Grade 3 Will I need Chemo?

Hi,

Just looking for info on other peoples treatment.  I’m 39, I’ve just had 2nd surgery to remove 8mm IDC as the margins aren’t clear - hopefully will be now.  It is grade 3 but luckily no lymph nodes involved (3 removed in SNB).

My consultant says I won’t need chemo as there were no lymph nodes with cancer in them, but I’ve been reading some things that in younger women with grade 3, oncologist may suggest chemo?  

Anyone else with similar - would love to hear your story/treatment.

thanks xx

Hi EM39,

Thank you for your message and apologies that you haven’t received a reply yet. You might like to get in touch with our breast care nurses on our free Helpline, 0808 800 6000, about any concerns or questions you may have. Our Helpline is open Monday to Friday 9am to 4pm and Saturday 9am to 1pm.

Wishing you all the very best,

Bernadette 

Hi. I’ve just turned 39 and started my journey in January. Thankfully I only needed one surgery to get margins clear. My tumour was a grade three (invasive) and they only deened it stage 2 due to the tumors being 22mm in size. 

There was never a discussion that didnt involve chemo. I knew from the original diagnosis even though my lymph gland are clear.  Hope this helps the journey ahead may gave a few bumps in the road buy strength gets you over them and carry one. Xx

Have you asked about an oncotype test?

Hi EM39,

As Rachel suggests it worth asking for an oncotype test if they recommend chemo - to see how well chemo would work.

Re Mum-of-twins message, I was diagnosed with a solid round 26mm invasive ductal carcinoma, oestrogen positive (hence hormone therapy could be prescribed), bc lump, plus patch of DCIS found within the margin (but between lump, skin and air side)! 3 nodes removed via SNB no signs. Considered stage 2 (and grade 2). It was 6 years ago, before the oncotype text was available in the UK when I was in my early 40’s.

I was told I was borderline chemo, but chemo was not recommended (re oncologists weighing up side effects v risk level of type/stage of bc). I do have hypothyroidism which was mentioned in the header of every bc hospital letter I have ever received, so it’s possible that may have entered the equation too. 

Do you have long to wait until your next appointment with your oncologist? If you do, you might find it helpful to ring your breast care nurse at your hospital and ask if chemo is likely to be recommended for someone with your diagnosis and perhaps follow up with a call to BCN.

I know it’s unsettling when you are awaiting to hear the full details of your treatment plan and hope you get clarity soon.

Seabreeze