Body hair growth slowed after radio

I was a 3NBC grade 3 patient. I’ve had 6 months chemotherapy, a lumpectomy and node biopsy, and radio.

3 months after finishing chemotherapy the speed of my body hair regrowth (legs, underarm etc) had returned to normal.

After my surgery I had 15 sessions of radiotherapy, and 4 sessions of a radiation boost. This finished 3 weeks ago and my body hair growth all over has slowed incredibly.

Normally all my hair grows very fast and it would be visually noticeable after one day, but regrowth after a day or two is hardly noticeable now. Is this normal? I though radiation only affected the area it was targeted at?

My own theory is that my body is busy making cells to repair the radio damage and can’t be bothered to grow any hair… but I’m not sure that actually makes any sense.

Hi, one of the positive things to come out of all the rubbish we have been through is that our body hair goes, leaving us more time to do better things than shaving legs etc. The hair on my head did take a while to get back to full strength, but I can honestly say it’s in better condition now than ever. I completed my treatment in June 2022 and now have shoulder length curls. I hope this offers some kind of comfort. You have done great. X

Hello TillyN

Thanks for posting your question asking if it was normal that body hair growth would slow down following radiotherapy.

Chemotherapy treatment affect the way cells in hair follicles divide and grow so rates of hair growth on completion of treatment will vary.

Cancer Hair Care are an organisation providing resources and useful information for helping to manage hair loss, they also have information on the hair growth cycle which you may find helpful.

Radiotherapy does treat the area targeted, so the breast and armpit (if this area was also treated) may be affected by slow hair growth. However, it should not affect the rate of hair growth on the rest of your body and is more likely due to previous chemotherapy treatment.

Do talk your concerns through with your breast care nurse or treatment team. However, as Donna2510 says, it may take some time.

We offer a range of free supportive services for anyone who has had a diagnosis of breast cancer which you may be interested in. They include face to face and online courses and events.

For more details about all of these services, please see the information on the link.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this** form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Addie

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.