cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lost job

58 REPLIES 58
jak60

Re: lost job

Will do. Had to cancel my 2 year BC appointment on Monday dont think i am up to that! xx

Mishy18

Pleased you are out the other side the pain is a 💩 but evidence that job is done now rest up take it easy and let everyone run around after you this Christmas and look forward to lots of lovely walks on your new knee xxx
jak60

Hi Mishy,

Thank you for remembering. I got let out early for good behaviour! So am now in my own bed, in a great deal of pain doped up to the eyeballs but moving forwards. hope you get your date soon xx

Mishy18

Jak hi just wanted to wish you well for your surgery rest up afterwards xxx should be getting my date for surgery on Monday xxz
Mishy18

Excuse the typos 😨
Mishy18

Hi jak Helena good to hear you are in the road to recovery H, Jak a surgery date thats good news too once you are healed etc life should definitely improve fir you!!! Im also having surgery waiting for a date need to speak to my neuro surgeon again as i wasn't feeling great at my appointment on Thursday when i was offered the op so going back to see him in a couple weeks surgery date will be given then 😨
I know its got to be done so i think once i know when its happening i will feel better its a decompression and spinal fusion im having wont make anytbing better but it is to stop things declining over time he told me i ciuld be quite disabled by it over time if left so i will need a lend of the big girl pants off my bc buddies!!!!

jak60

I'm glad you are getting through things too! x Jak

ladybowler
Community Champion

Jak

Oh mate I am so pleased for you, this has been a long time coming and YES you are nearly there.  This will finally give you some relief from the pain xx

Funny I was the same when I had my hysterectomy on 9 October, it was 4 days before the second anniversary of having my surgery for bc.

Well make sure you take it easy, keep away from anyone who has a cold etc.,

Sending you loads of hugs

Helena xxx

jak60

Hi Ladies,

How are you all?

Pre-op assessment in the bag 4 1/2 hours being questioned measured xrayed blood tests ECG consent forms etc etc - very thorough. Have decided to give the spinal aneasthetic a go as it means better after op painkillers - that's assuming they can find a suitable place in my degenerated discs to inject. I won't know if Ive half a knee or whole until I wake up. I'm currently resting because I twisted my knee again so that may have some bearing on the damage they find. The other knee is really suffering too.

Any who the best news is - I have a date - 27th November, sooner than I expected so all being well... I have to stay away from anything that might bite, graze or cut me because they won't operate if there is any chance of infection - no shaving! I'm always bumping into things and catching my hands so I'm thinking an Ironman suit? Have started my bag for hospital - so weird to think it's exactly 2 years ago I was doing all this for BC - another new pair of slippers (need to have backs on) new PJs (short ones so I can show off my hairy legs).

xx Jak

Mishy18

Ooh good luck with that Jak fingets crossed although i bet you will feel a tad nervous when you get the date through x
jak60

Hi Mishy,

Glad things are moving along for you. Saw GP yesterday and he suggested I phone consultant's secretary in case my operation date has got lost in post. I'm a bit twitchy now as it could be just around the corner (or not) and I'm not ready!

x Jak

Mishy18

Hi Jak good to hear from you me i. Not too bad had the rest of my investigations re the neck so just waiting to hear back from doc to establish what is going to do, so still no job or anything for me
Its frustrating but needs doing so I will go along with it if necessary im so pleased to hear that your mammo was clear again 👍 and knee school sounds like its helping im with you on pain stuff too im no good on heavy duty drugs paracetamol is my go to tried the others but im no good on them not very tolerant to them
I hope once i have a plan of action i will feel better about it i just hate waiting around it is totally different to the bc stuff isn't it
Take care Jak hope assessment goes well x
jak60

Hi ladies

How are you getting on Mishy?

Helena - I hear you are 'done' hope it all went well and wish you a speedy recovery.

I have my knee replacement pre-op assessment on 24th but no date for operation yet.

