72K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fasting during chemo and has anyone ever done it?

6 REPLIES 6
annatommo

Re: Fasting during chemo and has anyone ever done it?

I try to stick to only eating between midday and 6pm as it seems 17 hours is the fasting sweet spot! I wouldn't say that I particularly lose weight doing this as you can still eat a good number of calories its just about the time window. I try to be careful and eat only whole foods with very little processed and I have stopped drinking alcohol (as advised by my oncologist) It's really the longer fasts that help with weight loss. I must admit I am not as sure about FMD as don't know what you actually can eat and not sure if the health benefits are as good but I have not read about this as much. I find fasting so easy now that I don't even think about it and actually find it quite liberating to not have to think about what to eat! Many of my friends and family have started doing it too and all say how much better they feel, less sluggish and with much more energy. Whatever way you chose I hope it works for you. All the best.

Kay0987

Wow. That's a great anecdote for it and thank you for telling me about how you did it during chemo. If I have to have chemo and my oncologist approves it want to do a fasting mimicking diet for three days before and 24 hours after. I would try fasting completely but I've already lost some weight due to a diet change and don't want to lose anymore since I want DIEP surgery at the end of all this. From what I've read a FMD does the same thing as fasting. I'm also doing intermittent fasting now but I wouldn't say it's a ton. I go 14 hours of fasting through the night and morning and then eat a predominately plant based diet with no sugar or dairy during the day. I will eat some fish and a little chicken also for the extra protein. I can't seem to get enough protein purely plant based. The plant based diet is super filling for me and there's only so much I can eat. How long do you do your intermittent fasting for?

annatommo

Hi,

Yes I first read about & started fasting when I started my chemo last year & to be honest I still do it now as I believe it is a game changer. I had 3 rounds of EC & 12 of paclitaxel followed by 3 weeks of radiotherapy. I fasted for 24/36 hours before & a few hours after each chemo. I didn’t need any of the medication provided as I suffered very little nausea, no ulcers, constipation in fact I pretty much was able to carry on as normal. Yes I was tired but I was still able to exercise & walked every day & ran once or twice a week. Everyone was astonished with how I was and yes perhaps it was luck but I have continued to do intermittent fasting most days and weekly 24/36 hours fasts. I have got down to my optimum weight & have come off all my blood pressure medication, lowered my cholesterol & basically have never been healthier at 55! Wish I heard about it years ago! All the best Anna x

Kay0987

Thank you! Will do on both suggestions.

Jill1998
Community Champion

Jill1998
Community Champion

There have been some discussions about this over the years on the forum and some people seem to have found it helpful but you most definitely need to get the ok from your BC team before you try it as obviously everyone’s situation is different  .If you search fasting in the search box hopefully it will bring up past discussions .

Kay0987

Fasting during chemo and has anyone ever done it?

I've been reading some preliminary fascinating research in regards to fasting and whether it is beneficial during chemotherapy. There are some studies going on right now and the results of the few I can read are quite amazing. Easier time handling chemo at the least in regards to reduced toxicity and even some say more tumor shrinkage at the most. Has anyone tried it with success or failure? It seems to be the protocol they are testing most is to fast (water only) or use a fasting mimicking diet (eating controlled calorie food that tricks your body to think it's fasting) for four days, three days before chemo and then one day after. There are some though that studied five days on the fasting mimicking diet. Anyway anybody read up on it or have any thoughts? Here's a study if you're interested - https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-16138-3