1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chemotherapy - Tips and Tricks

LynnW

Re: Chemotherapy - Tips and Tricks

Morning ladies little tip ... If yr experiencing dry mouth/gums fresh pineapple is good it contains its own saliva producing enzymes also good to freeze & suck chunks if mouth is a bit sore, also always have some sweets in yr bag starburst are a good one get the juices flowing & LOTS OF WATER & keep a bottle with you sending love & hugs ❤️❤️
LynnW

I'm on the celery & cashew soup & chicken pesto sounds delicious xxx
Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi again - great - thank you for the fab postings - definitely something for everyone! You are a star!

xxx
Belle

More Soup.  This time with a photo!  No photos for the others I'm afraid, not sure they exist.  This is from Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall's Cook on the Wild Side.  Nettles are incredibly nutritious and very delicious.

Nettle Soup

Be careful to pick where dogs don't pee!

Serves 4

1/3 carrier bag full of nettles, tops or young leaves

Knob of butter

1 medium onion, finely sliced

1 large carrot, chopped

2 sticks celery, chopped

1 large potato, diced

1 large garlic clove, crushed

500-750 ml chicken stock

pinch of freshly grated nutmeg

Good dollop of crème fraîche plus extra for garnish

salt & pepper

Garnish: fresh chives, parsley

Using gloves, pick over nettles and wash thoroughly. Discard tough outer stalks.

Melt butter in a large pan and sweat the onion, carrot, celery and garlic till soft but not brown. Add the potato and cook till edges soften. Add stock and pile in the nettles. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5-10mins, until tender. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.

Purée the soup. Return to clean pan, heat through without boiling. Check seasoning, serve. Garnish with swirl of crème fraîche and a generous sprinkling of chopped herbs.

Nettle Soup.jpg

LynnW

Bella Thank you for recipes they sound delicious ❤️ XXXX
Belle

Rice Chicken Pesto

Not soup but an incredibly easy dinner for those utterly exhausted days.  It even freezes well (cook for the first 40mins then remove from oven, add tomatoes, cool & freeze.  Reheat by cooking for 30mins at 180c/gas )

Serves 4

6oz long grain rice

8 Chicken thighs

1 pt stock

1 pack of cherry tomatoes (weight unimportant, whatever is to hand)

1 jar green pesto

Pre heat oven to 180c / gas 4

Put rice in casserole

Place thighs on top

Mix together and pour over stock & pesto

Cook for approx. 40 mins.

Add tomatoes.

Cook for further 20mins.

Serve with salad

Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi Bella,

thanks for sharing that one, especially as today has been a bit challenging

- Soup - glorious Soup -

great for those of us with little appetite, but nourishing!

BTW - if you have pictures of it - and on your laptop - you can use the Rich Text tab - and attach it - so we can see it all - and get our mouths watering!

xxx

Belle

Creamy Potato, Parsnip & Butterbean Soup

Substantial soup that really fills you up.  I've never made this dairy free but I see no reason not to experiment which some of the milk alternatives if you want to avoid dairy.

1 tbsp Marg

1 large onion, chopped

3-4 garlic cloves, crushed

3 medium potatoes, chopped

1 15floz can butter beans

1 pint water

1 ½ stock cubes

3 bay leaves

Pinch oregano

1 tbsp lemon juice

½ pint milk

S& P to taste

Melt the marg, add onion and garlic, fry gently till soft. Add potatoes & parsnips and stir. Add butter beans with stock cubes, water, butter liquid, herbs & lemon juice. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20-30 mins till soft. Remove bay leaves, add milk, blend then season to taste.

Belle

Celery and Cashew Nut Soup

Utterly divine soup.  I've included the garnish although to be honest, I can never be bothered to do that.  Packed with protein and lot of veg.  Surprisingly creamy given that there's no cream in it.  From The New Covent Garden Soup Book

Serves 6

75g butter / dairy free spread

2 heads of celery, roughly chopped

4 garlic cloves, finely chopped

150g unsalted cashew nuts

1.5 litres of vegetable stock

To Garnish

50g unsalted cashew nuts, chopped

celery leaves

Melt the butter and cook the celery and garlic gently for 10 mins in a covered saucepan, without colouring. Grind the nuts finely in a food processor and add to the pan along with the stock. Cover, bring to the boil and simmer for about 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Cool a little, then purée in a liquidiser. Pass the soup through a sieve into a clean saucepan.

For the garnish, put the cashew nuts into a frying pan over a high heat. Shake frequently until the nuts brown. Cool.

