72.7K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How did you find your lump/symptoms?

ragamuffin

Re: How did you find your lump/symptoms?

Found on routine mammogram when I was 63. No symptons at all and not able to be felt by anyone- even all the experts. Spread to 5 nodes found. WLE chemo and rads.

Guest user
Not applicable

I had implants and felt a small lump above my nipple, didn't think anything of it but it grew and felt quite hot so went to my gp, she said didn't think anything to worry about but referred me just in case.

No other symptoms apart from lump, however any twinge, ache pain etc now I think the worst!

Thank god she did refer me 😞

Xx

tors

Hi Pat, sorry i missed your post. I hope your op went well xxx

do any newer forum members fancy adding to the thread? Feel free to do so.

Vickie
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all,

Had a mammagram about 3 years ago showed i had calcification with a large blob, blood discharge ozing from nipple, i saw my own xray, yes i was worried mention to the doc told me not to worry about it, nothing more was done.

trying on new clothes month ago notice stain there it was blood tried to pluck up courage to go to doc, where she examined me asked me was i aware that i had a large mass lump on side of my breast.

I examined my breast the way we are told many times did not feel any lump it was only felt by using a walking finger examination as it is deep in breast tissue now i have lumpectomy arranged for 13oct.

I ask myself was this what was seen the first time as i feel it has spread hopefully i am wrong, i have so many lumps finally a biopsy is going to be done tomorrow on muscle on my back doc said because of
outcome of suspicious cells in breast.when you are wrong side of 60 a wait and see attitude is coming into force.

thinking of you all Pat

Lulu34

The early screening criteria is that if one first degree relative was diagnosed under 40 then daughters and sisters would be able to have early screening from 40 in some areas it's 35 or very occasionally from 30... Normally 5 years younger than the affected person but they do not do screening mammos under 30. If you have two affected with bc under 60 or 3 or more at any age or ovarian at any age who are blood relations of each other then again screening would be offered at 40. But it's up to the individual to ask for a referral it's not an automatic thing.

If just one individual is affected by breast cancer over 40 then not a significant increased risk..., however screening in England has already come down to 47 and over the next 20 years or so it might come down some more by the time your daughters are in their 30s and 40s.

Lulu xx

Blessing

Sunflower16,
My daughter just 12 now. I was told at DX that because I was pre 50 my daughter should start screening 5 years before my start age, ie 39/40years. Seems a bit abitary to me... wonder whaat the thinking is on this.
You are so right re screening from much earlier.... 7 girls in my gang from being at uni together. Lived in each others pockets, God parents to each others kids etc etc. 3 of us diagnosed within 3.5 years.... 2 breast and 1 bowel cancer, 41 to 45 years. Only me left now.... c**p! We miss them dreadfully...........
Blessing

Guest user
Not applicable

I was called up for early screening not 50 yet, went along and that was that! Thank heavens for early screening, but why oh why aren't we all screened as a matter of routine? I want my daughter screened now I have a feeling I may have a battle on my hands 😞

karen

Had an ache under right arm pushed it a little then did same with left side where I found a small lump...went to drs...he said to go back in a month as he thought 'hormonal' (I'd had a hysterectomy at 39 but had retained my ovaries so had no 'cycle')...went back GP still said 'hormonal' even though there is family history of BC...I continued to mention lump to him for 18mths before he referred me...dx with BC at 43...grade 3.

Blessing

Dimpling skin when I lifted my arms to dry my hair....no lump I could feel (1.8 by chest wall, 0.6 closeby. Waited to have a period to see if it changed...no. Went to GP,"Do you want to be referred?", "Yes please" said I. Seen 8 weeks later... grade 1 multi focal dc.
Ballsed up histology, jumped surgeon. Down for MX and full clearance with 1st surgeon. Ended up with sent biopsy: 4/4 negative, WLE and 3mm clearance. 45 and no family history.
4 years on, mamos tomorrow for annual check... down for LD flap tidy up on 12th.
Keep everything crossed girls
Blessing.

annew272

I noticed a strange area in the shower and on further investigation found what felt like a huge lump at the time, saw GP next mourning and was diagnosed exactly 2 weeks later. I checked occasionally in the shower, but not often enough and was only 45 so too young for screening.

