Diep surgery

Hi- just looking to speak to someone who has had the diep surgery. I am swaying towards this option as I want both breasts to feel as natural as possible after surgery but would like some info on recovery. I will have to have other reduced also.Ive 3 kids and just bit concerned as to how much time until things get back to normal. Thanks

Hi Sineadg1978,

Thank you for your post and I am sure some of our users will be along to share their experiences and show their support soon.Ā 

In the meantime you can always post on a busier part of the forum such as the Surgery board orĀ call our helpline on 0808 800 6000, who will be able to talk you through any questions you have and offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below:

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday, 9am-7pm
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes,Ā 

BonitaĀ 

Hi Sinead

Ā 

i havenā€™t had the diep but am waiting for double mastectomy with immediate diep recon.

Ā 

i have been advised that recovery is quite tough at first with a double no lifting more than a kettle for a while.

i also think 3 to six months for you to be going back to work according to my surgeon depending on your job.

its a big operation about 10 to 12 hours so not a walk in the park but from the people I have seen with this recon I think itā€™s definitely worth it for me anyway.Ā 

Ā 

Hope things go well for youĀ 

SL

Hi Sineadg, I had a diep and a reduction on the other breast on the 18 January. Ā Almost 7 weeks on and I feel great, I can go for a walk now lasting about 90 mins and walking at a normal pace. Ā Whilst the first week after the op was hard I am so pleased I had it done. Ā I now feel ready to drive again, the only thing Iā€™m not up to is housework and ironing!! Ā Everyone heals differently, I was told I would be pottering around after 8 weeks and back to normal after 3 months. Ā Well I was pottering before 8 weeks and though not back to normal yet, I donā€™t feel far off. Ā If you look at the DCIS part of the forum and the posts ā€œDCIS confusing informationā€ youā€™ll be able to read posts by me and 2 other women who have all had dieps recently and we are all delighted with the results.Ā Good luck with your decision.Ā 

Thanks for the replyā€¦im so glad all has went well for you and hasnt been too tough for you. Im really drawn towards this option as im only 38 (with large breasts at min) and im hoping it will give me closest to natural breast as poss. Hard deciding on reconstructionā€¦need to just get ball rolling before i change my mind xx

Hi, I had the LDF I think you call it ? (Using the muscle from my back, and an expander implant). Really happy with the results. Hope all goes well.

Thanks for the reply. Yea seems recovery is tough but im just hoping It will give the best outcome. I suppose it all depends on what happens on the day. Good luck with your op and let me know how it goes xx

Glad your op has went well. So hard making the decisionā€¦none if them seem straight forward. Seeing surgeon on fri so will know better then. So much info to take in! Xx

Thanks Becca. I am meeting with surgeon within next 2 weeks. Totally think ive made right decision. Hopefully scars will fade in time but if left with as normal looking breasts as poss then il be happy too. Good luck with everything x

Helloā€¦I had DIEP surgery on 20th January on my right side. I was terrified about having the operation but knew that it was the best option for me. Iā€™m now just over 7 weeks post surgery and recovering at home. Iā€™m really glad I had this operation but it does take a long time to recover to your full potential. Iā€™ve had a small infection and a rash which was annoying! Hope everything goes well for you.

Hi there I had diep surgery on may 1st. Left side only. The week after the Op was hard physically but I was told by others that had been through the same thing how quickly I would progress after thatā€¦ three months on I am back at work and am driving again. I have felt so much better than I envisaged and even managed to go to Russia for the world cup. I am wearing my normal clothes although my tummy remains a little swollen. I am not sure how old your children are but you will have to take it easy, especially for the first six weeks in terms of heavy lifting and housework. If you would like more detail in terms of the Op and the physical and mental effects please feel free to pm me. It is a horrible thing to have to contemplate but I would say the results are fab and it really is worth it. Take care and good luck with your decision. Kathryn x

I had DIEP flap reconstruction in April 2018 - best decision I ever made. If you are still undecided I created a photo book of ā€˜my journeyā€™ /recovery to help other women, because I didnā€™t think there was much out there. So many of my friends have told me they wouldnā€™t had known I had anything done. The results are fantastic, my new boob is amazing and even though the first 2 weeks were hard, Iā€™d go through it again tomorrow. I was back in work after 3 months x

I had left mastectomy and DIEP in December and would highly recommend it, however, a few points to note. I have to warn you, this may be a little insensitive and graphic to some but Iā€™m a direct person and donā€™t make anything pink and fluffy!

1 - You will get a new belly button as well as a new boob if it all works. It may not look anything like your old one, or feel like it, but it will be new.

2 - Youā€™ll have very little feeling from mid rib cage down to your pubic bone for a while. Iā€™m now 8 months in and still have no feeling there. Iā€™ve been informed it may never come back.

3 - The new tissue on your breast needs a lot of moisturising. Mine is considerably drier than my right breast.

4 - I had complications with my tummy wound. It just did not want to heal. I now have 2 gouges that look like an icecream scoop has gone in there and the tissue is really thick.Ā 

5 - 8 months on I still look like Hannibal Lector has sawn me in two and a nice surgeon has stitched me back up. I have 2 pokes at either side and swelling where my body looks like it has been set on top of my legs and pegged together. I donā€™t match.Ā 

6 - My scar does not sit in my pants, itā€™s above it. It means wearing granny pants all the time if you want to support the loose pouches of skin and swelling. Lace makes it itch! Wave cheerio to the sexy undies.

7 - I get sharp stabbing pains in my new boob all the time.Ā 

8 - 8 months in and Iā€™m still wearing post surgery bras which are not attractive. Underwired bras are painful!Ā 

Ā 

All that aside, Iā€™d still recommend the surgery and Iā€™d do it again in a heartbeat - my cancer is gone and I have a very active lifestyle which I can still maintain. Iā€™ve made a good recovery. From the outside, noone would know my journey which is the way I like it.Ā  Make sure you can cope with the aesthetics of the DIEP. Itā€™s massive and my body is now a surgeons masterpiece with the scars I have.Ā 

1 Like

Hi Iā€™ve tagged on to ypur post as I am also in the same position xc