When to contact PALS

Hi
I’ve been diagnosed with 10cm idc, er+, her2-, I’m 41. I had my Drs appointment 11th Jan, 1st biopsy 24th where i was diagnosed with BC. I still dont have a treatment plan due to other scans and tests being done. I’m still being told more investigation is needed to get the right treatment, I’ve had MRI & CT waiting on further ultrasound on lymph nodes scheduled 3rd April!
Quite frankly I’m a mess, I’ve had to finish my temp role so now have no money coming in, every time i look at my toddler i cry thinking i wont see her grow up. How much more testing can be done before i start a treatment plan? Who should i talk to anout this? BCN I spoke to a the hospital wasnt interested just said its the process and I’m in the system. I’ve been told PALS but is that the correct next step?

2 Likes

Yes contacting PALS would be good to do now. Also phone the Breast Cancer Now helpline to talk things through. And Macmillan helpline is very good too - also for discussing financial issues.
It’s good to talk to these people anyway - I have found them very helpful.
Hope things start moving for you soon. Keep busy.

1 Like

Hi tori123

Thank you for posting your question. It sounds like a difficult time for you and it’s understandable that you have questions about your treatment plan.

Sometimes extra scans, such as the MRI and CT scan you have had, are needed for the treatment team to know how to treat your breast cancer. The multidisciplinary team (MDT) will then discuss all of the information from the images and biopsies to decide which treatment is recommended. This can sometimes take several weeks, and it can feel like a very uncertain time when you are waiting for these results. The expected time frame for this to happen and to start treatment is usually within 62 days from the date the hospital receives the referral from the GP. For some people it can take longer, if multiple scans are needed. Your treatment team or breast care nurse should be able to explain why additional scans have been required in your case.

Although you have spoken to your breast care nurse, you may want to contact them again to ask how long it may be before you start treatment. You can also ask if the ultrasound scan of your lymph nodes can be done sooner than the 3rd of April. Many breast care nurses work in a team and you may be able to request to speak to another breast care nurse. You can also request to speak to your breast surgeon to discuss your concerns.

You can also contact Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS), as you mention, for support. This is a confidential service for patients, their families, and carers. They can help resolve concerns related to health matters, explain, and handle complaints procedures and help you get the answers that you need about your treatment plan.

You may find it helpful to look at our information and support for younger women with breast cancer. As @christineP22 says Macmillan Cancer Support have financial advisors to provide information about the financial support available. Going through breast cancer diagnosis and treatment can be a stressful time, and waiting to start treatment can make this more difficult.

Please do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. We often find we can help people more by talking on the phone.

The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK - prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am - 1pm on Saturday.

We will be closed on Good Friday 29 March, open on Saturday 30 March and closed on Easter Monday 1 April.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Cassie

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.