Reheat the soup gently and serve garnished with toasted chopped cashew nuts and chopped celery leaves.

LynnW

Hi bella thanks I'll wait on recipes hope pre chemo goes ok let me know how u get on 👍 Xxx
Belle

Don't worry Lynn, I didn't even know there was a gadget called a soup maker!  Never used one in my life and cannot see that they are necessary.  Making soup is the easiest thing in the world and there's no need to complicate it.

I'll sort some recipes out later.  Got to dash.  Pre chemo chat today!

B x

LynnW

Bring on the soup recipes I don't have soup maker tho so just be in a pot ❤️ Xxxx
Belle

If I do come up with something, rest assured, you'll all be the first to know!  Unfortunately, I'm just as likely to want that recipe as you.  My best advice at the mo is to fill the freezer on days when you're feeling well so you have a ready supply when you're not.  I had an accident in 2010 which left me chronically ill for 2 1/2 years and during that time I ate a lot of homemade soup.  It's easy to make, nutritious, freezes brilliantly, can be padded out with rice or bread, served with cold meats & salad for a family meal.  Happy to post soup recipes if people would like those?  Trouble is, and I've not been making many yet, I don't know how my taste buds are going to change so my normal favourites may not be so good now??  I've made a Celeriac, Coconut & Lemongrass Soup from the Royal Marsden Cancer Cookbook but that's all in the soup department so far.

B x

LynnW

Got tabs from doc for heartburn so pick up later .... Onwards & upwards 👍 Xxxx
LynnW

Bella yr a genius ❤️ Xxxx
Sue H-S
Community Champion

Thanks Belle,

simply perfect for this tread! And looking forward to more!

If you can come up with anything, which is easy and quick - especially for those, who do not have much energy to completely cook from scratch - would be simply fabulous!  

xxx

Belle

Funnily enough I was discussing the what to eat with my husband this morning!  As for stock, in 'real life' I run a small (but perfectly formed, I like to think 😄 ) preserve company so make a lot of things that go into jars.  In the process I have made a stock mix that is brilliant.  It is Pam Corbin's reciped from River Cottage Handbook No. 2 Preserves.  It couldn't be easier but a food processor is essential. 

Souper Mix

Use within 6 months

Makes 3 x 340g jars

All ingredients are prepared weights (washed, trimmed & peeled where necessary)

250g leek

200g fennel

200g carrot

250g celeriac

50g sun-dried tomatoes

2-3 garlic cloves

100g parsley

100g coriander

250g salt

Place all ingredients into food processor and blend together.  The result will be a moist, granular paste.  Spoon into sterilised jars & seal with vinegar-proof lids.  

Keep one jar of the mix in the fridge for everyday cooking  The rest can be stored in a cool, dark & dry place.

To use, stir 2 tsp (10g) into 500ml hot water.

LynnW

I know !! Just called doc he's gonna call me bk this morning so hopefully get something to help.

Just thought I wld share a lovely act of kindness I received this morning ... I had gone to see a hairdresser b4 chemo re nhs wigs (still on going) anyway he texted me last Friday offering to wash & dry my hair for me, I declined. This morning I was feeling/looking particularly rubbish (hair is like candy floss) so I texted him asking if he was free anytime today would he be able to wash & dry my hair ... He texted back right away saying his local salon is closed today but he's happy to pick me up & drive me to his other salon 30 mins away & sort out my hair all for free !!! I was & am very humbled at such kindness wtat a nice man so keep the faith ladies there are still angels out there ... Lots of love ❤️❤️
Bella boo

Ha ha sorry it's Sue doing all the burping 🙂 hope you get it sorted so you can eat birthday cake later xx

LynnW

Ha thanks bella it's the burn more than burps away to call doc & get something for it 👍 ❤️ Xxxx
Bella boo

Happy birthday Lynn hope you have a great day despite the burps 🎂💫 xx

LynnW

Haha thank you ❤️❤️ Xxxx
Sue H-S
Community Champion

Happy Birthday!!!

Happy Birthday

LynnW

Hi sue that's great thanks I'll call doctor today & see if I can get something, I had a lovely day y'day Brian took me for my b'day pressie & he decided on a pandora Bracelet starting with a pink charm & after every treatment he's going to add another charm so by the end the journey will be marked on my wrist lovely thought ❤️ Hopefully this time next year my 52nd b'day will be far happier than this one 😄 Xxx
Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hiya lynn,

hope you had a great day out yesterday.

