Recently Diagnosed Secondary bones and liver

HI Everyone

I have recently (Monday) found out that I have secondary breast cancer in my sternum, liver, and possible pelvis (awaiting investigation). I had my original breast cancer in 2017 when I was 34 and I never though I’d be going through it all again. We’re all just so terrified.
Sorry don’t have a specific question I dont think its fully sunk in yet I suppose I was just looking for good stories to keep me positive.
Thanks

8 Likes

That must be very worrying for you all. You have got through it once, you’ll do it sgain!! X

1 Like

If you don’t mind me asking what symptoms did you have that made you think something might be wrong?

Very vague ones actually. I found I was feeling more and more tired. I use to do a lot of things at weekends but it was becoming too tiring and I was ending up doing nothing. Also my appetite was a bit all over the place. Sometimes I was eating ok but other days I didn’t want to eat anything. I told my nurse that I just felt I needed an MOT just to check. I was expecting something like low iron levels or something like that but then blood tests said no and I ended up back on the roller coaster. I’ve had just over a stone in weight just drop off me recently which means I can actually feel my enlarged liver but I couldn’t before.

2 Likes

I’m sorry you’ve found yourself with secondary cancer, it is very scary, particularly at the beginning and it will take time to sink in.
When I was diagnosed with secondaries in my bones I thought I was going to die within a couple of years - here I am, nearly 14 years later!
There are many treatments and new ones being developed so try to hold on to the positives.
Of course you are going to be scared, confused …but eventually you will find your own way of coping and you will get into the routine of treatment and find that you can live a new normal.
Best wishes, I hope they come up with a plan for you soon. I think you feel a little bit more in control when on treatment and feeling that something is being done

11 Likes

So sorry you have found yourself in this situation, but as the next respondent says, hopefully when you have got a treatment plan you will feel a bit better. Your reply was very helpful to me. I am nearly 69 years old and have been treated with chemo and immunotherapy for what was initially thought to be secondary TMBC as I had suspicious nodules in my lungs. There was nothing in my breast - just a lump in my left armpit. When the nodules in my lungs didn’t change they decided they were probably benign so now I am classed as primary tnbc. I have been offered full auxiliary node clearance surgery and either radiotherapy or mastectomy of the left breast. If I go for this I was just wondering how an earth I would know if I had any distant secondaries in the future because at my age I have various aches and pains anyway! You are much younger than me so I really hope your treatment goes well :pray:

1 Like

Sorry about that, I know how scarry it is.
I went from normal to be in the hospital with 3 broken vertebrae and metastasis all over my bones and liver. I though i was going to die in a month or so. Couldn’t even move…and taking 20 minutrs just to put a pan under my ass to pee…so much i was in pain…my markers were sky high too.
Than i started ribociclib and letrozole and an year after my PET and markers were completly negative! I couldn’t belive it.
Now I had to change medicine, i take Capecitabine, but things look like it’s working, I started to trail run again, cardio yoga, hold heavy things again…i’m reborn.
I also know a lady that had a 15 cm metastasis in her liver plus many little and this year is her 22 anniversary of MBC!
There is many option now, but I know it is so scarry. Is been two year for me but i still have up and down mood. But still love my life and enjoy it.
Let’s hold on thight and wish for new cures.
All I can say is to keep busy and try not to let cancer became everything in your life. I wish i could go to myself of two year ago, in the hospital bed, and show myself today!
I wish you all the best, and please keep us updated

5 Likes

I think the main thing is to know whats not normal for you and not to be afraid to get checked out with your GP. Once you have the cancer word on your medical records they do seem to make sure that they see you quickly and hopefully take your concerns seriously. Don’t be afraid to be pest. Doesn’t matter how unrelated you might think the issue is, get it checked. I just knew I didn’t feel right.
Wishing you all the best

1 Like

I’m so sorry you had to go through all that, but so glad to hear how brilliantly you have recovered. Thank you so much for posting these comments it fills me with a lot of positive thoughts about the next few months. Just a bump in the road, we can overcome this.
All the best for your continued improvement. Thank you again

2 Likes

Hi Amel

As a liver met lady myself, I really appreciate your message :heart:

1 Like

Hi BiRo, if you don’t mind me asking, how many and what size were your lung nodules?

Hi. I only had 3 and they were too small to measure or biopsy. Apparently benign lung nodules are fairly common. Doctors decided they were probably benign since they didn’t disappear with the chemo treatment.

2 Likes

Hi @whytefawn1

I was diaganosed last July with Secondaries in my spine, pelvis and liver. They found it when doing additional checks after my primary treatment so I didn’t have any time delay but it did come as a big shock.

You wanted some some positive news. This week I had the results back from my 6-month scans since starting the secondary treatment and it has shown that the treatment is working. This is on top of the fact that I’ve been feeling much better over the last few weeks, less tired and achy, and much more like I know what I need to do to manage the treatment cycles and my lifestyle and that “it’s ok, I can live like this”.

I am 45. I work full-time, mostly from home which has helped. I went on holiday last week for a lovely week in Cornwall and I’m in the process of moving so I am in a ground floor flat ready for whenever the time comes that I will struggle with stairs.

It has been a tough 7 months, and you have to give yourself time to go through the emotions however they look and feel for you but if you take each day and milestone as it comes there is light at the other side, and as I am starting to find and others on this thread have clarified you can still live a good life and enjoy time with the people you love and do the things you love doing.

It’s not possible to always be positive we all have wobbles and that’s ok but there is plenty to be positive about.

You’ve got this :smiley::heart: x

8 Likes

I hope you’re doing ok as can be. It must be a huge shock for you and I hope in time it sinks in and you learn to live with this.
Do you mind me asking what your original diagnosis was? I believe this will effect treatments going forward with new ones coming down the line. Sending love and positivity xxx

Hi thank you for your kind words.
My origianl diagnosis was in 2017 er+ in right breast with node involvement. I had chemo, right side mx with nodes removed, and rads. Ive since been on zoladex and tamoxifen.

1 Like

Well best wishes going forward my love.
I would recommend calling the Breast Cancer Now nurses if you need to talk to someone not emotionally involved. I’ve always found them knowledgeable and compassionate. X

Thanks Amel
I needed to hear this.
You have lifted my spirits

x

1 Like