WLE and SNB on 2nd August and thankfully no node involvement so will be restarting rads when my current infection and wound clears

Anne

Guest user
Not applicable

I was breastfeeding my youngest son who was 5 months at the time, this was just before christmas 2009, whilst he was feeding I could feel a 'dragging' sensation in my left breast. I put my hand to where the lump was, it was about the size of a 50p piece in dia, but thought that it was just a blocked duct due to the breastfeeding and tried massaging it to relieve the blockage. I checked on the internet where it said that bc whilst breastfeeding was rare so I ruled it out and continued with the massaging until the following July when I decided that enough was enough and I needed to get it sorted whilst still ruling out bc.

Went to breast clinic at hospital at the end of July, mammogram, ultrasound and core biopsy done on the day, surgeon told me I have a benign lump that had to come out, still in denial about bc. Dx beginning of August was totally shocked, I was 39 just weeks off my 40th. Surgeon did SN biopsy a week or so later then in Sept 2010 I had my mx with reconstruction, just before I went for my surgery I was told that my nodes were clear and that it hadn't spread. Reconstruction didn't work and had to have implant removed 6 weeks later. I mourned the loss of my breast for a long time but I'm in a much better place now, things could have been so much worse, i have so much to be grateful for and 4 beautiful children to stick around for and I'll be doing it proudly with one breast!!

Crabbit

I had a lump investigated 2006. Was diagnosed with a fibroadenoma which was slightly calcified but not cancerous. I was told to go away and not to worry, that it might increase or decrease in size, and that they were not usually removed unless causing a problem.

Christmas 2010 I was aware of more bulk in breast, stupidly assumed it was fibro again growing. Only when it got to April and it was obvious by bulk/ pain that it had grown significantly did I contact gp.

Appt came May 2nd, Breast clinic not until 19 July and then told prob nothing so another two week delay for biopsy.

Guess what? Now had three fibro and 2 cysts, the smallest fibro cancerous. I had to fight with the surgeon to take everything out at WLE, but he did it! Did not want to make same error in future.

Guest user
Not applicable

MY lump was between my breast and armpit, and i found it beacause it was cold!.. It was Jan and I was ready for bed and as it was cold I sat with my arms crossed over my chest and hands tucked under my armpits... the rest as they say is history!

Lizzy1977

I confess I never bothered checking my breasts. My husband found my lump back in January. I went to the GP and she thought it was hormonal and asked me to come back in 3 months. At 33 with no family history I wasn't worried so didn't go back until June. It took 3 biopsies and a lumpectomy for them to finally diagnose me in August with a grade 3 carcinoma and high grade DCIS but fortunately not spread. Just had the mx and awaiting everything else
Lizzy

RevCat

Interesting thread. I'm an 'inbetweeny' - too old to be a 'younger woman' and too young for screening; designated 'young' by nmy consultants as I was pre-menopausal and under 50... there seem rather a lot us on here!

I was reasonably breast aware and checked fairly regularly. Can honestly say that it was max three weeks from checking that I found my lump inadvertently. One night lying in bed, rolled over and thought,'ouch what's that'? Felt a lump that seemed to have come from nowhere, and was, so I reckoned, about 2cm. Saw GP straight away (2hrs afetr phoning) who said it was mobile and smoooth but would refer me anyway... the rest is history. Turned out to be 8cm x 6 cm (yes, I do mean cm) tumour at the time I stared neoadjuvant chemo, and when I said to my consultant I thought it'd had grown between diagnosis and starting treatment he said 'your instincts are good'. Grade 3 stage 3 nodes 3... so everything thrown at it. Now just over a year on from dx feel great and moving on... still too young for screening, still too old to be young... but above all glad to still be here!

