Booked a place on the Younger Women’s Together event in Newcastle but worried about going alone?

Hello

Every year we receive queries from women, including concerns about coming along to the event on their own. Feedback from previous events has said how helpful it was to talk before the event.

This thread is a chance for you to say hello and “meet” others attending the Younger Women Together. I will check in regularly and if you have any questions do let me know and I will do my best to answer them.

Look forward to meeting you all next week.

Steph

Hello I live in Sunderland so I will be traveling from there if anyone fancies travelling up with me or meeting for a coffee x

Hello ladies,
I’m coming from Stockton on Tees and looking forward to meeting you all next week.
Debbie xx

Hey ladies!
I’m Kirstie travelling across next week from Carlisle. Looking forward to meeting you all! Xx

Hello, I’m Nadeen & I am 45. Diagnosed with lobular breast cancer may 2017, although went to consultant in January to be told it was fatty tissue, come May it was 2 tumours joined together & 13 cms in length. Mastectomy was on the cards & 2 weeks later my left breast was gone. I always complained about my 34GG boobs but oh I never expected this. Went back in 2 weeks later for an auxiliary lymph node removal. 6 rounds of FEC-T followed, what a trial, admitted 3 times to hosputal for neutropenic sepsis, only now do I realise how poorly I was then. A cheeky week in Los Christianos was perfect before I started my 15 rounds of radiotherapy, that was a walk in the park compared to chemotherapy. I had 2 wigs but reached a point where they were too hot & my beanie hats from TK MAXX were my favourite accessories. My nails really suffered, a build up of dry nails looked like ridges & all I could do was moisturize & wait for them to peel to show the new nails. I had an awful docetaxol burn too from my treatment, so pleased its gone now. This all seems like so long ago but really its not. I went back to my job as a nursery practitioner in March on phased hours & got back to my 29hrs in June. I gave lits of check ups & recently had a 6 month MRI & mammogram, I feel good but need these results to reassure me. Second meeting with the breast surgeon on 25th September so wish me luck, new boobie from my tummy ?. My relationship has took a nosedive with my husband, intimacy has gone, he struggles with what I have been through. Me being the stronger of the 2 of us, he gets upset at my scar & remembers when I was so poorly. He has now seen his doctor so hopefully we’ll get back on track. No way was I going to let cancer ruin a 25 year marriage & a family of 19 years. The road is long if never-ending I think but wow it gas given me a fresh pair of eyes. I’ve always been a grateful person but life is even more beautiful now. Since may 2017 I have said goodbye to 4 friends to cancer & another 4 friends who have been diagnosed. Now I mentor my friends, it’s good to talk & share our journeys. So looking forward to all aspects of the weekend coyrse ?

Sorry I forgot to say, I’m from Stanley xx

Hi,
I’m Kim from Sunderland.
I can relate to a lot of what you have said there nadeen.
Looking forward to meeting you all next week, although coming along is really pushing me out of my comfort zone, but I guess we are all in the same boat!
Bye for now x

Hi there.  I’m Andrea from Aycliffe Village, near Darlington if anyone is travelling from here, just give me a shout.  

I was in too minds whether to come or not.  Wanted to try and draw a line under it all but didn’t realise how hard that would be when you finish your treatment.  Think it will be great to meet people who understand and get how I feel.  

Look forward to meeting you all next week.

Andrea

I completely understand how you ladies are feeling apprehensive about going there because I am too, I will be getting the train there and back from Stockton as I don’t drive so quite nervous myself, haha! Really looking forward to meeting you all though, I’ve met some fantastic ladies already throughout my cancer journey and I was diagnosed February 2016.
Debbie xx

Hello to everyone, my name is Irene, I am currently receiving FEC-T Chemotherapy which I must say I am finding soo difficult ? I am poorly most of the time. I am really nervous about coming to this event, I haven’t really went along to any of my support groups due to not being well enough. I am soo looking forward to meeting ladies just like myself and just talking and giving each other support and sharing our journeys. I am 42 years old, married with 4 children and my youngest is 5 years old. I was diagnosed with breast cancer April this year with invasive ductal cancer which spread to my lymph nodes. I am receiving adjuvant chemotherapy with thankfully one session left in October before I received my radiotherapy.
See you all soon Irene xx

Lovely to start hearing some of your stories. Don’t be worried anyone… it is quite daunting I’ll admit but a lovely way to meet some new friends and help each other with each of our experiences ?. I’m still pretty early with my treatment after being diagnosed in June, with only being 26, I was offered fertility treatment as a precautionary measure before chemo (wasn’t too successfull unfortunately) so that held chemo back slightly…I’ve Just received round 4 yesterday! But for me that has marked the half way point! 8 in total followed my hercetin injections and radiotherapy. Anyway… looking forward to meeting you all Friday.
Kirstie
Xx

Morning all!
I am Charlotte, and I’m 40… diagnosed with Bc in May this year, currently going through chemo and waiting on a surgery date for a mastectomy.
Looking forward to the workshop, but a little nervous, and also feeling pretty ropey after my last chemo, so hoping I’ll be well enough to contribute.
Looking forward to meeting you all :slight_smile:
Xx

Hi all!
I’m looking forward to tomorrow morning (just past midnight now) and I’ve packed my bag. I’m definitely nervous about coming, I’m not even sure why as it’s not like a job interview or an exam!
So, I’m 30, I was diagnosed in May 2018 and started neoadjuvant chemotherapy shortly after. I’ve had 5 rounds out of 8 and can relate to a lot of what you have already said! It’s not nice. Hopefully we can share stories and tips
See you all in the morning!

Good morning ladies,
I’m on the train on route now, feeling quite nervous but also excited to meet you all, hope you all can make it!!
Debbie xx