Anyone out there in their 20s going through it?

When I was 19, three years ago, I was diagnosed with breast cancer, and one of the processes to cure me was a single mastectomy on the affected breast, leaving me with only one boob. Because of my situation they couldn’t reonstruct.
I feel very alone being the only person that I know and that I’ve ever seen on my 20s missing half my chest. I wonder if there’s pthers like me out there and where are you people hiding. I wish there was a subreddit or a forum or something for people in my circumstance. Mastectomies are bad at all ages, but I feel like I’ve been stripped from part of my youth too.

Just wondering if you girls are out there.
Good luck and best wishes to everyone!

Hi Mindorin,

That certainly is very young to be diagnosed, but not unheard of.  I was in my 30s when I was diagnosed many years ago, and that was classed as very young too.  I was mostly the youngest in the clinic.  Anyway, just to say that I had a mastectomy and wasn’t allowed reconstruction for quite a while after, in order to ensure nothing came back.  I also had a mastectomy and reconstruction of the good side, as preventative surgery.  I am now married, and it doesn’t bother my husband one bit . He was with me for the reconstruction of the bad side.  I haven’t had my nipples made or tattoed either.  Neither of  us are bothered about that.  Good luck with it all xx

Hi Mindorin 

I was diagnosed at age 29 and was always the youngest person in the waiting room so I can only imagine what it would have been like for you at 19! It’s difficult as although a breast cancer diagnosis at any age is incredibly difficult when you’re in your twenties the issues you face are different to those older women experience. It can be very lonely and isolating. 

I was fortunate that I had chemo first so I only have to have a lumpectomy. However because of where my tumour was it has altered my breast a lot and this is something I’ve found hard to accept. 

I just wanted to let you know that you’re not alone. There are women out there in their twenties, thirties and beyond that will understand totally where you are coming from. 

Best wishes

Hi there!

Im so sorry about how young you were at time of diagnosis

I was diagnosed last year (2022) at the age of 24. I had a right mastectomy in May 2022 but in November had my left removed also! 

And like you’ve said I dont really know of anyone or speak to anyone the same age about this although I have found creators on tiktok sharing their experiences so helpful. Some of similar ages but in different countries. 

But there are many like us out there its just finding them! So just Remember you are not alone! 

Wishing you all the best and if you ever need to talk my ears are open! 

Im currently 3 months post chemo and nearly 2 months post left mastectomy & lymphnode clearance. Just awaiting radiotherapy now!

I hope where-ever you are on your journey you are doing well! Sending love and postive energy :two_hearts:

It’s very sad that you are going through this. I am sorry to hear you haven’t met anyone who has been in the same situation at such an early age. I thought I was young when I started getting pain in my 30s and then found a lump at aged 47. It worried me a lot, it was first diagnosed as a benign growth called a fibroadenoma. Then when I managed to get them to operate to take it out it turned out to be a rare kind of cancer which made me incredibly anxious. I had a partial mastectomy at 48, then radiotherapy. I have recently been diagnosed with breast cancer at 67 a new kind but in the same breast. So I had a mastectomy and reconstruction.

But I have found it’s no easier for me to grasp than in the past, as treatment has changed a lot in 19 years and I feel as worried as ever. There’s nothing about cancer which makes me feel joy. But I do find some inspiration in the way other people keep on going. There’s not much choice really, but I take some comfort from the fact that all treatments now are based on the best world wide evidence and there are now UK national guidelines which make sure everyone gets the best possible service based on clinical evidence, not the whims of individual doctors or surgeons. These are set by NICE, The National Institute of Clinical Excellence, and can be downloaded from the internet if you don’t mind reading a lot of paper…