Guest user
Not applicable

I found a lump shortly after a miscarriage. Had an itch and as i scratched i found a lump and thought what the ..... went to docs and was told it could just be hormonal change in the breast due to the pregnancy but to go back in couple of weeks if still there.

Obviously it didnt go away so got referral to breast clinic.
Was dx 16th august with grade3 1.8x1.5 tumour

Guest user
Not applicable

forgot to mention it was grade 2 x

Guest user
Not applicable

guilty of not regularly checking breasts but at 41 with no family history didnt think it would happen to me! wrong! applying body lotion one day and felt what i thought was a HUGE lump at approx 6 oclock on left breast.honestly had not felt it before. slept on it deciding it was probably due to being just before period. next day i just knew it wasnt right for me. gp same day,breast clinic 3 days later. 1.8mm idc. no node involvement.clear margins. 25 rads, 5 yrs tam. seems only yesterday although was only dx in may.feel great now but will be so more breast aware!!! alex xxx

June_BCC

Hi sunshine

Don't worry I've deleted the duplicate post.

best wishes
June, moderator

sunshine_1

Sorry posted twice

sunshine_1

Hi

Mine was found by a routine mammogram, my second. I am 53 and it was a total shock as I check my breasts regularly and couldn't feel anything or had any symptoms. I felt very guilty for not feeling it but my BCN said it wasn't palpable. After 2 biopsies I was diagnosed with IDC 10mm, US suggested no lymph node involvement, however after having a WLE and SNB it was found that one of the two nodes removed contained microscopic cells also lump was measured at 9mm and only grade 1. I am due to have a partial axillary clearance on 7th October with probable chemo and rads plus 5 years tamoxifen. Just want to get on with treatment, hate all this waiting.

Hugs to all

tors

Ps anyone can post, not just whippersnappers

tors

Hi, I haven't bumped this up for ages but wondered if anyone new/who hasn't previously posted would like to write their story?

Thanks

Vickie

supertrouper

I held back from commenting in this thread as it was about younger women. I am 55 so just fall into the "older" age bracket.

Always checked my breasts in the shower, although never been told to check the armpit area.

My problem started with occasional shooting pains in my breast. I was concerned and always checked myself out every time I had a pain but never found anything...until one day when I felt the pain and put my hand down against my breast and felt a feeling of "firmness" that wasn't there before. I went home and stripped off before a mirror and when I held my arm above my head I could see a crease below my nipple that I had never noticed before.

I showed my OH and he couldn't believe that he hadn't noticed it before, but I think that was because it hadn't presented itself before!

Fast forward to today two months on and two chemo sessions done with. I will beat this - I will!

Jo_C

I religiously checked mine as I am too young for mammograms (39) and had a friend die from BC when she was 31. Also my riding instructor died from it and another friend has secondaries. Tends to make you rather paranoid, with good cause in my case as although it was a large tumour it was found early.

oldandlumpy

i wonder if there is a diffence in age to how people found their lump? do more older women find it in the shower/ by accident and younger women find it on routine tests?

Guest user
Not applicable

I checked my breasts very irregularly, I'd be in the shower and think 'havn't checked for a while.... so'

I'd been in the bath.

Went for clean pjs in a low drawer, and when my breasts swung free I felt a slight pain in the right one.

I found, what seemed like a massive lump on top but behind the nipple. It was smooth. I was 10 days from my 2nd regular mammogram.

Visit to GP within 3 days... 'It feels mallable, like fluid sac. It's probably a cyst, but lets get you in for a proper check'

Internet research turned up a cocktail of vitamins that could shrink cysts, so I took them.... The lump changed from a smooth lump to a chewed up piece of toffee (lumpy)

The rest is history. The ultra sound found 2 lumps, one was definately a cyst, the other suspect. Back to surgeon for biopsies, 2 hours later, I was Stage 2 with a 14mm tumour, prob early days so likely no nodal involvement.

I immediately requested a mastectomy and he said he'd take Sentinel Nodes for good measure.

Operation 1 month later and the tumour removed was 21mm and I was upgraded to Stage 3 as 1 Lymph Node was affected.

