Hello everybody I went for a routine mammogram and was called into hospital for further tests. Told calcification in both breasts but so small the were not concerned but had biopsy’s ‘just in case’. Went back almost two weeks ago to be told the right breast had dcis cancer and they wanted to do a further biopsy to see if I would need a lumpectomy or a mastectomy, he said they would do a lumpectomy on the left breast to remove the non cancerous calcium at the same time as the right. So for ten days I clung to the hope that they originally said everything was small and it would be a lumpectomy both sides. Then two days ago returned for the face slapping news that I need a mastectomy it is now classed as invasive breast cancer as the biopsy they done the other end showed it had left the duct. I have felt sick, tearful and sore everywhere from being so tense since then. Mainly because I have to make the decision of what sort of rebuild I want. My first thought was I don’t want a foreign body implant. But then I am so frightened and maybe even refused to use my own tissue as I have lymphoedema in my right leg and groin from cervical cancer treatment 19 years ago. I am so angry I feel I have had my fair share already. I have whittled it down to three options that would suit me best but at the moment I feel that I will go for the first one but if any of you have had the same experience please I would love to hear your views, I know it’s me that has to decided in the end. If there was no choice it would be a bit easier. 1 right breast mastectomy and implant ( this will leave my right breast smaller as the implants are not big enough for me and my left breast will be sorted to match at a later date) 2 both breasts mastectomy and implants (at least they will match!) he offered me the chance to remove left breast too but I so no as a gut reaction for a start 3 taking tissue from my tummy, diep I think it’s called. At least I get a free tummy tuck into the bargain! But it’s a far longer stay in hospital and possibly intensive care, two operation sites to deal with, plus I could be refused it anyway do to other helalth issues and need to go to another hospital to find out as mine does not do that operation. I also don’t know if I am anywhere near brave enough to go for this one. So if anybody has made these choices I would like to hear a bit more. Thank you for being here and thank you for reading, sorry if I have waffled and not used the correct words at times. I am 51 live on my own and in a relationship with a very understanding man and supportive man 20 years older than me. I have some marvellous friends who will help me every step of the way but I still feel I have to put a brave face on for them.
... View more