Enlarged breast after Radiotherapy

I had a high grade DCIS and reconstruction right side in 2019 followed by 20 sessions of radiotherapy and my breast shrank considerably. 2023 Cancer left side removed with margins and lymph nodes removed with no spread, Radiotherapy for 5 sessions to mid Jan 2024 and my breast has swollen a lot now 26/3/24. Struggling to get proper advice as I am being passed between departments.

1 Like

Hello wonky1,

Thanks for posting.

Radiotherapy can continue to work after treatment so some side effects like skin changes may not develop until after its finished. Swelling of the breast can also develop but this tends to settle in the weeks after treatment. It sounds as if your swelling is perhaps significant and developed quite quickly. We’re not sure what departments you’ve contacted but you could contact your breast care nurse or the radiology department.

If you remain unsuccessful do contact your GP or you can contact 111.

To connect with others, you may want to post on this section of the forums. Details of all our services are here.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

We will be closed on Good Friday 29 March, open on Saturday 30 March and closed on Easter Monday 1 April.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Jane

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.