Back for Axillary Node harvesting, and thankfully, no further involvement.

I started FEC last week.

HUGS
June

Guest user
Not applicable

thank god for routine mammograms.... i had no lump .. no puckering.. nothing.. mammo picked up calcifications, after tests i was upgraded to invasive with dcis..at the moment last mammo clear , and im on aromasin for 5 yrs. without the routine mammograms where would we be

angielav

Routine mammogram showed something up.. went for another a month later, and that was all clear. 3 months later I found the lump. So ladies, please don't rely on the mammogram. I was told that some tumours don't always show up on mammograms but do show up on ultrasound.

ragamuffin

Routine mammogram found mine. None of the medical people could feel it at all and some tried very hard before giving up. I had no symptoms at all.

CheshireCheese

Interesting how many people spotted their lump whilst in the shower or bath. The slippery soap seems to help us feel any untoward lumps or bumps - it certainly did with me.

sallieannie

Like many other posters I found the lump whilst showering. I just thought "hmm that's a bit weird" but was not too concerned, being just 32 and having no family history. But I thought I'd better get it checked out anyway to put my mind at ease. My GP was not unduly concerned either, but said it was standard to refer all breast issues to the one-stop clinic, even if they thought the chance of it being BC was minimal. And thank goodness for that as obviously you can guess what the results were 😞

I am horrified to read about women being dismissed. Surely all lumps should be checked out no matter how unlikely BC seems. As we sadly know all too well, there are enough of us for whom it should have been very unlikely, and yet here we are.

lisha

I kept getting tingling in my breasts which was unusual .Doctors said it was just hormones .
I check my breasts but not as regular as i should have done.The tingling made me check them and i found a thickening.I went to the docs and i was the last app of the day. She just told me to quickly lift the bottom of my bra up put her hand on my breast and said there was nothing there and put me down as having mastitus.No pain no burning no proper breast check.
I went away thinking great .We were moving house ,had lived in the last one 26 years since i was 16 and was so excited just thought a brand new start as things had been badly stressful for us all.
Only when we moved this thickening was in the back of my mind so two weeks later i made an app to see a diff doc and she checked me properly and referred me. Funny thing was i just knew it was cancer something just told me.It was no surprise at all .Just the last thing in a long line of really bad events that we had endured over the past two years.
I always wondered if stress can bring it on cos if it can that is def my reason
Sharon xx

araminta9

Mine is the sneaky lobular type, and only 18mm but was still picked up by the fantastic team at Oxford on my regular mammmogram. I then had an MRI scan of both breasts. Been incredibly lucky and had lumpectomy and now about to have RT and then five years Letrazole. But nodes were clear. Thank goodness for mammograms.

oldandlumpy

in china when they did not have routine screening they did a trial. The took half the women and taught them how to self examine their breasts.(aparantly it takes half an hour to do it properly!) and did not talk the the other half at all about breasts and bumps or tell them what sort of trial they were on. the women who did not self examine found their bumps at the same stage as the women who checked for them every month. Something alerted them that things were just not right and they had a poke or a look in the mirror. Or a partner found it.

Same with me, mine could only be felt lying down and i found it by accident in bed one morning

Guest user
Not applicable

I found my breast change 8 months after my first mammogram while standing in front of the bathroom mirror applying my deodorant ..... some dimpling under my left boob.
This was a couple of days before my birthday, I ignored it till after my birthday then went straight to GP.... it was 4.9 cm!!
My cancer was the sneaky Lobular type.. doesn't show on mammo
x

Guest user
Not applicable

I was on my way back from visiting my mother-in-law in hospital. Driving back I had a pain in my breast. Just rubbed it. When I got home, I was lying down on the sofa watching TV when I had the stabbing pain again. Put my hand there and felt the lump.

It was Friday of a bank holiday week-end. Couldn't see the GP until Tuesday and was out of my mind. Just couldn't believe that I'd missed such a large lump(3cms)

I'd had my screening and had always checked myself in the shower but this lump could only be felt when laying on your side.

The GP and hospital were wonderful.

