Hair thinning with Abemaciclib

Hi, did anyone lose their eyelashes when taking this drug? I was so pleased that my lashes grew back really well after chemo but after 2 months on Abemaciclib, I’m back using falsies!! :weary:
Also, I’ve heard the side effects can stop after the first months (worsening fatigue, nausea and diarrhoea) but also heard that the symptoms are cumulative?? So confused. Want to know if I’m gonna start feeling better soon or worse as the 2 years go on??
Have just reduced to 100mg.

2 Likes

Hello from what I understand eyelashes have a much shorter cycle than hair and I’ve found that I lose mine at the moment every couple of months. Initially it was completely ,now they thin out greatly but grow again and this seems quite normal. My hair I feel has thinned , I had very thick hair and feel it’s definitely very sparse on the front either side . Last time I lost it following treatment I had it coloured after six months this time I’m a year past last chemo but left colouring . Like you I’m waiting to see the longer term effects of Abemaciclib . I think I’ve been very lucky to date in that after initial neutropenia and a dose reduction to 100mg twice a day I’ve stayed pretty active . I walk a lot . However it may be imagination and the fact I’m getting older too maybe but I feel I get days where I’m in a bit of a fog , tired , with it but not with it if you get what I mean. Like you I’ve read that effects are accumulative but I’m just very glad to be here so exercise and very pure diet and fingers crossed. Think your eyelashes will hopefully grow back before they thin again :heart:

2 Likes

My side effects have definitely been cumulative. Fatiqie with severe breathlessness and dizziness if i exert myself too much.
I didnt loose my lashes again but my hair has grown back really thick but not growing long. Very slow process Texture is also quite coarse.
I stop Abemaciclib in Nov 24 and I cant wait !!

1 Like

In response to Moobloo, yes, I was saddened/surprised by the demise of my eyelashes! After so many chemo horrors, I was happy to have my eyelashes back but now, after c.4 months on Abemaciclib, they’re barely there - very short/stubby. My hair is also disappointing: it had started to grow back after chemo/radiotherapy then, as others have said, I just didn’t realise I’d be on years of other meds with definite side-effects. So I was sad to realise my hair immediately stopped growing and was thinning. 4 months on, it’s snow-white and doesn’t seem to grow in length but has thickened a bit and grown back coarse and bushy. Best thing has definitely been to have a short, sharp “elfin-type” cut. I’ve had to go to minimum Abemaciclib dose (50mg twice a day) as had constant diahrroea right from the start, and huge tiredness. 1st dose-reduction to 100mg didn’t help, so had 3 week complete break. Now diahrroea-free on 50mg but still constantly exhausted. Hope it’s worth it…!

2 Likes

Thanks for all your responses. It makes me feel better that I’m not the only one having the same issues!!
Gonna push myself to start walking and lifting light weights again. I stopped my dog walks cos I would be shattered for the rest of the day. I prefer to keep busy around the house and go shopping etc. I like to take it easy as I do get breathless at the slightest exertion and that freaks me out a little!
I read a great book called “Moving through Cancer” by Dr Kathryn Schmitz.
Thanks again to all that messaged me xxx

2 Likes

Sounds like we are Abemaciclib side effect identical twins ! Nice to know we are not imagining things as the exhausting side effects are hard to put into words :grinning:

1 Like

Hi Theresa, yes it’s so nice to know other people have the same problems!! Must have been so much worse for patients before forums came about. I’ve had a good day today, had a good walk (although hubby tried to push me to walk further) but I refused cos then I’d be shattered for rest of day!
Do u have diarrhoea and how do u manage it? The last few days, I seem to have diarrhoea first thing when I get up so rather than waiting to see if I go again, I’ve been taking one Loperamide with my morning tablets and then I don’t go for the rest of the day. So might keep this up cos at least I know if I go out, I’ll be safe!! Only had one mishap so far when I couldn’t get to a toilet!! :see_no_evil:

Hi I’m on 50mg Abemaciclib - Verzenios, and Diarrhoea is manageable i usually get once a week, this is preceeded by sever belly ache and wind, 2 Loperamide are taken, . Then I return to daily normal motions.
As for my eyelashes they did grow back but my forearm hair never did. I have lovely wavy hair that curls up after washing, had to pay for this in the past.
I don’t have any nausea, but when idi it usually occured during the ‘squits’ whilst sat on the loo, but i found if… i stripped off or made myself feel cold, it nipped the nausea in the bud, ie i didn’t faint. Fainting usually makes you hot and the hot flush leads to the faint. i have an old fashioned loo so just resting my head and neck against it and bracing was/ is enough and thats enough

1 Like

I havent had issues with Diarrhea on any doseage amount. I maybe have a loose bowel maybe once week but know what triggers this for me, ie food cooked in oil and too many milky lattes so i stay clear if i can.
I have only taken Lopermaide once in 16 months so consider myself as lucky in that dept but exhauxtion, dizziness and breathlessness are my only issues.
Know what you mean about people wanting you to go further on your walks but we know how horrid it is when we get to that point and wouldnt wish it on anyone
Ive had several tests to make sure my breathlessness isnt caused by anything else ie CT scan to prove no blood clot on lung) but it has been proven it is the meds
Good luck with your on going recovery xx

2 Likes