To help with your heartburn/indigestion ask your doctor/team, whether they might be able to prescribe you Lansoprazole, which is a gastro-resistant capsule I take one a day 30-60 minutes before breakfast. I am sure it has been my lifesaver, lol, being able to eat normal, without much problems. Yes, the odd burp and wind, but otherwise simply fine! It might work out much cheaper and better than Gaviscon, especially if you have a pre paid prescription certificate. If you do not have one - worth getting - saves soooo much money over time.

Drinking - GREAT - also perhaps some boiled sweets to help with moisture in the mouth. I also have the odd Strepsil Honey and Lemon to ease dryness and scratchiness in the back of my throat.

xxx

Bella boo

Morning Lynn/Sue

well I've ordered the soup maker/juicer yesterday and some recipe books so looking forward to starting. But just seen sue's post re stock cube so will have to try and find the organic ones. Sorry can't help with the heartburn but looking forward to replies so that I can be ready xx

LynnW

Morning Sue many thanks for that it's very useful but as you say it's good not to get too 'caught up' & worried about everything that goes into our bodies or we'd go nuts !! Last few days I have had bother with heartburn/indigestion any tips ? Have tried gaviscon tabs drinking enough water to make my back teeth float but still here this morning 😏 Noticing my mouth & gums dry too .... Oh the joys ❤️ Xxxx
Sue H-S
Community Champion

What we can/should eat or not?!

Meat - meat derived products

At a guess we are all hoping to get advice from our care teams - unfortunately they cannot always give us the advice  we are looking for, as they might become liable, if they were to recommend something, which later might cause us an issue. Hence I am doing some research to help us and make reasonably informed decisions - but, as always - to be taken with care. We are all individual, as our cancers are, too. This is NOT about fads, latest do's and don'ts, but about common sense.

As always - a little of what we like - ALWAYS does us good - it is just a matter of amount.

In general our cancers are receptive to specific hormones. Hormones are in some way or another nearly found in everything, they occur naturally  - so do not panic. We need to look out for foods, and especially meats from animals, which are not overloaded with hormones and antibiotics - and thankfully there are guidelines on this.

So, if you can afford it - go organic for your meat or at least free range AND buy UK origin -  as the kinds of hormone additions given, to keep animals healthy or possibly promote their growth are strickly limited. Actually - giving growth hormones to animals have been outlawed in the UK!

Ready made meals, stock cubes, etc. to make up stock quickly - can be nearly a complete chemical cocktail - again look out for organic ones, so that you can be as sure, as you want to be, that they are as low in hormone and antibiotic additions as possible. And of course - what we need to know on this - is never on the ingredients list! 

So here a few alternatives to stock cubes

http://www.eversfieldorganic.co.uk/buy/osius-organic-chicken-bone-broth_500.htm?gclid=CMTry67J78wCFU...

http://www.kallo.com/things-we-make/stocks-gravies/organic-chicken/

Kallo has other stock cubes, too and can at least be found in most supermarkets

Of course you can still eat ready meals and low cost meat, which are not organic or free range - just keep it in moderation, that is all.

And turning vegetarian or Vegan also has its challenges, but I come to that another time.

Hope it helps to answer some questions for those, who are concerned or unsure...

xxx 

LynnW

Is 3 are just wee hives of information lol I am away to town bn in shower & attempted to make my candy floss oh sorry hair look like hair .... Mmmm it'll have to do 😄 Looking forward to yr hearing about yr project sue 👍 Have a lovely afternoon ❤️ Xxxxx
Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi again, Belle,

Great tip! - Thank you! - will be especially important once the hair is gone and no covering, lol.

A bit of sun is good though on face, arms and legs, unprotected - to help create Vitamin D for our healthy bones - but no longer than 30 minutes and outside of the midday sun time! 

xxx

Belle

Thanks both 🙂

I have tonnes I want to know from the chemo chat but a lot of it is dotting i's and crossing t's.  

Thanks for your kind words about my blog - it's been such a help to me, and if it helps others, brilliant.  Your projects sounds exciting!  Can't wait to hear more.

Back on the subject of this thread, are you all sorted with suncream?  You know we're meant to use factor 50 to avoid sunburn?  Trying to find an effective suncream that doesn't include the hormone disruptors we're meant to avoid isn't easy.  This article explains a bit more about it: http://www.breastcancer.org/risk/factors/sunscreen

Anyway, Neals Yard Organics (https://uk.nyrorganic.com/shop/debrajames/area/shop-online/category/sun-care/) don't use any nasties and their suncream (while pricey, but isn't all this stuff!!) has just been listed as one of the best by The Independent: http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/fashion-beauty/best-body-sunscreen-marks-and-spencer-la...  I've found it really good.

