Cancer Drugs Fund changes

I have read on the BBC News website this morning that the Cancer Drugs Fund (CDF) is going to be reviewed. An extra top up of the Fund is due to be announced today but we shouldn’t cheer are there are plans now to assess the effectiveness ie cost against lives extended, of the drugs currently available throughout the CDF. I think the findings will be highlighted on Newsnight as it is one of their reports. But, yet again, it sounds like we, secondary cancer patients in particular, will have more of a fight on our hands than we already have. I do understand that this may be ‘posturing’ gesture from the Government as they try to get the drugs companies to reduce their costs but it’s certainly cause for concern and I hope that BCC will be adding their voices to others that will see this as a step backwards.
Nicky

Thanks for the update Nicky. X

Hello Nicky08

Thanks for your post, it has been passed to our press team to have a look at.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Sounds like good news, but there have been too many problens in recent years, with a drug being available through the Cancer Drugs Fund (that’s how I got 7 cycles of eribulin in 2013) but later turned down on cost-effectiveness grounds by NICE, or whatever it is called these days.