Three years on and I'm great.

Mal

tors

Bump

Guest user
Not applicable

I became VERY breast aware after being refered to the breast clinic in may 2009 due to pain & changes in my breasts more so my right one.
Thank God I was checking myself every 2 weeks due to the fact I had no monthly guide due to periods being so scatty.

Id had a bath early evening & was laying on my bed checking as usual nearly died when I found a tiny moveable lump, this was a saturday I was in the GP's that Monday

chrissy16

Hi

I am 63 years of age. As is usual, I have regular mammograms. My bc was found by a regular mammogram. Was called back and had usual biopsies, scans etc. Had lumpectomy and just finished rads. It goes to show that mammograms are important, but not everyone attends them. chris xx

Guest user
Not applicable

hello
i've found both of mine in the bath, both v small, totally based on knowing my body - taught by a lovely nurse in 1976
soapy hands seem to find many lumps!

cherryorchard

I was in the shower and noticed something when I was washing my breast. It wasn't obvious as my breasts are large and this was near the bottom of my breast, so it was hidden by the breast tissue above. Lay on the bed and felt around again and it was much more noticable. Saw the GP the next morning who gave me an urgent referral. Was seen at a one stop breast clinic 11 days later; mammo, ultrasound, and core biopsy. Then to outpatients to see the surgeon, who said both he and the radiologist were certain it was BC but wait for the results. Back one week later and results confirmed IDC, grade 3, 2.5cm. WLE & SNB 10 days later. Nodes negative, thankfully. Back two weeks later for followup appt.with surgeon in OPs. After seeing him I was hustled across the corridor to see the onc. who had put on some extra clinics as he was about to go on holiday for two weeks. Told I needed chemo as well as rads. Now 1/3 the way through chemo.

Rustyharas

Just an update, I posted last summer on how I had found my lump, pea sized, was 45 so too young for screening. I just had my first annual check up (Ned thankfully) and the consultant told me that he wanted to give me an ultrasound as well as mammogram, because my lump had not shown up on the mammogram the first time anyway! This was all news to me, I was quite shocked. I had an obvious, hard 1.7 cm lump - and the machine didn't see it!

I thank my lucky stars once again for small breasts. Even screening wouldn't have picked it up.
X
Rusty

sheil

Hi all
Hate to see so many young women getting this. I'm 54 and its bad enough. Mine was found on screening. I was speechless as I believed I was kind of immune, having loads of female relatives, old and young, and not a speck of any kind of cancer. I had been on HRT because of this unfortunately false belief, and now feel that was my one big mistake, as I'd have an 'interesting hormonal history' with fertility drugs and other stuff in the past.
The second mammogram was inconclusive but the radiologist could see it on US and told me then it 'probably is cancer'. Then they looked more closely at the other side, and lo and behold, another spot. Then had MRI and another 'highly suspicious' spot, which I fought to have biopsied - and had to travel to Aberdeen as that's the only place in Scotland that has the equipment. It turned out not to be invasive, and since then I've read that MRI's are a bit of a double-edged sword, and can have lots of false positives, and cause a lot of over-treatment. It was 3 months between diagnosis and surgery for me because of all the tests and waiting for results. (Susan Love's book has a good bit on this.) Was recommended bilateral mastectomy but decided that having clear nodes (from SNB) I would go with lumpectomies and hope the radiotherapy mops up any other spots and will hope for the best. Optimist or what!! Biggest was 2.2cm, so no chemo, though I've requested an Oncotype DX test as I feel I fall into a bit of a grey area.

But very interesting thread. Thanks for the stories, and the best of luck to us all.