Hope that helps,

B x

Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi Belle,

great to hear about your blog! Brillian idea - and hope you get lots of people  having a look to help so many of us to understand the journey better and that it is not the end - but just a different beginning.

I am in IT, so understand how it works, but have slightly different plans at the mo with regards to promoting and helping others - let's wait till October - have very specific project I am working on. LEt's hope it comes off! Mind you, before it can even start to become reality have to lose my hair, eyebrows and eyelashes, lol. And hopefully keep well!

Will keep you in the loop.

Anything we do, not matter what - keeps us mentally well and forward looking and distracts us from our daily challenges and niggles - so it it sooooo good!

Sorry you have felt unwell, especially in the 'off' time, and I hope you are feeling better very soon.

Good luck with your pre chemo chat - don't forget to ask many, many questions - even in the team talk, many will not be brave enough to ask, but want those answers!

Keep an eye on this thread - much more to come re beauty stuff and foods to keep us fed and healthy, whilst not being to challenging to produce.

xxx

LynnW

Thanks as I say not the best b'day 😏 Is ye 1st chemo 9th June ? My 2nd is 6th June, hopefully be fine keep juicing & get those vitamins in 👍 Xxx
Belle

I'm fed up with the third week of a wicked cold and I've not even started chemo yet!  This is meant to be my 'well' stage: post op & pre chemo 😞 I'm due to start on the 9th and at this rate I'll be delayed.  Not happy.  At the hospital for my pre chemo chat tomorrow so will discuss it then.

Have a fab birthday - glad to hear you're getting treated ❤️

B x

LynnW

Hi B how u today ? As I said not usually my thing but thought I'd give it a go nothing ventured & all that 😄 Have had a productive morning making tea for tonight, juicing, chores & now just painted my nails, my 51st birthday tomorrow so getting taken to town for a pressie not gonna be my finest b'day but never mind I will enjoy the day so away to try & make my chemo hair actually resemble hair b4 I venture out in public love & hugs to all ❤️ Xxxx
Belle

Hi Lynn,

Brilliant idea re: journalling.  Embrace it, I say!  I love writing & have always found it very therapeutic.  Instead of keeping a journal, like many others, I blog: https://gettingabreastofthesituation.wordpress.com 

It's dead easy to set one up and I find it an invaluable way of both dumping what's going on in my head and keeping friends & family informed.  At least, those who want to read it.  I have no problem with anyone who chooses not to.

If anyone wants to set one up and would like help, just shout.  Happy to help.

B x

Sue H-S
Community Champion

Ok,

found nail varnish, which is of good quality and we can use - Nails inc. - there are of course others, i.e. The Body Shop, but the reviews were not too brilliant. So until Clinique restocks - Nails inc. will be it 

So for those of you who want to know - and please note not all ingredients are affecting us - but you should look for 3 Free - and try and avoid those ingredients

3 free.JPG

5 free.JPG

xxx

LynnW

Holland & Barrett organic nail oil very good 👍 Xx
Sue H-S
Community Champion

Would suggest to look for toxin free or  water based nail varnish.

Clinique seems currently out of stock - so researching other relevant and sort of affordable brands - perhaps your mum could come up with something, too?

And yes, acetone free and with Vitamin E and oils, too! the more we nourish our nails the better they will survive! 

xxx

Sue H-S
Community Champion

Lynn,

BRILlLANT idea! And great on this thread, too - as it is - after all - about making us feel good!

xxx

LynnW

Hi sue so best to stick to ordinary dark polish with acetone free remover ? Oh well never mind give us something to do, had a lovely movie night with my daughter last night she is 13 in June she wanted to make me look nice & 'do my make up' I eventually relented ...... Bless her I looked liked coco the clown with dodgy eye liner flicks ..... Did make us laugh ... At my expense but hey who cares ❤️ XXXX
LynnW

