Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time posting on this section

30 REPLIES 30
Tulips

Re: First time posting on this section

Hiya,

Are you having to decide on surgery? Such a daunting time. I had held it together until I had to make these choices.

I contacted some people through Someone Like Me so ask their experiences and also had some useful advice from a reconstruction nurse on immediate v delayed and slso if you go on KeepingAbreast there is more info. I also joined Flat Friends on facebook which is people living either flat or with one breast.

In the end I decided on no reconstruction immediately for various reasons.

More than happy to chat more with you. 

I am 6 weeks post surgery so still early days but happy with my decision so far.

Xx

julieluli79

Hello. Did you ever find anyone? I am looking for the same sort of support.

emarveling

I’ve found it a lot easier to adapt than I thought I would. 
I was under the assumption that if you didn’t have reconstruction you wouldn’t need to wear a bra but you definitely need a bra at first to help put pressure on the wound and help with swelling, I’m 7 weeks post surgery now and still need to keep pressure there to prevent swelling. 
It is very strange trying to make yourself look somewhat symmetrical before leave the house and is getting harder now that I can’t hide behind baggy jumpers. I do get self-conscious thinking that everyone is looking at my wonky boobs.  

Tulips

Hi, 

I've just been diagnosed and awaiting my mastectomy date.

How have you found adapting to 1 breast? 

Thanks 

Tulips

Hi, 

I've also just been diagnosed with invasive breast cancer. MRI indicated I need a full mastectomy (along with the sentinel lymph node). Have decided against immediate reconstruction (such a hard decision at a time of heightened emotions).

Awaiting date now for surgery. Covid definitely making it more tricky.

Guessing you've had your surgery now? How has it been?

Hope213

Hi Bex27,

wishing you all the best for your surgery on Tuesday. I’m so pleased to hear my posts have been helpful to you. Think positive thoughts and try not to worry as you will be so well looked after in hospital.

So I was originally told I would have radiotherapy after surgery due to having 3 grade 3 tumours (but stage 1). However after surgery I met with the radiotherapy consultant who explained after a mastectomy ladies don’t often need radiotherapy and this is usually for ladies who have had lumpectomys. There are however some exceptions and these are often for multiple tumours and grade 3 tumours. But he said my tumours within the breast tissue removed had clear margins so combined with the risk to implant, heart and lung health he decided it was a not in my best interests to have radiotherapy. So this maybe the case for you. My breast cancer was found to be highly oestrogen positive (8/8) so my main treatment is now hormone therapy - Zoladex, Tamoxifen (moving to Letrozole at some point) and bisphosphonates. 

Regarding recovery from surgery I don’t have any muscle tightness or restrictions when using that side. I do have a little bit of rippling within the implant but it doesn’t worry me. I just want things to look ok with my clothes on 🙂 The scar is doing well too. I’ve been using bio oil. Sleeping is better now. At first I only slept on my back but I can now sleep on either side. Before starting hormone therapy my energy levels were almost back to normal, so I felt recovery from surgery has been fairly quick.

I hope this helps. If I can help in any other way do let me know. Feel free to private message me too if that is easier.

Sending you many positive vibes.

x

Bex27

Dear Hope213,

I am going in for my mastectomy with immediate implant reconstruction on Tuesday and am feeling quite nervous but it sounds like we have had very similar journeys so your post is helping to calm me down a bit! How have you found the radiotherapy so far and did it affect your implant? I'm not sure I need radio yet but am a bit worried about the radio+implant combo as I have heard that it can turn it funny. It's great to hear that you were already well-recovered in December from your surgery - how are you doing 3 months further along? 

Warmest wishes,

Bex

pips88

@Sarahs @How are you getting on? Been a while since we updated. 

Ive had my surgery now and seeing oncology on Monday for chemo plan. 

Hope everyone is well 

pips xx

Gillyflower
Community Champion

Hi Sarah and everyone else on this thread 😊

You aren't alone.  I was diagnosed in 2018 at the age of 38 so I empathise with being younger and getting your head around it all.  I'm 40 now.  I had no family history of breast cancer either.

Being so much younger and dealing with breast cancer comes with its own unique set of worries, anxieties and fraught emotions.  I had real issues when it came to going back to work but in the end it all went fine.

I went through all the treatments as well (chemo, then full left mastectomy, no reconstruction, lymph node clearance and radiotherapy) so I appreciate how scary and traumatic all of this is.  Happy to share my experience and offer support.

Sending lots of love and hugs to everyone here xxx

emarveling

@pips88 I’ve been told the 9th of Feb at the local private hospital so should definitely be on. Also free upgrade 😁

Sarahs

Hi there scans weren't too bad thanks, got to see him Friday, appointment came through today 🙄 x

pips88

@Sarahs 

let us know how you get on hun xx

Sarahs

I think it's Thursday x

pips88

Ugh no!

You definitely deserve to do wine, food and crying.

How awful for you. I hope your ok hun. Did they give you any indication of a time frame or alternative ? 

@Sarahs hope your scan goes well today! What day are you with the oncologist next week? 

Sarahs

Oh no I am so sorry to hear that hugs to you,xx

Hope213

Oh know, I really feel for you... such a shame. I really hope you won’t have to wait for too much longer. Sending you lots of hugs and much positivity.  Xxx

emarveling

Surgery has been cancelled again so I’m just going to send the kids to their room, order takeout, crack open a bottle of wine and cry on the settee. 

