Cold Cap questions

Hi there,

A few questions on cold capping as curious as to how to get the best results. Starting on AC-T

• What’s the best brush to use to protect hair?
    -I have heard that kneading top of your head is helpful when you are in the cold cap, is this true?
    -if you lose 50% of hair but have fast regrowth do you have to cut your hair or can you keep the length?
    -Does wearing a wig make hair fall out?
    -what’s best to wear at night on your head?

Any other tips to save hair would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Hi
I managed to only have two smallish bald patches using the cold cap. Wearing a wig didn’t make my hair fall out, and I think it would be ok to not cut your hair if re-growth is fast. I used Alpesin shampoo, but not sure how much it helped. I think it was definitely worth it to use the cap. It tends to be very cold and a bit painful for the first 15 to 20 mins but then just goes numb. Good luck Liz

1 Like

Hi @SL255

I cold capped and would say I kept around 50% of my hair. I used a wide tooth comb and was told to only brush once a day and wash it only once a week. Don’t massage in the shampoo either. Really just touch it as little as possible and no hair dryers or straighteners either.
Ive not heard that one about kneading while cold capping. The only thing is your hair gets frozen and sticks to the cap so moving it about might damage it??
I cut my hair to above my shoulders before chemo but didn’t cut it even when I lost 50%. It wasn’t the best look but i just pinned it up and wore a hair band to hide any thin patches. I’m 3 weeks after my final chemo and it’s already started to fill back in so the cold cap defintely helps with faster regrowth. I’ll need to keep wearing it up for a while until the lengths even out a bit more but I’m happy I kept my length.
At night I wear a hair band to keep it back but not put any strain on the roots. I’ve heard a silk pillow is good for not pulling hairs but I didn’t bother with that.
I bought a wig but only wore it out a few times. Not sure if you lose hair wearing them or not. I think you’ll find your hair can shed whatever you do so just be gentle with it and minimise any messing about with it as much as possible.
Good luck with the cold capping! X

2 Likes

I have just done 2 cycles of chemo (6 weekly appointments in total), so it’s too early to judge if the cold cap is working or not, but I haven’t lost any hair so far (and long may it continue!).

I have very fine hair and I cut to shoulder length so that it is easier to manage with the cold cap and washing. I’m glad I did, it’s indeed much easier to manage than my usual length and I actually like the style. I usually tie my hair with a hair band during the day and try to touch it as little as possible. I continue using my usual tangle teezer brush but limit brushing to one time per day. I wash my hair twice a week which is already difficult for someone who used to wash their hair every second day!

I bought a silk pillow from. Slipsilk and they are wonderful to sleep on. I’m not sure whether it helped though.

When washing the hair, it’s important not to massage the scalp, just put some mild shampoo (I use Aveda) on the hair and rub the surface. It helps keep your hair back when washing so that it is easier to brush it later.

I would definitely try cold cap and see how it goes. Some people find it extremely painful and some are perfectly fine. I’m a lucky one, I barely notice it and I know quite a few ladies who have been tolerating it well and kept their hair.

I can’t say anything about how wigs impact your hair, as I haven’t started wearing mine.

1 Like

Hi there I used the cold cap and only lost about 30% of my hair
I have shoulder length and hair and was advised not to cut it and i agree don’t cut it short
Make sure cold cap fits properly it needs to touch the head all over top and around the hairline too - this is very important as the cap is freezing the folicles to stop the impact of the chemo
Yes its uncomfortable for about 10/15 mins but you get used to it and you adapt to it
Use a gentle shampoo and try to wash hair only once a week and brush just once a day
I used a satin /silk pillowcase and tried not to rub or disturb my hair or scalp as little as possible
My hair did not fall out in lumps but it thinned and I did not use my wig at all
Make sure hospital know you are cold capping ahead of appointments so you get right size cap ready for you
The experience was better then I had expected it would be and i was left with multiple wigs and scarves unworn.
Here is a picture of me with my husband i am at my worst hair wise after 7 sessions of ECT chemo, As you see no eyelashes or eyebrows but they grew back very quickly after it was all over
IMG_6070|375x500

Good luck xxx

3 Likes

You look fabulous. I’ve got this to come. Inspirational. Well done you x

2 Likes

Thanks Liz lovely to hear positive stories! Wishing you good health. Thanks x

Hi I’ve had 3 rounds of EC and cold capped for each. I’ve kept a good covering of hair couple of thinning areas on my crown but can cover it up. I’ve used Simple shampoo and wash my hair very gently in luke warm water only weekly. I use a wide tooth comb which was recommended and very gently comb it twice a day. I start 3 rounds of Docetaxal next week and still intended to cold cap, before each session I take 2 paracetamol 30 mins before and drink plenty of water. Hope this helps

3 Likes

Thank you so much all great advice too and it must to be nice to be out the other side! X

Kept about 60 per cent went at temples just covered up . Also thinned but never wore my wig and returned it . Wash once a week in cold water do not massage use mild shampoo. Take paracetamol before chemo it’s v uncomfortable for 10 minutes or so . Good luck ! x

2 Likes

You look fab, thanks for your message! I have a bit more hope now :slight_smile: I have been reading so many of these posts I think I have come across your post before. Did you use Daniel Field products and did the silicon pad help if you used this?

Never wearing the wig once is success to me!!! Amazing. I know cold cap is very hit or miss but fingers crossed it works for me. What chemo were you on?
Thank you :pray:

Best of luck with next round and continued success! Thanks for the tips on washing and minding the hair we have. It’s a long road and I have to remind myself that as much as I am focused on trying to keep every blade of hair the real prize is being healthy at the end of this. Hard though.

1 Like

Thx yes did use some of his products and listened to his advice but I think if you use cap correctly you’ll still get a good result so many people give up or the nurses are so busy they don’t encourage. Good luck to all think of it as a project with milestones and on completion a celebration :partying_face::two_hearts:

2 Likes

Thx I was on ECT for 7 sessions
Keep positive it’s a project with milestones to celebrate :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your advice. Best wishes for the rest of the treatment x @gsd1007

1 Like

Well done! Thanks for sharing your experience @pearly1960 x

1 Like

Thank you for your experience. Well done you @Susanmanchester x

1 Like

Three FEC Red Devil etc then nine low dose paclitaxol . Can’t quite believe I got through it looking back but my hair survived enough not to be noticeable. Five years on it is in better Nick than before darker and I’m 66 ! Eyebrows another story pure white and sparse but they didn’t have cold cap lol

2 Likes

I used a cold cap when i was on ec, with very successful results I’m pleased to say. I did find the first 15mins very painful but if you can get past that you’ll be fine. I also took paracetamol before treatment started. I reckon i didn’t loose any hair! Good luck with your treatment.

2 Likes