Knee school was a lot to take in especially tha spinal anesthetic I didn't know about! AND that it's really going to hurt! Seriously they go to great lenghths to make sure you are fit and prepared for the op and are very keen to discuss what does and doesn't work for you, personally, in pain management (I can only take parecetamol!!). I've been doing the exercises but it is very painful had to have a day off them yesterday as I couldn't straighten my leg. It's all very different from how it was with the BC. Not allowed to do anything that might cause broken skin before the op as any infection will head straight for the foreign body (ie knee part). Have to go to the dentist too. pre op assessment is going to take 3-4 hours and I will be in hospital 3-4 days. I got to hold a knee replacement joint - very heavy and made from titanium (I know like the song!). Been trying to find bionic woman pjs!

I guess I should mention the lymphoedema in my breast.

Cancer-wise my mamo was clear so that's 2 years ticked.

x Jak

PS I WAS the youngest at knee school by the way- couldn't get a word in edgeways!

Mishy18

Hi jak everyone still waiting for op have more definitive scans coming up in next couple of weeks which have invited the anxiety monster in a few times any scans now i get i fear the worst what else they could show if you catch my drift the head scan has had me really worried incase its mets causing the headaches and dizziness even though my logic side is saying its through spine issues but i think everyone is probably the same after bc!! When the surgeon reviews tgem then probably my plan of action will be given!!!! im finding i get fed up and bored at times would rather be spending my redundancy on a luxury holiday rather than living expenses but hey ho it could be a lot worse i could have been finished with no pay out so its taking the worry of struggling away
Re the NI contributions my mam was in a similar position due to retiring early with health issues qnd paid voluntary contributions to cover the short fall to protect her pension hope that helps
Jak hooe knee school is helpful and enjoy being the youngest there 💃👍
ladybowler
Community Champion

Jak

I never thought about that and I have a gateway sign on, doh!!

Oh I love your sense of humour, it will always get you through.  My friend was 45 when she had her knee replacement, they told her that she will probably need to have it done again when she is older so to look after it, she is going to have to have the other one done next year.  This is as a result of playing netball for many years, see sport is not good for you 🙂 🙂

I know it is a pain, but actually with how I have been the last few days it was may be a god send that they cancelled it as I would have been in a right state had they gone ahead, I feel as if someone has kicked me to pieces in the ribs etc., from all the coughing, imagine that with stitches in your stomach, it does not bear thinking about.

xxx

jak60

Hi Corrina,

Have you accessed your account on the government gateway? It's quite easy to do and then you can look at your NI contribution record and it gives the steps to follow. I think it's about £700 and something for a year. That then equates to a lot of pension if your future is bright (hard for any of us to think so but it's the best way!). I am hoping I will be covered by ESA but will be paying it if not as it seems worth it. (I also need a year)

Hi Helena,

I am sorry to see you had your operation cancelled - take it easy and get well soon.

I'm off to 'knee school' next week! My girls have kidded me that my fellow pupils will all be in their dotage as I'm considered to be young for a knee replacement!! Cheeky!

Hi Mishy,

How are things?

xx Jak

ladybowler
Community Champion

Corrina

It might be worth contacting the DWP and asking them about it, you might have to make a one off payment, I have not read it but have a look on the following link and see if is of any help. 

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-national-insurance-contributions/deadlines

Good luck and let us know how you get on as it could be useful for other ladies as well on here.

Helena xxx

Corrina

I struggled with my full time job after having breast cancer. I took voluntary redundancy and took the largest amount lump sum I could from from my private pensiion. I was lucky to be able to do this as the money I recieved will tide me over till I get my state pension in March 2020. However I am a year short of national insurance contributtons so won't be able to get a full state pension. Has anyone else been in this position? And can you buy some to make up for the gap . And does anyone know how to do this and how much would they cost?😀I dont regret leaving my job as had been very stressed an feeling worn out for a long time and relieved now that I can take time out to look after myself more and enjoy life a bit..I know im lucky to have been in the postion to do this but realise im one of the lucky ones as most people can't do this because of finances and I do sympathise .I made the decision to retire early as I know I will be able to get by😀Corrina X
Mishy18