Sarahs

Hi so so, having a body scan Wednesday so a bit anxious about that, trying to stay positive got oncologist next week as well so a lot all in a week, hope your op goes well take care xx

joannajackson1

Nope, no family history of any cancers ! Just my pure luck! I have had a genetic test, due back in 6 weeks but even the doctor told

me to not expect much back from it. 
Good luck with your pre op, there’s nothing to worry about. Just bloods, blood pressure and general health questions. I panicked before mine and then realised it was nothing to actually worry about ! 
xx

pips88

Hi @Sarahs

how you doing hun? Same goes for me! Im always having a browse through, especially late at night. For some reason I struggle sleeping at the minute, I wonder why lol. 

Whats new with you? Hope your well! 

I’ve got my pre op this afternoon. Booked in for a therapeutic mammoplasty and sentinel lymph biopsy on the 28th jan. Glad to get moving now! 

@bookish thats amazing to hear! Thank you for sharing. Hope your well! 

@emarveling ugh Friday 13th! I bet the lead up to every fri 13th from now on you’ll get terrible jokes from family and friends warning you to stay away from hospitals etc lol. How’s the hormone therapy going? Hope your well! 

@joannajackson1 hi Hun. Feels cruel doesn’t it. Have you got family history of bc? 

Really glad to hear your lymph nodes are clear! Not long to wait for your results now. I hate all this waiting! Hope your well ! 

Sarahs

Hi just wanted to reply and say hello Im 39 so If anyone ever wants to chat I'm always checking messages and wanting to support in what ever way I can, stay strong and safe x

joannajackson1

Hi Pip and everyone else on this thread, 

I am here to connect with others my age too. I’m struggling with understanding how this happened to me as such a young age - I’m 29.
I was diagnosed with ER+ BC on the 4th Dec and had the lump removed on the 22nd and another surgery to take more margin (removal of my nipple) on the 12th jan. lympth nodes all clear though so I’m grateful for that. Just awaiting the results from my second surgery which I’m getting on the 22nd jan, then hopefully we can agree on a treatment plan 
It’s comforting to know there are people on here who know how you feel. 
If anybody wants to chat, I check this ite regularly 🙂 

All the best 🙂 

emarveling

Hi,

I’m 35, waiting for a mastectomy but COVID is making it difficult.

I got my diagnosis on Friday the 13th of November! I should known better than to go to the hospital on Friday the 13th 2020 🤣

At the start they thought that I would just need a lumpectomy but the mammogram showed calcium spots and tests didn’t look good so now I’m having a full mastectomy on my left side. Surgery was supposed to be on Friday but has been postponed until the 26th, really praying that doesn’t get canceled. 

Due to all the delays I’ve started on hormone therapy, so far no side effects or signs of the menopause! 

Hope you are keeping well.

Sarahs

Hi pip, 

Thanks for your message, sorry to hear about your recent diagnosis, I am also er positive so if you want to chat please feel free to hugs to you xxx

bookish

Hi Sarahs

I'm a little over 40 now, but I had my first BC at 22. It does feel so much like a disease that affects older women, the younger you are the more of a shock I think! But yeah, 20 years on, still here, still kicking!

pips88

Hi, 

Im 32 and was diagnosed with a grade 3 invasive ductal carcinoma, 22nd December. 

It’s been a bit of a crazy week. Initially the consultant reassured me it was a Fibroadenoma, so when I was told it was cancer on Tuesday, I was knocked sideways. I used to think I was too old, now I feel too young lol. 

Still waiting for a CT and MRI and hr2 receptors but we now know it’s PR+ and ER+ so I’m on the hunt for a non hormone based contraceptive. We don’t have or want children.

Anyways, I’m here and hope to connect with others !

Pip x

Sarahs

Hope213

Hello,

I was diagnosed in October. I had seen the GP with 1 lump high up in my chest area. After several mammograms, biopsy’s and a breast MRI scan I was found to have 3 tumours. I had a mastectomy in November with immediate implant reconstruction and a sentinel lymph node biopsy as 1 of the tumours was very near my lymph nodes. I got the results a couple of weeks ago to say that luckily for me the cancer hadn’t spread to my lymph nodes. But they found the cancer was fast growing so although I have been told it’s was in its early stages (stage 1) I have been given a grade 3. I am now waiting for the results of the Oncotype DX test to establish whether I will benefit from chemo. I know I also need radiotherapy. My cancer is oestrogen positive so I will have hormone therapy too. It’s been a roller coaster of emotions and a total shock. My consultant has been amazing and told me many times that I did well finding the lump. I guess it’s a concern as at our age we don’t get routine mammograms, however I understand why  - because breast tissue is more dense below the age of 50 so it’s really hard to detect changes using mammograms alone. One of my tumours wasn’t detected on the ultrasound as well as on the mammogram. However on a positive I feel I am recovering well from my surgery and I have managed a 4 mile walk today 🙂

How is your journey going? One thing I have learnt from all this is that there are so many different paths you can end up taking.

Take care, x

Sarahs

Hi thank you for replying, would be nice to hear how you are getting on in your journey if you don't mind, wishing you a lovely Christmas as well to you xx

Hope213

Hello,

I was 43 in August and I was diagnosed with breast cancer stage 1, grade 3 in October. I know I’m not under 40 but I still feel like I am 🙂 

Wishing you a lovely Christmas 

x

Sarahs

First time posting on this section

Hi

Just thought I'd post and ask is there any one here under 40? I am 39 and wondered if anyone the same age is in here would be nice to connect with someone around my age group although everyone I've spoke to so far I this website is fantastic looking forward to hearing from you