Hi there. I've now undergone 9 of 20 treatments, but am seriously considering halting this due to the side effects I'm now beginning to experience - dreadful pain and skin beginning to breakdown. A personal opinion is that you need to take serious account of the possibility of these side effects in your decision making, although as you say, at the end of the day and without the benefit of a crystal ball, only you can make the final decision. Good Luck x
... View more
Hi there. Following a recall and biopsies in September 2016 subsequent to a routine mammogram, I was diagnosed with Early Stage Grade 5 In-Situ Ductal Carcinoma in my right breast as a result of which I underwent surgery for a Wire Guided Wide Local Excision in October 2016, and a Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy in November 2016. I was advised that the Lumpectomy showed tiny traces of invasion hence the SLNB, but that no cancer was found in the Lymph Nodes. I was therefore advised that all the cancer had been successfully surgically removed but as a precaution against recurrence, a course of Radiotherapy was recommended. I therefore commenced radiotherapy treatment during late February 2017 and at the time of writing have now received 9 treatments of the 20 planned. All was going well with nothing really to report until this weekend when I have experienced excruciating pain in my affected breast. This seems to be centred around the nipple and the underside of the breast, but does wax and wane somewhat, although I can hardly bear anything to touch the breast. The pain appears to respond reasonably well to paracetamol so some sleep is possible. The skin under arm and around the site of the previous surgical treatment is beginning to sprout pus filled pimples. As I've been repeatedly reassured that the radiotherapy is a precautionary treatment to try to prevent recurrence (the actual identified cancer having been successfully removed during surgery), I am seriously questioning whether to stop receiving this treatment now, rather than continuing the full course and risk these symptoms becoming worse. My treatment is currently suspended for 2 days due to routine servicing of the equipment, so I am not due back to the hospital until Wednesday, which will constitute treatment number 10 - i.e. half way through. I don't know what to do, but the pain and possible skin breakdown which now seems to be starting, is quite alarming and I am seriously wondering whether it’s worth making things worse. It seems that my body is very clearly telling me that it has had enough, and every instinct in me tells me to stop now before things get worse. But I’m a coward, and hence am really struggling between these very strong instincts, and the brain which tells me I should put all my faith in the medics. Help please!!
... View more