Hi jak and Helena its chucking it down in Newcastle today!! No garden for me today glad you are getting your knee sorted jak im getting my neck done have to have another couple of scanns in the meantime so he can decide on surgery type 😨
Helena its waiting around i find the worst you will be pleased when its done and dusted so to speak and recovering at home
💖 to you all xxx
ladybowler
Community Champion

Jak and MIshy

Just popping in to say hello to the both of you xxx

Jak hopefully it will not b e too long before you have your knee op.

It is lovely here in Birmingham today and I am hoping to get in the garden for a while today to destress after a very busy full on week at work.  The realisation that I am going to be off from next week for a couple of months has finally hit them.

Sending you both hugs

H xx

jak60

Hi Mishy,

Lovely to hear from you - how are things with you? Looking positive I hope? I have had my follow up appointment for MRI on my knee - going 'bionic' but have to wait months again so it's good that I don't have the added stress of feeling guilty about work. The plan is to do a partial replacement but if it looks worse when they operate it will be a full one. Apparently I have to attend 'knee school' pre operation - hilarious terminology! The other knee is starting to go as well so I'm trying to build up the muscles for support - bit difficult when there's pain but needs must. I have my 2nd post op mammogram next week - trying not to be negative. I had a friend visit from work the other day and I found it really difficult: got very wound up about it, silly really but then depression is one of the reasons I am not working anymore. Still suffering with post radiotherapy fatigue but not so often. Cancer-wise I still can't believe it won't happen again. Still, the sun is shining and I have loads of time for my self - tra-la-lah!

xx Jak

Mishy18

Jak thought I'd pop in and say hi hope you are well and you got everything sorted out eventually x
jak60

I will try to remember the date Helena! x
jak60

Oh dear Mishy I'm sure there won't be a problem. Yes I can concentrate on me I'm getting used to the idea of not working and having time (when fit) to get all those things done I've not had time for. I was thinking of drawing my occupational pension but I think that does affect ESA - mind you it may not as I think you can have £85 week and I don't think my pension is anywhere near that especially taking it 3 years early. You may only be 47 but you are right- health first. If you want to work you will find it when ready. x Jak
Mishy18

Helena we are a right old bunch kicked bc backside and plagued with other stuff when i found out the other day what was wrong with ne i was devastated at the prospect of having to deal with another health problem so soon after treatment ended now im like well if i can do all that surely this is doable
Mishy18

Great news Jak really pleased to hear this will take alot of your stress away im officially finished now waiting fir redundancy i also need to ring them as have found out from a recent mri i have some nasty c spine stuff going on from spondolosis its causing neurological symptoms looking like surgery so def a game changer for me no longer able to look for work for hopefully just the forseebble but i don't know till i see neuro hopefully they will take this into consideration as my GP has stated im unable to work with this going on incase of further injury risk fingers crossed i don't really relish not working for the rest of my life im only 47!! I will get bored also need to be sensible though health first
Jak you can now concentrate on you what a weight of your shoulders isn't it yhat you now don't have to worry about it as it was causing you significant stress as was my situation get redundancy next week apparently esa contributions based isn't means tested so redundancy shouldn't affect it but will help massively with housing costs Council tax etc and winter fuel bills it hasn't been bad this summer for that has it ladies but skimping on the heating was annoying last year don't want to this year!!!!
ladybowler
Community Champion

Jak

Isnt it amazing when something happens easier than we thought it would we cant quite believe that is it.

I go in on 18 September.  Will be in hospital for 2/3 days apparently and then off work for 6 weeks 😞

H xxx

jak60

Thanks Jill and Helena
Yes that's right but keep thinking it can't be that straight forward!!
Helena when is your op?
x Jak
ladybowler
Community Champion

Jak

That is fabulous news and such a relief xxx

Just googled the citizens advice and DWP pages relevant to this

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support...

https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/what-youll-get

Looks as if because you are on the support group there is nothing more that you will have to do as far as I can see and it does not mention an assessment.

