Hi from Canada! I think it sounds like many of us are in the same situation. I've seen a plastics surgeon last Spring, and he's agreed to prophylactic Mx and bilateral TRAM flap recon. Back in the summer I was originally told DEC 16 as a provisional date. Then I got a call to say they had a cancellation OCT 15 if I was interested? Er, Yes, I said. So they called back a few days later to tell me they couldn't coordinate all the medical staff they need for that date. Apparently, for my surgery they need a Breast Surgeon/General surgeon (Because the PS is not allowed to actually perform the mastectomy!) and then TWO Plastics guys as it is a bilateral. The date had come up via a cancellation but she had been booked for a single recon. -Oh OK. -So, it will be a date in January, but don't worry, you are next on the list! -What happened to December 16? -Ah, we gave that date to another lady who had been waiting longer ... -!!!??? So then last week they call again: - We have a date, January 6! - OK, that's fine ..... - But it is still reliant on being able to coordinate the three doctors .. I'll call you back to confirm, but if it doesn't work it will be a date in February! So this surgery is beginning to look like a mirage, always on the horizon. I'm like you Irenee; Starting to think I should just book a mastectomy, which my BS had said she "can do any time", then they only have to get TWO surgeons lined up for recon, as three seems impossible! Then I think, Hells Bells, that's another surgery, with another recovery time ..... why the hell should I? I have also wondered if I could put up with just being flat, but symmetrical at least. I'm waiting for an MRI at present, as I'm not convinced that my lumpy scar isn't a recurrence, despite the ultrasound not showing anything suspicious. Most of my original tumour did not show up on imaging!!! If I DO have something new growing, I would definitely shelve the idea of recon. ..... Not worth the bother. But I think I'd still like the other one off! Sigh.
... View more