S

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi,

I found my lump in the shower I wasnt checking myself just foaming the shower gel around my boobs as you do and bam I felt the lump. Quite uncanny really as the evening before I had watched Embrassing bodies who had run a section on the programme about self examination. I had only checked myself a few times prior to this but wasnt really sure what I should be looking for.
I had been suffering from a feeling of my nipple pulling inwards but had no other pains and as I had a 4 month old baby I just thought that feeling in my nipple was do to with my body going back to normal?
There certainly is not enough information/publicity out there for younger women. I certainly thought BC was an older ladies disease but since being diagnosed at 34 I have found this not to be the case.

scottdolly

Hi there , I never found a lump . I went to see my gp with a sore collar bone and she did a breast examination . Thankfully she is an excellent doctor as she found a lump and sent me straight to the breast surgeon . I had a tricky time after that I had a mammogramme followed by an ultrasound . The consultant found four lumps ( two in each breast ) he did needle and core biopsys on them and two were cancerous .
I had a mastectomy with immediate reconstruction and fortunately had no lymph node involvement. Due to one tumour being grade3 I had six rounds of FEC chemo followed by radiotherapy. I feel lucky as I really persisted to get the initial appointment with my gp and as always faced the old " she has no gaps" for some reason I fought to get one and thank god I did as I may have given up and would have been diagnosed much further down the road .

Guest user
Not applicable

I didnt have any lump or symptoms, but was having yearly mamograms due to family history. I had my usual mamogram beginning of Feb and thought nothing more about it and waited for the all clear letter to come through the post. A week later a letter arrived telling me I need to go back for further tests. I knew then that I had cancer. Not sure why but it was a gut feeling. Low and behold I was diagnosed with high grace dcis ten days later and had a lumpectomy and then was diagnosed with two invasive tumours as well. I have been incredibly calm throughout the whole thing, and have amazed myself with how I have managed to be so positive about it all.

oldandlumpy

I dont self exam, or go for screening. one morning i was in bed, with my pint mug of tea resting on my left breast as usaul, when for some reason i rubbed my breast. the mug had dragged it over to one side. my fingers brushed against a pea size lump. i sat up and then could not find it so got on with my morning. when i got up and got dressed i looked in the mirror and to my horror saw a dimple, as if my breast was play dough and somone had poked their little finger in. proded the dent and there was the lump.went to the gp and now going for a one stop screening in two days. All a bit scarey, but I cannot believe it is something bad. Still think i am going to waste their time. I suppose that is good that it means i can enjoy the time before my results. mind you have just discovered lots of moles on the underside of that breast. old and saggy so not looked at that bit for ages. hope its a co-incidence. The other breast has no moles

Guest user
Not applicable

hi
i was diagnosed in jan at the age of 27 i kept on feeling a ache in my left breast was convinced my youngest daughter aged 2 kept on elbowing me there whilst climbing on me all the time!i was also pregnant at the start of january but miscarried 3 days after my diagnosis i think at the time i put the change in my breast down to them 2 things i rubbed my breast as it hurt and i found a lump but saying that around 2 months earlier dry skin appeared in the area i later found the lump. i've never self checked as no one in my family or anyone i know has had breast cancer. i was under the impression that people over 50 get breast cancer as that is the age the nhs offer screening. what done my head in was in december i went to my gp about my lump/aches in my breast and he said if i was 45 i would be going to hospital faster than my feet touched the floor! but due to my age it was proberly a cyst (sorry forgot how to spell it), the gp said come back in 4 weeks then 2nd week of january. but my partner was concerned as my breast was really starting to ache 2 visits later (no way was i waiting 4 weeks with that pain) i got a refferal to breast clinic at local hospital they did a scan and a core biopsy. 2 weeks later on the 7th of january was my results. i never even thourght that my lump was breast cancer. when the surgeon told me i was in complete shock. i went back to the gp on the 10th of jan as i was miscarrying and told him his cyst was grade 2 breast cancer and i asked him why didn't he reffer me asap? his answer was people your age do not normally have breast cancer. i do think screening should be reduced to 20 as i have seen posts on here with younger women than me

terri27

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi poppy,

i too was misdiagnosed at 36 eventually dx at 40 with large tumour, this was mixed ilc/idc and ilc throughout breast area, i too underwent mastectomy ETC...I was told it was a fybroadenoma by gp.
i had noticed lump, then 4years later dimpling and breast distortion.
I am still here and 2 years ned.very lucky I have been told.