Helena xxx

Jill1998
Community Champion

That's good Jak ,looks like you have escaped the dreaded health assessment .I still haven't had an outcome from mine.You get £110 a week in the support group so quite a bit more .
jak60

Hi Ladies,

I have had a letter from DWP today saying I've been put in the support group for ESA. I am so relieved. The letter doesn't say how long for, or if I will need an assessment - I assume not. Does mean I get a bit extra money too. Need to get my knee fixed and get through the next mammogram. I hope things are going well with you all?

x Jak

jak60

Thank you for telling me. I hope the outcome is positive for you. It sounds as though we have a similar problem. My depression and anxiety began over 20 years ago after a hysterectomy. Don't forget your physical well being is also upset by your anxiety so it won't help your overall condition. x Jak
Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi Jak -the whole process is very stressful - I have not been out of work for 35 years !!!I
had breast cancer May 2015 ,womb cancer March 2017 -not been able to return to work following hysterectomy due to ongoing physical and mental health fallout .I have anxiety and joint pain on my fit note - but I have written that this is consequence of cancer treatment .Have been diagnosed with panic disorder and PTSD but to be honest it's the physical stuff that is the most debilitating at the moment .The interview was a bit weird - think the woman took pitty in me - she kept me waiting 1.5 hours and as I suffer from anxiety and was in pain I just burst into tears when I went in 🙁.She asked how things affected my day to day life and went through medical history - I will have to wait and see the outcome 🤞

jak60

Thanks Jill. The lady I spoke to did give me the link for sending fit notes but very kind of you to send it. Can I ask how your ESA assessment went? Do you have other conditions as well as cancer? How long since cancer treatment (or is it still happening)? I don't know if you read my previous post - it's been 18 months since I finished treatment but my GP has filled in the cancer page to say depression and fatigue. Plus I am waiting for a knee op. I'm going to phone the surgery tomorrow and if I need to talk to the duty GP I know what I am going to say - just stresses me out!!

x Jak

Jill1998
Community Champion

I'm sure any doctor will be able to do you s fit note from your medical notes .I had ESA assessment last week - applied in April - it's a long process .

Jill1998
Community Champion

Jill1998
Community Champion

Jak - I had same problem with fit notes for ESA - letters arriving requesting fit note by nexf day, note sent through the post taking 2 weeks to get through the system -stressful - I discovered that you can take a picture of fit note on your phone /I pad and upload onto the DWP website - you get a text message to confirm they had received it - much easier

jak60

Hi Mishy,

I'm glad you have come to an arrangement, you can look for those silver linings now! I am now officially retired due to ill health from my old job but still on ESA and still waiting for their decision on which group to put me in. I had a letter reminding me that my fitnote will expire and asking for another one the following day! After a bit of panicking, I phoned and a very nice lady told me  the computer doesn't rationalise these things. So I've got a bit of leeway. Trouble is my GP is on holiday so I will have to ask the duty Dr to  do it so now I'm stressing about that! I have got my appointment through for the knee MRI follow up - 5th Sep - it's a good job I'm not going back to work! Don't know if it's the stress from those two things but I'm feeling quite down and unwell today. We'll be off on holiday in a week so I've got that to look forward to.

Hope you are getting as much rain as we are, the garden is desperate and so are the sheep!

x Jak

Mishy18

Hey ladies a quick update on the work situation had meeting Friday told as i couldn't take the alternative offer of work as i wouldn't be able to physically do it i have had to accept tge redundancy offer they have decided to bring it forward now to enable me to move on they we're worried about the effects on my health by stringing the process out as my lovely doc and counsellor from maggies wrote supporting letters etc on the impact of this all was causing me anxiety and distress which was having a negative effect on my health /recovery i have accepted the offer its not fantastic but its better than nothing never been unemployed in my working life find this difficult to accept but my well-being and health is definitely now a priority for me now x Jak i hope you have managed to get some sorted out x
jak60

Oh dear Mishy! You rant away we are all here for you! I'm beginning to look for silver linings now but it's all scarey and raw. If you get redundancy whilst signed off I don't think it affects contributary ESA unless it is ssp - I might be wrong so check it out. Also have a read of the Equalities Act and see if it's worth waving that at them.