Hi Sue I DO EXACT SAME nothing more therapeutic than pulling off shellac !! That was my concern cos when u pull it off I don't think u do yr nails much good but pre chemo nails coped fine just not sure if they cope so well .... Can u imagine pulling shellac off & part of nail comes too !! Not sure that wld be so therapeutic lol I'm thinking the spots maybe all my toxins coming out now that I'm juicing etc ? 1 week after 1st chemo feeling ok today bn up with the lark have unloaded dishwasher, made tea peeled tatties, had my carrot, Apple, pear & ginger juice lots of green tea & a slice of toast & made sons rolls for his work ..... Quite tired but ok 👍 Just a thought ladies (and I HAVE NEVER bn one for this at all) .... Investing in a journal I decided to get one (Amazon £8, believe in Yrself lovely quotes on some pages) I am going to write in it everyday every good/bad thought sometimes it's good to write things down get them out of yr head if nothing else & once this 'blip' is over it's something to look back on & remember how strong we were ..... Just a thought, as I said if anyone has mentioned 'journal' to me pre 'blip' I would have thought them a tad odd & that my life was far too 'busy' for such a 'flowery' thing but never say never ❤️ XXXX
Sue H-S
Community Champion

OOOPS!

Right - some research done - not a good idea after all - sorry!!!

http://www.breastcancer.org/tips/hair_skin_nails/nails

Should tell you all you might wish to know on the subject of nails - and again a bit on lymphoedema, which I did not think of either.......

So I shall be trotting off to Clinique - not necessarily the lowest cost alternative, but at least they have the right stuff and support Breast Cancer Care as one of their causes.

xxx 

Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi Lynn,

Lol, a teenager again, lol! - It might be that it is not the treatment, but just the change of cosmetics, skin is being fed different food.

Mmm, as to the acetone - you are right, it could be a challenge, need to research that one in more depth. Usually the varnish comes off by itself, in due course  with me, as the oils from the nail surface start to build up. I know - I should not then pull them off, but I do, lol.

Logic dictates - no acetone if any damage to cuticles or soreness - and of course, don't breathe the stuff in...

So will be backwith more on that one.

xxx

LynnW

Morning Sue ... Here here I heard that too bout dark nail polish I just used ordinary, my mum is a beautician & does shellac but I was wary re getting it off as it needs acetone do u think it wld b ok ? If so that wld be great for me 👍 I got all my creams from Holland & Barrett organic paraben free u get shower gel, body lotion, nail oil, eye cream etc & they had deals on so I saved £24 so if anyone needs anything it's worth a look 😄 I have got up today with 2 spots !!! One in each side of my nose ..... Thought at 50 I'd be over that but no doubt to do with treatment ..... sending love & hugs to all ❤️ XXXX
Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi again,

and here is another bit - particularly for those , who wish to figure out what is safe or not safe to use with respect to cosmetics and skin care. There is so much out there of what is right or wrong - so here is a link - which will be of help and also covers Parabens. I would suggest to read and explore - and make your own decisions.

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/causes-of-cancer/cancer-controversies/cosmetics-and-toi... There is a thought about that dark nail polish may stop you from losing your nails - losing your nails is very rare - and the colour does not make a difference at all. However, using a dark polish will hide any discolouration you may experience.

I went and had Shellac in a dark brown shimmer put on. This will last for at least 2-3 weeks without chipping, and will save me much time and trouble to keep my nails looking good. I guess it might even last longer - as nails won't grow so rapidly now. But will need to check re formaldehyde in their formulation - Clinique nail varnish is free of this, but yes, you might have to paint them more often, lol.

Nails

As all rapid growing cells, will be stopped for a while, affecting not only all of our body hair, but also our skin and nails - this is what I am doing to keep myself feeling good and my skin in as gooder condition as possible. I currently use a lot of Palmers products, as reported paraben free (although not too concerned about this) but very much value for money - and great results.

Therapy Skin Body Oil every day all over, Sinks in easily and does not leave you being an oil slick, lol. Oodles of Body lotion after the weekly therapheutical bath soak. They als do an eye cream and facial oil, which I find invaluable. And of course their hand cream - a must on a daily basis to keep the cuticles healthy, too.

So here is to looking great - and looking after ourselves!

LynnW

That's it I'm on my phone so keep it simple I'll just reply lol thanks xxxx
Sue H-S
Community Champion

Ah - are you using the site on a mobile phone or tablet perhaps? That button might not be there, lol. I would just click the reply button to the latest post - after all - it adds to the content of the thread - which is the main thing. xxx
LynnW

Sue I'm blind I can see up new topics & 11 replies which one do I click on .... Sorry sound like a right numpty xxx
Sue H-S
Community Champion

Hi Lynn, at the top of the thread - just above the latest post on the left - is a button saying Reply to this thread - Click onto it - and then write away, lol. xx