new member of staff started the role I explained that I had been back at work since May and that I had been advised to work from home. 

I received snide comment after comment, where one of the things she said was ‘that’s the problem that you are not in Work’ this was the last straw so I went to HR. I got an apology but only for the comment that was made infront of a witness. 

Moving on from that, I am being micromanaged, hounded with email and unrealistic deadlines. I have flagged it to to the manager above this lady and it seems to be ignored. On Tuesday I had a breakdown in the morning and I emailed the manager above this lady to say I can’t do the training, it is making me feel ill and stressed. I don’t know where to go with this now and could do with some advice. I feel exhausted, anxious and stressed.  Thanks xx