Hi Delly Thanks for your concern. I've finally had my MRI on my knee so am waiting for an appointment to see which operation they will do. Financially we are looking into the effects of my enforced early retirement - providing I don't lose my ESA we can manage by tightening our belts. Once ESA finishes we'll have a rethink.

x Jak

Mishy18

Hi ladies just a quick update had the dreaded phone call today ' unfortunately we cannot offer you anything other than a care worker contract nothing in budget for anything else, would you like to come and do a phased return anyway and take redundancy?!!!! It would probably be good for you and it is easier to find work when your in work'
Well my reply was No its not going to benefit my wellbeing actually when there won't be a job ny October 31st!!
The next statement was' we feel you are not recognising that its across the board for the post not any reflection on you or in any way personal ' well im not thick im well aware its a mass redundacy of a post with an offer of severance if you don't want to take the alternative however im unable to not up to being a carer physically so what choices do i have?!
1 resign and walk away with nothing
2 return on a 12 week phased return to then have to take redundancy and in the process lose my ESA
3 stay on sick leave and then get redundancy
4 be finished on grounds if ill health probably wouldn't be as good a payment aa redundancy
This impending outcome does not come about till end October so in the meantime i have to remain in the limbo sick leave land which quite frankly is making me feel pretty irrelevant and inadequate atm and i still have to remember 'This isn't personal' well it bloody well is to me 🖕
Sorry for the rant ladies but felt like screaming after that call today jak i hope you have got your situation sorted
On a much lighter note hsv5a great weekend everyone im going to de stress in my garden i think x
delly

Hi lovely ladies

I was prompted to chase you up, Jak, from your recent post on the "Progesterone, Fluffy cakes" thread, to see what's going on with you.

Just wanted to say a friendly "Hi" and more importantly to also say, I sincerely hope you and Mishy get your employment issues sorted soon. Jeez, what a horribly tough battle for you' both.

I note too, you've had the lovely Helena's imput and helping. Bless her cotton gusset, she really is a gem.

Fingers crossed, you get your desired results. 

Good luck and love to you

Delly xxxxxx 

Mishy18

Hi jak im lucky in some respects as ive dodged se from tge hormone blockers and chemo was the hard stuf! Which my onc says works very well wuth TN so I have really done everything that could be offered and am NED so hopefully it will stay that way
The chostochindttis was diagnosed at my follow up appointment no scans or anything just examined when describing pain explanation was its rib inflammation apperently very common in ladirs after rads i would ask your bc team if you are concerned about it mind, tganjs for the advice and yeah hope you can get some wages from them they really should pay you off they could address it as you are no longer able to carry out your duties due to knee and post treatment stuff, i think thats where mines headed the company are sneaky holding off with redundancy till the end of November its akl about money to these people xxx
jak60

Hi Mishy,

Surely if you only finished your treatment in January you will be automatically placed in the support group? Because mine was the previous January I think they'll say it's been too long but I'm going to try anyway. Plus I'm filling in the rest of the form re depression and awaiting knee surgery. I didn't expect to be leaving my job but there's only so long they can go with keeping me on. Have you had an occupational health referral? Or a meeting with your human resources person? Presuming you are still signed off they may, like mine not be able to keep you on and offer terms for you to leave - whatever you do don't just resign! The options I have been asked to consider are:1, go back to work (can't) 2, resign (advised not to) 3, ill health retirement (not ill enough) 4, Dismissal ( would mean boss formally dismissing me then I and my representative would have to meet with the board of governors - who could overturn boss's dismissal) and 5, mutual agreement (both parties agree to terminate contract). 4 and 5 will give me 3 months pay plus any holiday accrued but dismissal wouldn't look good on a CV. I don't want to leave.

