Year after returning to work and still struggling

Hi Ladies

I was diagnosed in August 2017 had surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy and am now on Tamoxifen. I return to work last May as I would be going onto half pay but radiotherapy had only finished 4 weeks before so my GP only let me return on 50% of my hours so 4 mornings .

At the time it was agreed by my line manager that the was no time frame to this and it would take as long as it took which at the time I didn’t think much about the fact that I hadn’t been sent to Occupation Health or that I had no return to work plan as you can imagine I was still all over the place.

It didn’t help that while I had been away the had been a big reorganization and the team I worked in had either been made redundant or left so I was having to get used to new team members and new processing. I hoped this would improve but it just got worst my line manager resigned and 2 of the new team then the new line manager. Not really sure how I got though the summer it’s a bit of a haze.

Sorry this is a bit of a brain dump. Then in September we got line manager number 3 and things started to look up and finally got sent to OH who agreed that 50% was about right at present but was I in for a shock when they got the report as they took it to mean that 50% was all I could ever do and they tried to force me to reduce my condition hours which as I’m the main well only wage earner wasn’t on so I agreed with my GP on a plan to increase over 4 months back up to my hours .and we agreed a work plan as my performance was up to what they would expect.

Well it was hard work and I got very tired but end February and I was back doing 4 full days so thought all was ok. Oh No I hear you cry Yeap end of year review and get a bad marking and as we only get a pay rise of it good I felt really down and felt I was being discriminated against so put in a grievance. But after a meeting with next manager up well more like the Spanish inquersition I felt under pressure to withdraw this.

What they don’t seem to understand is that it’s not just the tiredness and fatigue, I also struggling to concentrate I forget things panic under pressure, which I never did before can’t see if I make mistakes , figures just seem to all jump around on top of that I have developed tendonitis in both ankles and hips ,hot flushes neuropathy all this on top of already having Fibromyalgia. 

I am starting to doubt if I can do this job anymore as it changed so much the new team are all 20+ years younger than me and more on the ball than I feel l will ever be again and we have a new system at the end of the year so not sure how I will learn that too

All this would be so bad if it wasn’t that all my closest friends were the ones who left so feel really alone when I’m at work

Sorry for the long rant just needed to get it all out 

Thanks 

Hi Otter65,

Sorry to hear want you’re going through & do come & rant whenever you need to. 

It’s sod’s law that bc & all that comes with it, came knocking at the same time as all the upheaval at work. 

It is disappointing though, about you’re end of year review & being penalised for something that was beyond your control & then, their response to your grievance. 

Not a lot of help, really & apologies if stating the obvious if you’ve done so already, but others here have found Macmillan helpful on employment issues. 

Wishing you well with it all 

ann x