As you aren't in a union you could try Citizen's Advice or even Macmillan Citizen's Advice here's a link: https://www.macmillan.org.uk/in-your-area/choose-location.html. Type in your postcode and click on benefit  advice service. That will tell you your nearest Mac CA office. I'm sorry you have TN. Mine hadn't spread to the lymph nodes so they said I didn't need Chemo, the radiotherapy was bad enough! How can you tell if you have the rib inflamation? I have had pain in the area below my breast ever since but when I saw a GP (not mine) he said it was nothing. Since they've now diagnosed lymphoedema I put the pain down to that.

Keep smiling x Jak

Mishy18

Triple Negative jak means my cancer had no hormone receptors and its has no other treatment pathways other than surgery chemo and rads and no hormone drugs or injections to help prevent a reoccurrence xx
Mishy18

Jak my counsellor from maggies said more or less the same as yours its absolutely rubbish isn't it, chostochindttis is inflammation of the ribs from the rads!! Very painful at times i got a compression bra and some funny foam pads with bumps to wear in my bra and shown the massage, im not in a union wish I was, the Esa i qualified with the form i have it till November when they will review me ironically a month after my redundancy, im between a rock and a hard shoulder with this one i can't see why they are waiting me wait so long if they want rid of me i found the form really demoralising made me feel really useless but at the moment i need money like you i have no wages since December that was only ever ssp my family think they might be hoping I'll get sick and hand in my notice! I would be happy just to have my job but i ain't leaving without anything
Im really annoyed they had given me all this extra stress and worry after everything i have been through Cancer is no joke and the treatment is bloody hard going especially if you have some complications but we are just a name and number and the end of the day!! My manager has been lovely and is furious byt she can't do anything about it xx
Just fill in the form as if you are having your worst day thats what i was told to do good luck Jak
jak60

Hi Mishy,

No not TN but I was unable to carry on with Anastrozole which (if you don't know - some don't) is the aromatase inhibitor given to stop oestrogen production post menopausal. I don't know much about TN, what does it mean for you in terms of treatment? And what on earth is chostochindttis? I have already asked one of my BC consultants about filling in the form - she felt my GP would be best as he knows me better. I've written him a letter asking if he can consider it. I've also been messaging a guy called Tom who helps with benefits on the Maggies website. He's been brilliant and directed me to a local Macmillan Citizen's Advice centre, who I've contacted - they also thought my GP would be best and have offered to help with the rest of the form. It's for beyond the sick note stage when you've had all your SSP and need to claim benefit. I too have breast lymphoedema but they don't seem too worried about it just said massage it towards lymph nodes. You are early days in your journey compared to me. Do you know that we are covered by the Equalities Act which may be worth looking at if they are trying to change your contract. Having said that the E Act didn't actually help me in the end! Can I ask are you able to talk to a union rep? I have used my rep as a sounding board to make sure I proceed in the best way for me. Maggies 'Tom benefits' is also good for showing you what you may be entitled to. The new counsellor I met today got it just right - you're stuck we need to work on making things right for YOU. She's right because every time I try to move on another trauma gets in the way.

Hi Helena - I think i wrote you a message about having a hystericallectomy on progesterone fluffy stuff. Why hysterical you may ask - it's because of the amount of wind you will be producing!!

x Jak

ladybowler
Community Champion

Jak

Not sure which one was it one, I will go and have a look xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Mishy

Thanks for that xx Yep will hopefully be able to take it all in my stride xx

Mishy18

Just a suggestion would your onc be more helpful re the sicknote thing and if you are working with anyone eg counselling at local Cancer Centre they could help you too, im suspecting your are TN if you have nothing to take as that is the case with me also good luck with everything Jak xx